My Liam Xander is here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He was born July 30 weighing 7 lb 6oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. I of course think he is the sweetest thing since strawberry jam.

I had been having ctx that were 7 min apart all day tuesday and at about 6pm the suddenly went to 2 min apart. This is exactly what happened when ds1 was born so I called the midwife. She came over and things kept up like that until 2 am. I lay down next to dh and tried to rest and ended up falling asleep. When I woke in the morning ctx were again 7 min apart and less intense.

In the meantime my midwife had another mom go into labor. Due to a little bit of fear on my part of having a uc we sat down to discuss our options. I am not afraid of ucing personally but it was a first homebirth for my dh and he has a tendency to pass out when people he loves are bleeding or in pain. I knew I wanted to make this birth okay for him (he had never seen a birth but had an ex who died after giving birth to a child of his-they were young and the child was put up for adoption- years ago and he has never quite recovered). So it was very important to all of us that this go smoothly for dh.
The midwife was concerned that because this birth was following the pattern of my last one and I was already at about 4cm. And she said my bag of waters had a tear in one layer but not the second and she suspected it would break at any second. When my water broke she said the head was in such a position that things would probably be like my first birth and move really quickly. AND, she needed to leave if things weren't speeding up in the next couple hours.

I considered the possibility of a uc with dh passed out, ds1 freaked out, and me in labor. The me part and the baby part I could handle. The rest of it, not so much.

She ran through the list of options. I was uncomfortable with what I had read about using the cohoshes to jumpstart things.
I opted to rub a little pitocin on nostrils and just see if that gave things a kickstart. She let me know that the pitocin that she uses was 10x less strong than the stuff they give women in the hospital. So, she put some on a q-tip and I rubbed it on the inside of my nostrils.

Things got a little more intense over the course of the next hour but not unbearably so. When they began to speed up we stopped the pit to see if my body would continue to move on its own. The contractions were still 7 min apart but stronger. My son woke up around 8 and came in and sat on the bed with me. I rubbed his toes and he stroked my hair during contractions. The ctx were totally bearable but having him close was very special. And he felt grown up helping.

Then at 8:30 they started coming 2 min apart. Within 5 or ten min they were right on top of each other just like my other birth. DH woke up. I went into the shower so he wouldn't see me going through transition and because I really wanted a little more distraction at that point. The water felt good. I breathed and swayed through 3 or 4 really strong ones, toweled off, went out in the playroom, had one ctx on dh, 1 leaning over the banister on my way back into the bathroom, and one as I sat on the toilet. I felt a pop and lots of pressure as my water broke, said something like "Oop, there it goes."

Dh and the midwife helped me get back into the bedroom, she tried to get the heartbeat and was having a hard time finding it. She had me get on hands and knees and said "Oh, your crowning, the head is right there." Deja vu for me. I knew I was about 2 seconds away from having this little person. The pushing was a lot easier this time than with ds1. He slid out in just 2 pushes. He was born at 9:06 am.

DH stayed conscious through the whole process (well once he woke up lol). Though I am usually a low intervention person I was glad I gave things a little push this time. Next time I would opt not to and just chance a uc but doing what we did made this a kind of healing experience for dh I think. And it wasn't so much intervention that my labor pattern differed at all from my first birth. When I had ds1 the midwife lived within a 1 minute walk from my apartment. This time she was a 40 minute drive and had she left to attend the other mom she definitely would not have made it, assuming that my body would have followed a similar pattern anyway, it just would have been a little later that my water broke.

I am amazed at how greatI feel. I have to say, on the placenta front- placenta is yummy mixed in a smoothie with frozen strawberries, crushed pineapple, and coconut milk. Pina colada placenta... And, it seems to reduce afterpains a bit for me. I find after I have a smoothie I don't feel them as much for several hours.

I am also really pleased that I didn't tear. All in all, despite just a bit of guilt over using the pit, I had a wonderful birth. My mother in law pulled me aside and said that when she walked in (15 min after the baby was born, she could see that DH had such a triumphant look on his face and was more pleased than she had ever seen him.

Little Liam is so sweet, he looks a lot like ds1. He is a champion nurser and has been doing all those things babies do their first day of life in good form. Sleep eat, pee, sleep eat, sleep eat, look around at the world, sleep eat poop...etc.

Yay! Babies rock! I hope all you mamas still cooking are feeling alright, wishing you all Birth Zen.
H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Congratulations!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#3 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Awesome! Congrats mama!! Love the name! :
#4 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 AM

Congratulations!! : Welcome little Liam!
#5 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM

Welcome baby Liam! Interesting about the way your midwife had you use pitocin to help things along; I had never heard of it used that way before.
#6 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Congrats mama! I love his name

Wife to my wonderful man, mommy to DS 02/2005, DD 12/2006, DS 07/2008, Matthew 10/4/2009, 2 and Due 11/2010!!
#7 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a great birth!
#8 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Congrats! I like the name too. Are you a Buffy fan?
#9 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM

YAY!! mama, and welcome little one!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#10 of 11 Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 PM

Sounds wonderful! Congratulations!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#11 of 11 Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Congratulations!!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page