Question re swelling for c sectioners... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my GOSH you guys! My feet and ankles are SO swollen tonight! I have completely LOST my ankles, my feet are SO fat that I can't get my mule-type shoes on, and my toes look like sausages! (I have NEVER swelled at all DURING pregnancy...) Is this a c-section thing? Why are they swelling? They hurt! Is hurts to walk because they are so swollen where your foot bends and so they are thick and dont really bend...

They started swelling after doc's office hours, so I will call them in the morning... Anyone have suggestions as to what I can do to get them to go down?

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 AM

Yes, I remember feeling like the Michelin Man - I was so swollen that I could hardly walk as well. I think it is because of all the IV fluids that they pump into you. Drink LOTS of water and keep moving around as much as you can, even if you feel that you are waddling. How many days post-op are you? I think it took a good week for most of the swelling to go down but it does eventually.

By the way, congrats on the baby!

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#3 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It took about a week for my swelling to go down after my c/s... Hang in there, mama, your ankles will be back soon. I woke up one morning and there they were (that would be my ankles, not yours

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM

I also had horrible swelling after my son's extraction; it was about two weeks before I could wear my regular shoes. I tried to keep my feet elevated whenever I was sitting or lying down. Make sure not to wear socks, or strappy sandals or anything that can put additional pressure on your feet - staying barefoot helped me a lot.
#5 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Yep, it took a while w/ ds1 and ds2 but this time it was much better. At the hospital they had a massage therapist come in 2x's a day and she worked on my back for the spinal sight and my feet/legs. She told me to get blood flowing have someone act like they are typing on your ankles It will go down.
#6 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Happened to me too. I had PIH so was really swollen BEFORE my surgery, but it was absolutely insane afterwards. Not only did I lose my ankles, but the tops of my feet were really swollen. Not at all comfortable.

I agree with the pp. Lots of water, and move around as much as you can (if you still have staples this won't be much, but anything will help), and it does get better.

Hope you feel better soon!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#7 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM

This happened to me, too. Worse with #1. It's related to the amount of IV fluids you have. The 7th day is usually the worst, and then it slowly gets better.

Today is day 8 for me, and I'm able to wear my rings again. (I wore them throughout pregnancy, but had to take them off for my c-section, and haven't worn them again since then)
#8 of 12 Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Are you still wearing the stomach support band thing? With ds, I had to take it off, and then the fluid redistributed/left my body. It might of been a coincedence though.
#9 of 12 Old 08-02-2008, 12:49 AM

I did not have a c/s with DD, but a long hospital labor in which I got a few liters of IV lfuids. I'm sure they give you even more with a c/s. I also had the swelling, much more after she was born than before!

I had mild swelling during pregnancy and my MW suggested Dandelion Tea. Never had a chance to test it out, however.

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#10 of 12 Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 AM

yes--holy cow. No one warned me that would happen. It felt like my skin wasn't going to hold up to the stress! I felt like a sausage.
#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Happened here too. It wasn't too bad but definitely noticeable.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 12 Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my! I am SO tired of FAT FEET! Here I am a week past my section and my feet are still a bit fat! I had a LOT of IV fluids with my son (who was NOT a section) and I had quite a bit, but not nearly as much, with my first DD, but I never swelled! No one told me that I was gonna "lose my feet and ankles" after a section!! Last night I was looking at them and I told DH that I can't even say that I have "cankles" - my feet and ankles are fatter than my calves are!! I just have lost my ankles!! I'm so happy to hear that it's not just me! If Day 7 is the worst, then I have passed that "hump", so here's to hoping that, since aren't so bad today, this is the end of it and I will be getting my feet back! I miss my feet instead of these lumps with sausages poking out of the ends! :

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page