Freakout of the Day...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, here's my latest freakout.

I'm sitting here nearly full term...(I will be 37 weeks for the first time on Saturday.) This is what I've been hoping and praying so hard for. And NOW....I want her OUT!

It's not just because I am tired of being pregnant. It's because of a few recent comments that take me back to years of comments like this one:

"Oh, you've never really experienced a real labor, since your babies were all preemies. So this one will probably be really, really hard."

I have never taken those kinds of comments seriously, because I have definitely pushed three babies out..and it wasn't nothing. But right now, my belly is SO FULL of baby...feeling like at LEAST 8 pounds, and I am terrified that I won't be able to push her out. My biggest was 5 pounds even. My mom's biggest was just short of 6 pounds. I am 5'2" with a fairly small frame.

My midwife told me the other day that my pelvis felt "roomy". As in plenty of room to push out a big baby. But I'm still freaking out. I don't want to rip like crazy, and I don't want the baby to get stuck and end up with a csection. This is my fourth pregnancy, and I have finally made it far enough to have a homebirth. I can't imagine losing it because I can't push the baby out, but the thought it driving me crazy.

all of my other labors were fast, the first being 7 hours, and the other two much less. any suggestions? I think I just need some encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM

I don't have any suggestions really, just

I've sort of been freaking out about a similar issue. I've never pushed out a large baby either (I had 2 c/section) and I know I have sort of large babies (DD was 8 # 8 oz & DS was 8# 10 oz) so I've sort of been wondering how pushing will go as well.

On the flip side though, I've never had strong cxs and haven't really had any noticeable bh cxs either so I keep worrying about wether I'll actually go into labor and if I'll know when I'm in labor. I know... pretty silly. But if I don't go into labor by August 14th we are having another c/section. And my OB refuses to induce or Augment because of risk of rupture.

But I think its probably pretty normal to have fears about these sort of things, just as long as we don't let them consume us.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM

I don't have much to offer from experience, but I have been told by many that larger babies were easier to get out than the smaller ones.

Perhaps that is true?

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM

I hope I can provide some reassurance. I'm only 5'2" and my pre-preg weight was 105lbs. I danced classical ballet for years - I have a pretty tiny frame.

I pushed out an 8 pounder in 5 hours without tearing at all. This time, I think I have a 9 pounder brewing and I'm wholly confident that I will be able to birth this one as well, based on that experience.

I am also fully confident that you will be able to push this babe out! Maybe you can read some birth stories about big babies born at home to further increase your confidence. I totally believe that if you're afraid of it, you can manifest that during labor and unintentionally prolong things. I hope for you that you're able to conquer this fear and feel like the warrior mama you are! After all, this pregnancy IS different for you, your body is working beautifully thus far, and it will surely work for you when it comes time to birth. Trust your body to take care of you both and I believe it will!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, ladies. I talked to my midwife, and she told me I could do it. I know that you can bring things on by focusing on them. I don't want to do that...but at the same time, I have to acknowledge and go through whatever I am experiencing. I'm feeling better. thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Just because a baby weighs more, doesn't mean it's head is much bigger. They'll just have more healthy fat on them, and fat smooshes (very technical term, "smooshes"!)

I'm 5'3" and the baby I pushed out (first was cesarian and a bit smaller) weighted 9lbs. 2oz. I had a "stretch" but not really a tear and it was more due to positioning than baby size.

If you put your hand on the baby's head as you push it out, you might feel more in control. You can let the head ooze out slowly and be more likely to avoid any damage.

Also, a more upright position and supporting your perineum can help. Your midwife will most likely do this, she'll just hold a warm compress on your bottom while the baby's crowning. Talk to her about it ahead of time. Oh, and you can also lubricate with oilve oil or some other natural oil (almond, jojoba...).

You can absolutely do this! It will be so much nicer to know the baby's well developedand at home with you right away! Even if pushing takes a bit longer, it might be gentler on your body and it will help the baby's lungs get ready.

edit: I started typing that out before I saw your post, I'm glad you feel better! You're right, you need to address every little thing and get it out of your way so you can have a happy birth!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redorchid View Post
Just because a baby weighs more, doesn't mean it's head is much bigger. They'll just have more healthy fat on them, and fat smooshes (very technical term, "smooshes"!)

I'm 5'3" and the baby I pushed out (first was cesarian and a bit smaller) weighted 9lbs. 2oz. I had a "stretch" but not really a tear and it was more due to positioning than baby size.

If you put your hand on the baby's head as you push it out, you might feel more in control. You can let the head ooze out slowly and be more likely to avoid any damage.

Also, a more upright position and supporting your perineum can help. Your midwife will most likely do this, she'll just hold a warm compress on your bottom while the baby's crowning. Talk to her about it ahead of time. Oh, and you can also lubricate with oilve oil or some other natural oil (almond, jojoba...).

You can absolutely do this! It will be so much nicer to know the baby's well developedand at home with you right away! Even if pushing takes a bit longer, it might be gentler on your body and it will help the baby's lungs get ready.

edit: I started typing that out before I saw your post, I'm glad you feel better! You're right, you need to address every little thing and get it out of your way so you can have a happy birth!
I like these thoughts!

Fat squooshes! Head same size...yes!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*

User Tag List