Natural induction via pressure points? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever heard of this? My doula came to my midwife appt today and they were discussing natural inductions methods as an option, (I'm only 40w2d, it was just a discussion). My doula mentioned a spot on the ankle, 4 fingers up, as a pressure point that could help with contractions or labor. I have never heard of this before.... what do you all think?

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#2 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 PM

I've heard of it. (I think the name of the point, for shiatsu or acupressure purposes, is "spleen 6.") I know people who swear by it (dilated very fast with ankle rubbing there) and I've had a massage and acupuncture this week, focusing on that area among others.

I hope it works! I've finally started contracting, and even though it's the very early stuff ("menstrual cramps"), I'm just happy to be having some activity going on and I hope my cervix is thinning (at the very least.)
#3 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Yes I have heard of it now! I mean, last week (Thursday) I went for some reflexology and accupressure and she did mention that she would be working on something called "spleen 6" and she also worked on a "point" on the inside of my calf on the lower part.

Long story short...I went for my appt. at 4pm got home at 5:30pm, started contractions at about 6pm, baby was here at 12:20am! Oh and I forgot to add that, that morning I went for my appt. and was curious just to see how far along I was, as far as dialating goes and my cervix was closed but soft and anterior. So I would say YES it works....

But just like pretty much all natural induction methods they won't work unless baby is ready anyways.
#4 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 PM

I have heard of it, I just can't find it myself. I wish I could. I would give it a try.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM

my chiro marks the spots for me with a pen each time I go in. DH presses on them when he rubs my feet, but nothing much happens, the spot is tender and painful though so I know he has the right place.
#6 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 PM

My massage therapist just went over a bunch of pressure points that can help to bring on labor. The one you mentioned, she even showed me how to find. Point your toe to flex your calf and press firmly along the back of your leg above your heel, you'll feel a spot that's more tender and that's it.

Another big one is right at the outside edge of your pinkie toenail. Press in on it with your finger. This is also a focus point for moxibustion (burning herbs) to bring on labor, apparently.

She also said that a really firm footrub focusing around the boney parts of the top and sides of the feet can help. It doesn't take a lot of knowledge, just intention. Make sure it doesn't hurt, though.
#7 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I had accupunture 3 time and ended up having my water broken at 42 weeks, but here are the spots. Maybe it will work for you.

In the web between you pointed finger and your thumb.

Insides of the ankle, 4fingerwiths up.
#8 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Mmm, this makes me want to schedule a reflexology treatment!!! Just because my tootsies want some rubbin'!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#9 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM

I gotta say, a nice LONG foot and leg rub sounds WONDERFUL!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM

those have never worked for me. i tried them last time. there is one on the palm of your hand and i slept with clothespins there last time. (i went to 42 wks.) i did have some ctrx after my chiro pressed there last week, but i don't think it actually brings about a baby for me.
#11 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM

I think I'm going to call my chiro tommorow for some acupuncture...
#12 of 13 Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 AM

well, my man is an acupuncturist, and he put needles in the pinky toe place for me yesterday to turn the baby from transverse to vertex and it worked! but she snuck back out again, little stinker. Everytime he works on me with acupuncture I have a really interesting experience that results in what I was hoping for.
#13 of 13 Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 AM

I've heard of this but never knew where to try until now... I'm going to give this a go first thing in the morning!

mama/stepmama (07/08/08/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page