I wish my body would just make up its mind! - UPDATE #4!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Timeable, painful contractions on Tuesday morning that petered out after lunch. Bloody show in the middle of the night Tuesday/Wednesday and LOTS of mucus during the day, so much so that I stayed home from work thinking labor was imminent - not so. Just lots of mucus and random contractions. So I'm at work today with more painful, timeable contractions and blood every time I go pee, but not enough so that I think I should go home. Just make up your freaking mind and decide whether or not you're in labor! I swear I'm not going to believe it's labor until my water breaks or I start to push!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#2 of 18 Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Sending ELV your way!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#3 of 18 Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I think you need to adopt the "it's not labor until I'm crowning" philosophy. I haven't had blood or plug or any real signs....but every movement that is soft or contraction pattern I get, I get my hopes up that it is around the corner...and then nothing. I feel your disappointment and anxiousness for sure!!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#4 of 18 Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Luke Nicholas was born Thursday night (the 24th) at 10:03 p.m.! Huh, I guess it was labor. I was crabby and in denial until about 6 p.m. when DH got home, and at 7 we sent DS to my mom's for the night, still not quite believing I was in labor, but at 8:15 I told DH to call the midwife (which apparently doesn't really mean "call the midwife" - she almost missed the birth!). I wasn't in hard labor by then, but I finally realized it was really going to happen. I labored along quite fine by myself in our bedroom until transition hit at about 9:15. I hauled ass to the bathroom for some reason and screamed down to DH asking where the midwife was - "I haven't called her yet..." Oh, if he'd been upstairs I would have beat him. Apparently since I didn't tell him what to tell her when he called, that meant he really didn't have to call So I literally screamed "CALL THE MIDWIFE!!" and started crying because I didn't think she'd make it in time and I needed the support. He brought the phone upstairs and was talking to her and I could her her asking him questions, which I answered. "How are the contractions?" THEY SUCK!!!! "How far apart are they?" I DON'T CARE!!! I heard her laugh and say "That's good!", which surprisingly didn't irritate the hell out of me. As soon as DH hung up I ordered him to set up the pool, which I knew I wouldn't get to use - it'd take 15 minutes to blow up and an hour to fill and I knew I didn't have that much time. I labored in transition in the bathroom for about half an hour, primal screams and all (at one point I even had the presence of mind to close the windows because I knew the neighbors were outside), hollering quite often that I couldn't/didn't want to do this anymore. DH told me to come downstairs and get in the pool, which made me roll my eyes because I knew it wasn't filled, and sure enough there were about 4 inches of water in it. Ooh, yay! So I made him put a chux down in front of the pool and I labored there. Oh boy, yeah, now I know why people take the drugs in the hospital. Cried some more because I didn't see how this baby was going to come out without ripping me from the inside out, hung on DH and hollered some more when I started pushing. The midwife showed up about then, it wasn't quite 10 yet. She told me later that she recognized the "perineal yell" as soon as she got to the door. Threw her stuff down on the ground, grabbed some gloves, and got down eye-level with me. At this point I was on one knee with my hands on the ground and my body was pushing by itself. Told everyone yet again that I didn't want to do this anymore, she encouraged me and told me I WAS doing it, and that's when I felt the ring of fire. I think I even yelled "ring of fire" at her. Head came out and I got a tiny break, but my body immediately started pushing the shoulders out, then I felt the rest of him slide out, and it was over. The midwife caught, he was this tiny little bloody thing in her hands, and he started squawking almost immediately. She was encouraging me to take off my shirt and hold him but I couldn't move, I couldn't even sit down, so she had DH help me. Sat on the floor with him for a while, then my legs started falling asleep so we moved over to the couch. He nursed for the first time about half an hour after he was born, and I delivered the placenta about 90 minutes after birth. It was a tiny little thing! But healthy, no tears or calcifications or anything. And I only got a couple little skid marks, no tears for me either! After we cut the cord we weighed him - 5 lb 15 oz! Surprised the hell out of me! I was thinking maybe 7 pounds, never imagined he'd only be 5! She thinks he would have been 6 pounds if he hadn't pooped twice before we weighed him though. She checked him out, then checked me out again, and we trekked upstairs for a little bath. I had blood and meconium all over me, he had meconium all up his back and blood clots in his hair. Got cleaned up and dressed (word of advice for the first-timers - the undies you put on immediately after birth will get completely trashed. Just accept it.) and tucked into bed. She left me and the baby alone and her and DH went downstairs to clean up. She checked on us a couple of times before she left, DH says she left at about 2, and that was it.

I'm not going to lie, transition SUCKED. Oh. my. god. did it SUCK. But I think it would have been a heck of a lot better if DH had actually, you know, CALLED the midwife when I told him to, and if I had been able to use the pool. So yep, next time (if there is a next time) I'll still do it at home.

Pictures coming soon, I gotta offload them off the camera and upload them somewhere.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#5 of 18 Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Wow, what a story mama. congratulations!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#6 of 18 Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Congratulations on your new little guy!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 18 Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
hyz

Congratulations--it sounds like you did great! : Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#8 of 18 Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 PM
SFB

Congrats!

Sandra.  Married to Scott since 9-00.  Mom to Erika 7-06, Ava 8-08 and Lukas 10-10.  hbac.gif novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif femalesling.GIF winner.jpg familybed1.gif
#9 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Congrats mama! Welcome Luke!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#10 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Cool. Congratulations! :

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#11 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Congrats! Can't wait for pics.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#12 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Congratulations!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#13 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Congrats! My dh didn't get the pool filled up fast enough last time either. I labored in quite a cold pool because of it!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Wow, that is quite a birth story. Welcome baby Luke!
#15 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Congrats! You did great!
#16 of 18 Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM

: Congratulations!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#17 of 18 Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM

great story to read, thank you for sharing. particularly the part where you scream "I DON'T CARE!" how vividly i know that place in labor... you did it! have a wonderful restful babymoon!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#18 of 18 Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 AM

I think you've been working with the same midwife we are working with - Rachel Knudson? She's lovely! She told us last Saturday that she'd just helped two people deliver little boys called Luke! I am so happy that you shared your birth experience

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page