Today was a hard day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has been back to work since Monday and things had been going really well. I cooked nice dinners Monday and Tuesday and actually served them at a reasonable time! Along with getting chores and errands done during the day.

Well today was a different story. Baby Caroline was just fussy today. It was the first time (well besides our first night home) it just seemed never ending. She slept so much less today then she normally does. To top it off, 2 weeks of not very restful sleep are really starting to wear on me(I am sleeping but its just not the same restful sleep I used to get, kind of hard when someone insists on sucking on your boob all night or using it as their personal pillow ). I finally got her to sleep around 3:30 and then we both slept for about 2 hours.

We are going to the neighbors tonight for a party where there will be food so I don't have to cook dinner but I did make a fruit salad earlier.

Not sure what the point of this post is, just looking for support I guess. I feel like I had that moment today when I just wanted to give up or something. I mean, not really, I love my baby and don't regret bringing her into this world for a second! It's just hard sometimes, YKWIM?

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Oh mama, it IS hard. I think the first few months of being a new mama for the first time are really tough and sometimes really lonely. When things are rough for me the parenting mantra that I always come back to is "This too shall pass." For me, it just helps get through the tough times and to enjoy the good times more. Hope it helps a little.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM

Jenna. I totally know how hard it can be.

Madeleine is sleeping less at this point, too, and of course they start to get bored or something, but there's not a whole lot for them to DO. She also gets MAD when she still wants to nurse but doesn't want more milk. I finally got her to start taking a paci & I think she's getting it now that if she wants to suck but doesn't want more milk that's the way to go.

Hang in there, don't overdo it, take it easy & get some rest. It goes such a long way to making those hard days more bearable.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM

As I was reading your post, I was thinking.....hmmm, growth spurt? I find those times to be so trying because you're the only one this little human being wants! But, like PP said, this too shall pass.

BTW...you are doing way better than I was with #1!!! I remember DD being a month old and DH asking if I was ever going to cook again! You're doing a great job! And this precious newborn is quickly going to grow into someone who gives you real feedback about all the love you're giving her! It's the best!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Like PP have said, you're doing great, Jenna!

You cook and relatively on time?! You got me beat!

I have had those days/moments with each of my kids. I love them dearly, but there are those times that I feel like a good cry and wonder why in the world I ever thought this was a good idea or wonder if it's possible to just stick them back in for a bit. It does get easier!!

Avalon was an absolute angel the first week. Then getting into the 2nd week she started crying more, staying awake more, and having periods of fussiness. I think it's a process they're going through. It doesn't seem like it now, but it won't be long and these babes will be lots more fun and so much easier to handle!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Yeah I think it sounds like you are doing great. Honestly I think having #1 is the hardest thing ever-- it is SUCH a big transition from having no kids. Go easy on yourself, it is really OK if you have to order takeout one night, or if the house gets messy or whatever. Soon Caroline will be older and her routine will be a little more predictable- and it also gets more fun and rewarding when they are bigger and more interactive.

You are definitely not alone in feeling down sometimes though- I just had a good cry myself- still feeling guilty that my older dd does not have 100% of my time anymore!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Two weeks is right on target for that first really noticeable growth spurt, nursing jag and sleep deprivation experience! to you and the little one, mama. It's tough for both of you to become acclimated to this whole new world.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM

p.s.- Do you have a sling or other baby carrier? I am finding it so valuable this time around as Henry doesn't like to be put down. I am using a Kozy Mei tei carrier and it's really comfortable. It really helps when I need to get something done!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
As I was reading your post, I was thinking.....hmmm, growth spurt? I find those times to be so trying because you're the only one this little human being wants! But, like PP said, this too shall pass.
:

Maggie is in the midst of a growth spurt as well, and I'm having exactly the same feeling. She nurses hourly, doesn't want to be put down and DH is so swamped with schoolwork (two papers and and exam this week alone) that he has been sleeping elsewhere.

Everyone tells me the growth spurts only last a few days, and that these first 6 weeks are the hardest. So we just need to hang in there! I can't wait until I can catch 3, maybe 4h of sleep at a time!!!

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Well of course after I came on her and complained she slept like an angel last night, no fussing at all, just nurse and then right back to sleep!

She has also had a good morning so far. I was able to sling her (love my Maya wrap!) and get chores done so that was cool. She has been down for a nap for a while now.

No sure what was going on yesterday, can growth spurt type activity only be one day? You know, now that I think about she has been having some pretty fussy periods for maybe 4-5 days, it just seemed to peak yesterday and combined with my sleepy state it was hard to handle.

I know this time is short and the not so fun parts shall pass. I just need to remember to cherish all the wonderful times too.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM

I was going to suggest a maya but it looks like you have it underr control And I love the color of your wrap!

I find around this time the honeymooning wears off and I'm just plain tired. Everyone goes back to their lives and I'm still here with a newborn and chores, LOL. It seems like things are going OK for you today so that's good

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Oh mama, I TOTALLY understand what you mean. You sleep at night, but it's not restful sleep. You worry about things (totally normal) and wake to feed and all that good stuff. Feeling over worked almost is a good way to put it. My nips are sore today for the first time in 2 weeks and I SOOO wanted him to nap for a while so i could rest them for a bit. Oh and if I'm given the chance, I fall asleep, on the couch, in the car, watching TV, or just what ever. I guess this is my body's way of 'catching' up on what I'm lacking.

I'll only get better mama!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 AM

Yeah, my guys put me through some tough hours last night and all day today. Outrageous. My temp was way up yesterday and I was fairly dehydrated, so I couldn't decide if my supply had crashed (hence the frenzied nursing) or if they were hitting a growth spurt (hence, the frenzied nursing.) Plus, BECAUSE my temp was 104.9, I just felt awful and despairing. Ironically, it was later at night, after my temp had dropped some, when I went to wake Joe and told him I was arguing the babies out of their crying and nursing and that I needed help because I just wanted to quit and wanted them to stop, etc.

Today, I think it's growth spurt because even though my breasts are soft and feel "empty," they spurt when I express anything. They are 12 days old, so maybe???
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 PM

This may be stupid but after dh went back to work when my ds was born and I was feeling down, I would make a list of every little tiny thing I accomplished that day, from having a shower or getting dressed to getting dinner made. At the bottom of every list I would write in huge letters CARED FOR ONE HELPLESS INFANT BY MYSELF ALL DAY. That would always make me realise how much I was really doing. And when I found those lists last year, it really made me smile.

You're doing great Jenna. Be easy on yourself. And anytime you have a hard day you can come here to be told "it's ok, we know how you feel!" :

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg

User Tag List