Mothering Forum banner

Had to lay some smack-down on my mom last night

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Materfamilias 
#1 ·
She called me for no other reason than to see if I was in labor

Uh, no.

I told her *I'd* call *her* when I went in to labor - she's watching our oldest, she'd have to know anyway! I told her calling me every day for updates was a sure-fire way to get me SERIOUSLY pissed off. I was a little afraid of offending her, but not enough to keep my mouth shut, but luckily she just laughed and said "Okay, I'll just leave you alone then!". Come on, people!

See less See more
#3 ·
glad you let her know to not call. it cracks me up every time I call and talk to my mom because she doesn't know when I'm actually due - never told her a real date frame - so she doesn't even ask when I call her just to chat.
I'm so glad that I've kept this info from family. Though friends are now asking each time they catch me on IM... bah.

#4 ·
I have been snapping at everyone who calls with that absolutely moronic question. As if I'm going to hide it and not tell anyone when she is born. Especially the ones who are mothers - they've been through this! They should know better! I would NEVER do that to someone else - it's cruel.

I wish I had enough of a sense of humor left to reply "Oh yeah, we had the baby a while ago - what, you didn't hear? That's old news. She's already taken her first steps!"

I've made it abundantly clear to everyone in our life what our status is by posting it on my blog and also promising a pre-loaded text and email blast when things do finally happen. I've explained that I'm FAR more impatient for baby to arrive than they are and when she does make her entrance I will want to shout it from the rooftops. So back off!

#5 ·
i told my mom, "yep, i had it three days ago and just didn't bother calling..."she didn't think it was funny. i replied that i didn't think her calling and asking was very funny either. so now instead of asking if i'm in labor yet, she asks, "how are the ctx today?" what?! how is that any different/better?!

#8 ·
I can't stand the daily "check up" calls!

My DH said this morning that we were just going to start telling them that we already had the baby, but did not feel like telling anyone.

I don't think they would find that funny either! But it really raised my spirits.

#10 ·
i'll up the anti...i'll see you all the obnoxious calls AND RAISE YOU a neighbor who seems to think my kitchen window is a front door open to her any time the shade is up.
no but seriously, this lady is driving me bonkers. she's so nosy, and she just walks up to my kitchen window and calls in for me. she doesn't go to the front door ever. um, just because we live next door doesn't mean we're BFFs and you get to just come up to my window to chat completely unannounced and uninvited!!!
:

#11 ·
I actually feel really badly for my mom. She is a nervous wreck. My last birth was a little difficult and my mom is such a worry wort, the anticipation is killing her. She calls every morning anyway, just to say hi, but she keeps saying she wishes it was all over and knew everything was OK. My MIL on the other hand is stalking me, because they are taking a 1 week vacation to come up and "help" (umm, yea) and they had scheduled it for this week, since I was due 4 days ago. She makes it seem like if I wanted to have this baby, I could or something... like it's my "fault". ugh...

#12 ·
My parents and ILs have been pretty respectful, but I keep getting texts from my husband's friend's fiance. She's been very nice and given me a bunch of her son's old clothes, but I really don't feel like we're nearly close enough for her to deserve day to day updates.

I don't get why people think we're not going to tell them when things happen. Like I will just forget that I've got some of the most joyous news of my life to share...

#14 ·
My mom keeps calling and saying "I had a dream that you were going to the hospital, are you in labor?" or "I had a dream that you already had the baby and didn't tell me, are you in labor?" sigh. She did the same thing before DD was born, and then proceeded to tell everyone that she *knew* that I had gone into labor before I told her. Well yeah, if you guess I'm in labor every day after 38 weeks, you're gonna be right eventually! She's very much an attention grabber....

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
At the risk of also offending you.......cut her some slack. I would love it if my mother would call me for no good reason. Or for a very good reason. You don't know what you've lost till it's gone.
: Cannot tell you all how many times I've wished I could call my mom to ask her stupid questions about her pregnancies/births. I have to channel her a different way now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.