GBS questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
erica57401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im sure that we have gone over this a dozen times...but somewhere in my madness of collecting information...I forgot what info I got from where. I need some 'guidance' if you will on the GBS+ thing.

So, my culture came back 'light' and ob said that opting out of the antibiotics for me would be fine. I am also allergic to penicilin and have never had IV antibiotics before because of that allergy...so I knew even before I got the results back that I was going to opt out of the antibiotics.

My issue comes with the baby. The hospital requires that all babies who are born to GBS+ mothers have their blood cultured and be treated with antibiotics. I don't want this AT ALL...and frankly Im a bit nervous about passing the allergy onto my child as both of my parents are also allergic to penicilin. Now I know that there is such a slight risk for t he baby to actually get group b strep and from what i understand she could get it from anywhere in the first few months of her life...people who don't wash their hands, etc.

I have currently decided to opt out of all injections/blood work and screenings on the babe until I decide that its appropriate....but you know how it is being a first time mom, you don't want to make a bad decision and lose your baby...so I guess Im asking what all of you experienced moms would do in my case?? Should I just have her blood cultured to see if she's positive and opt out of antibiotic treatment at all until I know for sure whether or not she's + or - or should I just refuse everything all together and monitor her for symptoms at home??

ugh...i don't know I waited until the last moment to think of all of this...

perhaps it was the nurse who took us on the tour of the ob ward...ohmuhgod did that woman put the fear of god into me...

DH is not leaving the infant's side...that's all I can say....
erica57401 is offline  
#2 of 5 Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
 
julesinottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not going to be much help here but I wanted to share that I am also allergic to penicillin as well as a couple of other antibiotics and neither of my older kids are (don't know about the new baby yet). I think you just have to come to a decision between you and your dh and stick by it. And just so you know, even a third time mom can still agonize over those decisions and feel pressured, you aren't alone. The medical world has a knack for getting their way...it's called guilt.
julesinottawa is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
 
mhaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also remember that you could have a different nurse that would explain things better and make you feel more comfortable w/ the decision you make. I would discuss it, and yep even w/ your 3rd you still aren't sure!
mhaddon is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
 
prothyraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Borean Tundra
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me it would depend on a few things. By 'blood culture' do they mean a full septic workup, or something like just taking one blood sample? I'd personally be inclined towards accepting a simple blood draw, but nothing more. If I was in the hospital, anyway.

How much time do you have before you're due? If I had ended up testing positive for GBS, I'd look into some ways to kill the bacteria (probiotics, garlic, Hibiclens, immune-boosting supplements) and then re-tested.

It's also possible your membranes won't rupture until well into labor- Rowan's didn't until his head was being born, which would make the risk of transmission almost nonexistent.

It's tricky. Most countries (including those with much better infant mortality rates than the US) don't test for this at all, and the evidence seems to suggest that screening and treating for it may save a few babes from GBS but cause us to lose more from other (now drug resistant) infections. But emotionally, it's a tough decision. (and the first of many...they get easier as time goes on, though!)
prothyraia is online now  
#5 of 5 Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 PM
 
goldingoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is absolutely no scientific peer-reviewed evidence that treating Strep B+ mom's with antibiotics prevents transmission to babies, as for testing babies, I know nothing.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

goldingoddess is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off