Ashley May is here!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LONG birth story! So I'll give quick stats, first!

Ashley May
July 27th @ 11:49 PM
Via c-section
7 lb 3 oz
18.5 inches

You can check out pictures on my blog since I am having issues attaching pics for whatever reason... http://kerriaz.blogspot.com/

I started having light contractions around 6:30 on Sunday evening. They weren’t painful at all, just an uncomfortable tightening of my back. We were over at my FIL’s house visiting Kevin’s brother and family who were in town from Japan. I told Kevin that I wanted to go home that I wasn’t feeling very well. I wasn’t sure if these were the real thing or not since I had had SO many “episodes” of contractions that fizzle. So we came home and watched TV and I goofed on the net for a bit. Then I wanted to go lie down, so we went into the bedroom and flipped on the TV and started watching the Wizard of Oz. At 9, the contractions suddenly - and I do mean SUDDENLY - turned downright painful! I went through a couple of them and then Kevin asked me if it was time to go back to his dad’s house. (His dad was going to watch the kids - along with help from BIL and SIL.) So, we headed over and dropped them off and headed to the hospital, calling my mom on the way. We got there and the contractions were 2 minutes apart and OH SO PAINFUL. They got me into a triage room and got me hooked up. Then the nurse told me that the hard lump I felt on top of my belly felt like a head to her. I was SO hoping that she was NOT going to confirm what *I* was thinking, too! They called my doctor and while they were waiting for her to get there, they busted out the ultrasound machine to double check that she was breech. Sure enough, head up high, little feet in the birth canal! So, once my doctor got there, she looked again and yep, no doubt about it - footling breech! How “lovely”! She was VERY upset that they sent me home last Monday when, if they had just kept me, I would have been induced, yes, but it would NOT have been a c-section. Dr. B made an attempt to see if she could turn her but it was a no go. It was just WAY too painful for me, not enough fluid to do it, and she got her to budge a bit, but then as soon as Dr. B removed her hands, she went right back to where she was. Dr. B gave me the option of getting an epidural right then and them trying ti flip her or just going right into a c-section. I was in such pain that I wasn’t sure. I asked her for her opinion. I trust her fully - especially seeing as she knew how much I did NOT want a c-section. She gave me her opinion that she felt a c-section would be best. Paperwork started coming at me fast and furious and I finally said to just let my DH sign for everything. It was to much for me to try to sign while being nervous about the c-section, throwing up my dinner, and having HARD contractions that were now 1 minute apart. They took Kevin off to go get some scrubs and my mom held my hand through some rough contractions and held a pan under my head while I threw up - all while shaking rather violently through it all. Then I was ready to be taken to the OR. They pushed shakey ol’ me in and got the spinal going. They also had to give me a shot of terbutaline to get my uterus to stop contracting so they could perform the section and some Demerol so that I would stop shaking so badly. The nurse in the OR had read over my chart and had seen everything that had happened during the pregnancy and said, “So, I’m taking it this is going to be your last?” My doctor said, “Who says that? She’s so not done.” I laughed and asked her how she was so sure. She told me that she knew me better than that and then said, “Besides, the kids you make are too cute for you to stop.” LOL I had a great group of people in the OR. The nurses were really good and asking me things to get my mind off of everything and the anesthesiologists (2 of them) were SO great. One even held a pan for me while I threw up and helped wiped me off and told me jokes the whole time! LOL They got me all comfy and set up and Kevin came in, cracking jokes to try to get me to focus on other things than being nervous! Then everything began! She was born, feet first, shortly after at 11:49 p.m. Her cry was one of the sweetest sounds I have ever heard! I was just SO relieved that she was here finally and that she was fine! She was COVERED in vernix (which the nurse said, “THAT is why she flipped so much! She was well ‘greased up’!” LOL) and nice and pink (under her coating of white! LOL) and looking JUST like my other two kiddos. And MAN was she so alert! Just looking all around taking everything in, just like Katelyn did! When they cleaned her up and put her on my arm/chest, I just couldn’t stop kissing that so soft cheek and saying over and over to my DH that she looked just like Calvin! LOL Then Kevin went with the nurse to take her to the nursery and get her fully cleaned up and all that while I got all stitched back up. That took quite some time because I kept having bleeds. My doctor told me after that she had NEVER had to do what she had to do with me - take my uterus in and out SIX times before all the bleeds were under control so she could close me up! (Fortunately, I didn’t lose enough blood for a transfusion, just “small irritating bleeds” to use Dr. B’s words! LOL) Then I was taken into recovery. Kevin came in to be with me in recovery while my mom went into the nursery to be with Ashley. Then they traded places and after I had been in recovery for an hour, Kevin came back with Ashley. I tried to nurse her and she took RIGHT away and nursed like a champ! Mom and Kevin both said that when they had her in the nursery, it was like she was looking for me! She was going to TOWN on her fists and making sucking motions when her hand wasn’t there! LOL Kevin left a little before 3 to go get the kids and take them home and get some rest before coming back and bringing the kids to meet their sister. I got to my room at 3:30 and by the time we were settled in and I fed the baby again, it was 4:30. I overheard the OR/recovery nurse telling the night nurse that she was going to have good time with me. She said, “You will enjoy yourself with this one! She is SUCH a sweetie! I’m sorry I’m not working up here so I can continue caring for her!” Made me feel really good! I was SO ready for some sleep after everything. Ashley was snuggled in beside me in a “nest” made of pillows and me! LOL I am lucky that Ashley is a good baby and sleeps well and when she DOES cry, it’s not that loud! LOL (The baby in the room next to me, however, now HE had a set of lungs that did not STOP! LOL While I was there, all of the nurses kept telling me how well I was doing and that I was healing quickly. When I would go for my walks and I would pass the nurses station, they all kept telling me how good I looked and how well I was doing with my walking and all that. And then when my doctor came in to check my on Tuesday afternoon, she said that I was looking REALLY good and that she was hearing good things about me from the nurses! LOL She said that I was doing so well that I could go home that night if I wanted to instead of waiting to be discharged in the morning. So, by the time I got all my discharge stuff and got my staples out we left the hospital a bit before 9.

The kids are just loving their sister all up! Katelyn is just beside herself that she has a sister. And I was worried about Calvin, but he seems to be loving her just as much as Katelyn does! He is always coming over and patting her head or back and saying, “Oh, baby!” And he kisses her all the time and wants to hug her and hold her. SO relieved! I was worried about him seeing as he gets so jealous if Katelyn sits my lap! But he’s taking it all in stride. I mean, this IS only my second day home and Kevin was home yesterday, so we will see if it continues or if jealousy comes in, but for now, things are good and we are all just loving up on this little girl!!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#2 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM

yay!!!!!! I knew you were off having her because you stopped posting!

Congratulations to you and speedy recovery
#3 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM

Congratulations on your sweet little girl!

Sorry about the section but it sounds like you have a doctor that you really trust and everything went well!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#4 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM

Aww she is beautiful. Congrats!!
#5 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 PM

Congratulations!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM

YAY Kerri!!! so glad she's here and doing so well!!! I'm sorry that you ended up with a C-section, but it's the end result that counts . It seems like several of us ended up with C-sections that didn't plan on one kwim?

Welcome Ashley May!!! :

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Congratulations!! Welcome sweet little girl! : Sorry about the section also, I hope you have a easy and speedy recovery. I'm glad everything turned out well though!
#8 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Oh I forgot to look at the pictures before but I just looked at them now! She is a beauty! Her head looks big! But I guess that must just be the photos because she is just a little peanut like my DD

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#9 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Welcome baby Ashley! I hope your recovery will be relatively easy.
#10 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Congrats!! I hope you have an easy and quick recovery!

Wife to my wonderful man, mommy to DS 02/2005, DD 12/2006, DS 07/2008, Matthew 10/4/2009, 2 and Due 11/2010!!
#11 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Congrats! Happy babymooning!
#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Congrats! I hope you're healing well
#13 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Congratulations Mama and Welcome Little One! :

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#14 of 14 Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Congratulations!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page