Mothering Forum banner

Moms with GD I need some help

590 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kamesennin 
#1 ·
I seem to have developed over the last week a sensitivity to sugar. Last Friday (a week ago) I did not get dinner until late. I did not eat much, but did finish with 3 bites of dessert. I ended up light headed and feeling crappy and trying not to fall out on the floor. Got home, went to bed, all was well.

Well, yesterday I had lunch with a friend and I ended up feeling the same way. The mw that checked me said I should have had eggs for breakfast (I know, but I am just sick of them!) instead of 1 pop tart... So, basically we deduced I'm not doing well with sugar digestion at this point.

It is easy to give it up when it makes you feel like total crap - like you are going to fall out and not wake up. So, I have replaced sugar with protein - but I know I have not replaced it 100%. That is where I need your help. Please give me your ideas for good protein sources that are low in sugar. DH keeps saying peanut butter, but that has to be pretty high in sugar.

Help me with my diet please! I don't think I can exist much longer preggo feeling this way

See less See more
#2 ·
natural peanut butter doesn't have any sugar in it.

I found a new little yummy treat that I really like: making panini sandwiches in my waffle iron. I made a ham, swiss, and veggie one with last night, threw some mustard on the inside, and olive oil outside and then just squished it in the waffle iron...yum yum!

blueberries help metabolize sugar, so does liver, which I cannot stand. I took dessicated liver with my last pregnancy when I was diagnosed with GD.

how about cheese/crackers/hummus, with some tomatoes and cucumbers?

or throw some grilled chicken into your salad?

hope you feel better!

#3 ·
Anyone know if it is possible this is due to my thyroid being out of whack?? I do have hypthyroidism and because at 30 weeks my meds were making me hyperthyroid they changed my meds (lowered them). It just seems odd that this is happening to me now!

#4 ·
Are you sure you're hyperglycemic? You could be the opposite--low blood sugar. Have you gotten a high reading on a blood stick? I'm hypothyroid too (they also lowered my dosage around 30 weeks) and had GD from 25 weeks. At the end of my preg I was getting super lows during the day, under 70 so I would have to drink some juice to get my blood sugar up again. I think the key is having balanced meals--protein, veggies, some carbs. Small meals every few hours, like 3 main meals and 3 snacks. Some other food options are smoothies with natural peanut butter, almonds, trail mix (without the dried fruit), cottage cheese, cheese tortillas, string cheese, protein bars, yogurt--

Hope that helps
Liane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.