Mama Check In - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how all you Mamas are doing?

The board seems to have slown down a bit - everyone is pretty busy with babies and older kids and nursing and so on. I have been MIA pretty much since the day Noa was born and I've been feeling so guilty that I haven't been able to keep up with all the birth announcements liked I'd hoped to.

DD is 5 weeks today - I can't believe it! She's nursing and gaining well. Somewhere in there she stopped looking like a newborn and started looking like a baby. Sigh. My life has been such a whirlwind since before she was born that I feel a bit like I got cheated out of just soaking her up. And when I think about the possibility of never being pregnant or having a newborn again, that makes me soo sad.

She's beautiful and sweet and we still can't believe that we had a girl!! We've nicknamed her Grunty LaRue because she grunts when she's hungry instead of crying. The first few nights with her it was hard for me to wake up and feed her because in my sleep I couldn't figure out what all the grunting was.

Physical recovery from birth was so much smoother this time. I did have a tear this time but I wasn't nearly as sore after a two push delivery as I was with the 45 minutes of pushing with DS (no tears). It makes such a difference. So does not being anemic this time!

DH is back at work this week so I'm adjusting to being home alone with two. So far, it's overwhelming but going much better than I anticipated.

DS is having a super hard time with all of the changes (new sister, new house, new city) and has turned into an angry angry little boy (another post entirely). It's been very difficult for all of us trying to deal with him. It breaks my heart that he is having such a tough time because of our decisions. Poor guy. He just seems so sad under all the rage. He's normally so happy - it's really hard to see him crying all the time.

I'm having some oversupply issues (as I did with DS). Super painful letdown, DD choking and gulping, breaking the seal and swallowing air in her attempts to keep up. So this week, the gas and reflux kicked in and we had a night of 5 hour crying interspersed with non-stop nursing. It was very traumatizing for all of us. (Poor DS didn't like the crying much). I stopped in at kellymom to remind myself of what worked last time and I think we'll all be ok. Keeping my fingers crossed.

How's everyone doing with bf'ing? Family life? Sleep? Recovery? Mood?

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#2 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Maggie is about 2.5 weeks now, and I think things are going well, considering! I'm in a good mood, DH is coping, and Mags is healthy as a bull.

She's having a growth spurt though, and is feeding, fussing and awake continually. But everyone tells me "this too shall pass" and I believe them. My milk supply is holding up to the continuous feeds and even leaking all over the place.

Also, I don't know if this is a side effect of the growth spurt, but she has also become very "clingy" - for the first week or so she would sleep anywhere, anytime. Now she really wants to be held and cuddled all the time. My baby-wearing gear isn't great (my Hotsling is too big for me and the Snugli isn't very comfy) so this means carrying her a lot, and sleeping with her. So I'm feeling a little less mobile, but also loved. She sleeps sooo much better when she sleeps on me, and I'm finally getting 3-4h of sleep at a time again. Though we both get very sweaty. Maggie is about the sweatiest, dampest baby I have ever met.

I love my baby so much, it's crazy! I would never have guessed I'd get so attached so quickly! :

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#3 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Things are stabilizing here again- we had a fussy baby on our hands for a few days there.

Breastfeeding is going so well, as it always has. I consider it such a huge blessing that we have really not had a single problem. The only thing is that I am VERY leaky at night. I make a little "pallet" to put Caroline on so that if I leak I can exchange blankets and burp clothes to keep her from sleeping in a puddle but it is really annoying. We are having this problem with ants showing up in non-food areas (diaper pail, changing table, couch, bed) and I think the "spilled milk" attracts them so I find myself washing my sheets almost every day to ensure we don't get ants on the bed. Anybody have a good recommendation for cloth nursing pads that are absorbent? I have been using natra care disposable ones but they are no good for at night and I don't like using disposable products.

Caroline is back to just being a lovely sleepy little baby. She gets up to feed at night but it is no longer accompanied by screaming and needing rocking to get back to sleep. As a matter of fact for 2 nights in a row we don't even get out of bed until 4am and that is just because I feel bad she has been in the same diaper all night, so DH gets up and changes her diaper. Then she feeds but she usually poops so then I get up and change her diaper again around 5am and then we all go back to sleep until anywhere from 6:30-7:45 am. Then she is up for a good part of the morning feeding or being held in the sling while I do chores.

I am really proud of myself, I have totally kept up with my house, keeping it vacuumed, dusted, dishes done and laundry done. By the time DH comes home for lunch the house always looks nice. Then in the early afternoon she starts her long nap of the day and I prep dinner.

It's funny because I was telling DH the other day that I really enjoy being a SAHM/housewife. I know maybe some women look down on me because I "aspire" to just take care of my baby, keep a nice house, cook good meals and keep my husband happy but so what, that is what makes me happy. It doesn't make me stupid or submissive. Yes, I have a college degree- so what? I guess I am ranting here about something unrelated, lol.

Speaking of my DH, our relationship is only stronger now. He is such a wonderful partner and Daddy. I don't have any "laziness" issues with him. He doesn't complain about being an active parent in his DDs life- he loves it! The other day I was telling him I feel bad when I wake him up at night to take a turn with her because I can nap with her the next day and he has to work. He just looked at me like I had ten heads and said "Don't feel bad- I get to sleep most of the night. I like helping to take care of her." It just made me feel good to know that my DH wants to help. Also, he made dinner last night. I was going to make it but it had turned out to be kind of a stressful afternoon because we took the dogs to the dog park and it was just really bad timing- the baby cried on the car ride there, I think she got over heated being in the sling and me walking around in the hot afternoon sun and then when we got home and she was feeding she threw up all over me. I just told DH I was feeling stressed about making dinner because I just needed to be taking care of the baby. He didn't miss a beat, we were having something for dinner that he knows how to make (spaghetti) and he made it, he even served up my plate for me!

I'm going on and on but things are great. I feel fully recovered down there besides the light bleeding. Actually both me and DH are kind of chomping at the bit to DTD but I have to remind myself that I just had a baby 2 weeks ago and its probably a bit too soon even if I am feeling good. And so we wait.

HidaShara- I can't recommend the Maya Wrap enough, I use mine for Caroline all the time and think it is the perfect thing for a newborn! I have a Moby wrap too but I haven't quite figured it out and it is such a process to get on! The Maya wrap is quick, light weight and really keep the baby close to you- you don't have to support them with your hands when you are wearing it, you can truly be hands free. My DH likes the Ergo but I haven't used that one, I think she is still a bit small for it to be using it to be doing stuff with her in it. But when he has her in it he is just walking around and stuff- not trying to get things done.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#4 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM

it's nice to read everyone's updates! i haven't been around as much either. well, i can read, but one handed typing seems like too much some days. lol

we're doing well here. charlotte, rowan is getting like that too this week. (he's just over 2 weeks) doesn't want to sleep anywhere but on mama. lol dd was like this too, so i pretty much just carried her constantly for naps and everything untill she was about 5 months(and a super chunk!). get yourself some good slings! i really reccomend a simple thin cotton ring sling for little babies.

lol about the grunting baby noa. i call mine rowie bear because all he does is growl and grunt all the time! it's so cute.

i know things can change in a day, and i'm almost reluctant to say it, but he's been pretty much "sleeping through the night" for the past week and a half. now by "sleeping" i mean not being wide awake, still waking up every 1-2 hours to nurse, but drifting right back to sleep. he conks out around 11-12ish and he's been waking up pretty consistantly this week every morning at 8am. hmm... a baby on his own schedule already??? i've never had one before, so i'm not sure what to expect! lol i feel pretty rested, even though i'm still waking a lot, i'm not really doing much in the night and i fall right back asleep. for this i am eternally grateful and will continue to be untill he decides night time= play time! lol which, i'm sure will happen sooner or later!

nursing could be going better. ugh. he has a really strong tongue thrust and a very lazy latch. we're working on correcting it, but it's slow going and i'm still pretty sore. he mostly just will "play" with the nipple untill my milk lets down and then tries to gulp it all down and then goes back to playing and clicking his tongue. he gets a lot of air this way, so he's spitting up all the time, and is really agitgated by his upset belly. pretty frustrating, but it's getting better, and hopefully he'll get the hang of nursing "correctly" soon. or at least i can hope! my first never did(terrible gag reflex, along with bad latch and poor suck) but we stuck it out for almost 3 years!

we've started ec with the babe too. he's still diapered most of the time, but he gets so upset before he has to go, it's getting easier to read his signals! yay! we'll usually catch several pees and a few poos throughout the day. i can take him pretty consistantly, and ask him to pee and he will now. i'm so excited about that. he's such an awsome baby.

the kids seem to be doing really well with the new baby. i think they've really become closer these past two weeks doing most things on their own and helping each other! lol they've always played together, but they've been pretty inseparable lately. i'm so thankful that they are old enough to pretty much take care of themselves too. i'm trying to spend time with them, but they totally get that i need to be with the baby pretty much constantly right now too. they are at the age where mom isn't quite so important anymore also, so that helps. lol

dh is having a rough time back at work this past week. he wants to stay home and snuggle the baby too! he works very long hours and isn't home as much as we'd like. when he is though, he takes over baby duty, which is nice!

i've been in a good mood lately. i'm healing well, and feel pretty much back to normal in most places. my hips are still giving me a bit of trouble. they still feel a little wonky, but almost all better. i figure if he came so fast it bruised his face, i can imagine that my insides took a beating too. i'm starting to go a little stir crazy this week though. i haven't been out of the house except for a brief trip to the ped's since he was born. but i'm sort of cringing at the thought of trying to get everyone ready and getting somewhere with 3 kids in tow! yikes!

wow, sorry to write a book. that's what happens when i get two hands for a few minutes! lol
#5 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
I am really proud of myself, I have totally kept up with my house, keeping it vacuumed, dusted, dishes done and laundry done. By the time DH comes home for lunch the house always looks nice. Then in the early afternoon she starts her long nap of the day and I prep dinner.

am i allowed to hate you for this? lol i would be so completely embarrassed if anyone came to my house right now!

good for you though! i'm proud of you too!
#6 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 10:11 PM

subbing, will write later.
#7 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
The only thing is that I am VERY leaky at night. I make a little "pallet" to put Caroline on so that if I leak I can exchange blankets and burp clothes to keep her from sleeping in a puddle but it is really annoying. We are having this problem with ants showing up in non-food areas (diaper pail, changing table, couch, bed) and I think the "spilled milk" attracts them so I find myself washing my sheets almost every day to ensure we don't get ants on the bed.
No suggestions here, I'm afraid... I am also very leaky and have just reconciled myself to milkcow status. I also have a bit of an overactive letdown in one breast - if Maggie's unprepared, she'll come up for air sputtering and coughing and streaming milk - so that adds a lot of spilled milk. I read a Kellymom article that suggested a mild correction for the overactive letdown: let baby nurse "uphill" while you lie back. Well, I was lying on my back the other day snuggling with DH when both of my breasts SPONTANEOUSLY started spouting off like little geysers.

DH says I smell like fresh corn. Maggie smells like a bowl of warm Cheerios. Warm milk is definitely the theme of the house right now. :

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#8 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM

I haven't read all the posts, but I know what you guys are talking about when you say you wake up in a puddle of milk! I don't like to wear a bra at night because I don't like how it feels, so I stuff about 4 cloth diapers in my shirt and hope I don't roll around too much. It's getting better every day, but it's such a mess!!

I started doing some exercise videos so that's going pretty well--lost 24 pounds so far. If I could just stop stuffing my face everything just might even out in the next few months!

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the fussiness around dinner time. Usually I am in the middle of cooking dinner and have to deal with a poop or some crisis. I'm usually tired so I don't want to put her on my back, and dh is always late coming home. I managed to get through it today by myself but I wish I had someone here to take care of the kids while I cooked dinner.
#9 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
am i allowed to hate you for this? lol i would be so completely embarrassed if anyone came to my house right now!

good for you though! i'm proud of you too!
: I was totally thinking the same! (and my sister is actually flying in tomorrow with her LO who was born 2 weeks before Av)

But really, great job Jenna! Now if only I could get there.
#10 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Things are going pretty well here. John is one month old today! It's amazing how time flys! He's gaining well, really rounding out IMO. DD was a real slow gainer and stayed so slim, it seems funny to have a bit of a chubby baby! Remind me mamas, when do they start smiling? Sometimes DS seems that he's on the verge when I'm being silly with him, but it usually just turns into the open mouthed, rooting around thing. I don't want to keep waiting for it and be disappointed if it's not going to happen for a month!

John is a great baby (although I haven't met a bad one ) He likes to nurse to sleep, and sleeps hard from about 9 pm to 11 am. Waking every 2 hours to nurse, of course. The rest of the time he seems to want to sleep, but sleeps lightly and is frequently awakened by DD.

I second the Maya wrap, or any other ring sling I'm sure. My only complaint is that it is making DS bald in the front of his hairline! I frequently wear him in that for quick trips, ie grocery store, restaraunt. But then stick him in the Moby wrap if it's going to be a bit longer, ie hiking, walking around the fair, or the childrens museum. It distributes the weight more evenly and is more comfortable IMO. I think he likes them both, as all he does is sleep in them.

The area where I'm struggling is DD. It's such a huge adjustment and I feel bad for her. I know in the long run it's good for her but I hate to watch her struggle. But I guess for her it's just struggling to come to terms with emotions like frustration and anger.....these things would likely be happening anyway. None of it really is related directly to or towards the baby. She does struggle with being gentle, though. She loves to be with him, hold him, and kiss him. However she may at anytime grab an arm or leg and yank! I really think she likes to hear him cry....she also likes to say she's sorry to him by kissing and hugging.

What else? DH will be off from work for one more month, and it's going to fly by I'm sure. I have 7.5 more weeks off and I'm already dreading going back. It won't be as hard this time as it was for me (emotionally) last time, but it will probably be harder in terms of organization. I have an idea for daycare, and I'm hoping this lady is going to be really great. If not I'm not sure what Isn't that terrible? I'm such a procrastinator and I'm lucky things have always worked out.

I'm nervous about being home alone with DD and DS. I think I need to work on a loose schedule for the day for DD....nothing strict but we've always just been winging it....it may be easier to know what's coming next. Or be reliably ready for a nap at a certain time.

As far as DTD, DH is ready. And I'm scared. I had a small unrepaired tear that had been feeling great. Monday we went hiking around a local state park and it was waaaaay too much. My bleeding is done and didn't restart then, and also I felt great throughout the walk. But the next morning the tear was stinging like it did in week 2. I can't tell anything in the mirror either. It feels fine now, but now I'm nervous to press the limits. I think I'm going to go for it soon, but I'll be holding my breath.

OK, add me to the "writing a book for a post" club!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#11 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 AM

So interesting to read snippets of my own life in some of yours - the angry "big brother" who is having a lot of trouble adjusting; oversupply and milk puddles (last time, it always smelled like raw chicken to me - YUCK! - thank goodness the odor is less offensive this time); the fun of EC with a newborn who actually signals - so glad we are getting some catches, because 30 diapers a day, and washing every day, was NOT enjoyable! I got most of the house in order before the baby came, so other than picking up the toys daily, there has not been much housework to keep up with yet besides laundry. I'm lucky that my mother and aunt are still cooking for us almost every day, so no kitchen clean up. I tend to try to do chores in the morning, so by late afternoon, I feel really tired... twice this week we have gone out to run errands, and that simply exhausts me.
#12 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Samuel is 12 days old. He seems to be settling in nicely, sleeping longer stretches and easier to get to sleep. He's a great nurser and we do have a few periods of marathon nursing, generally in the evening or right around when I need to make dinner for DS#1. I'm trying to sling him when he's like that, but he's a mover and snorts and pops off the breast about 30 times and can't get back on, so it's a constant struggle in the sling.

I started back to work last week - I work from home - and it wasn't too bad except for the fact DS#1 and I had a stomach virus (ugh) for 4 days. Neither of us had one in our lives. How gross. And not exactly the type of thing you want when you are 1 week pp. seriously. I am down 30 pounds from my highest pregnancy weight. Sadly, I still have at least 20 to go. I can't quite fit into my "fat pants" yet...

Samuel is enormous. He is outgrowing everything, and I need to go find our small diapers and I guess sell some of our newborn fluff we never ever wore. It's so sad, it took me months to buy his newborn stash and he outgrew in a mtter of hours. I keep having these weird "I wish I was pregnant" feelings. How could I miss being pregnant? How quickly we forget the swelling, aches, pains, pressure....

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#13 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post

i know things can change in a day, and i'm almost reluctant to say it, but he's been pretty much "sleeping through the night" for the past week and a half. now by "sleeping" i mean not being wide awake, still waking up every 1-2 hours to nurse, but drifting right back to sleep. he conks out around 11-12ish and he's been waking up pretty consistantly this week every morning at 8am. hmm... a baby on his own schedule already???
This is how my first baby was, from birth. I thought that all babies were like this.

This one....oh, boy, I didn't realize that babies like to stay AWAKE in the middle of the night. Oh boy. LOL
#14 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Busy here too. Maia has some colic, and possibly some "mild" reflux issue (never dealt with that before).
And it was my 3rd son's 2nd bday yesterday and my husband's bday is next weekend.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#15 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 PM

re: leaking at night

http://www.nekkieblankie.com

#16 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Things here are going really well overall. Meridith is 3.5 weeks. OMG where does the time go? I mean really. We spend 9 whole months waiting for them and it seems like it takes FOREVER then all of the sudden she's here and growing and big and...

She doesn't look like a newborn at all to me. She looks like a real baby. Which makes me happy and sad all at the same time. She is such a happy baby. I feel really blessed. I was kinda worried because sooo many people have horror stories about having two perfect children then baby number 3 comes and is a devil child or something. So, I was worried just a little bit because both of my girls were really good babies. But, thankfully, so is Meridith.

She makes the sweetest faces at us too. Trying so hard to communicate. She does smile already. She kinda opens her mouth wide and squints her eyes a little and looks so happy. She has dimples : )

Thats not to say that we dont have our ups and downs too. The first few weeks of nursing are always really hard on me. I'm very fair skined and my nipples crack and bleed at first no matter how careful I am. But, things are getting better now.

Both of my girls are having some adjustment issues, but overall are also doing pretty well. They both are in love with the baby. It's mostly been clingy issues with me. Wanting lots of hugs and kisses - which sounds fine until it's the 20th kiss in hour and i'm feeling touch overload - kwim? But I'm trying to be patient with them and give them the attention they're craving. Thats probably the biggest challenge right now for us.

Glad to hear everyone is doing pretty well. Life with a newborn... wow.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#17 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM

garvin is two weeks old today! he is such a sweetie- nurses, sleeps, looks around. that's about it. oh, and pees at least 15 times a day! he sleeps 3-4 hours at a stretch in the night, and now that he's figured out day and night, he nurses and goes right back to sleep.

tandem nursing could be better...although i feared it would be worse. selene is sharing ok- nursing like a newborn, but she just thinks that one is hers and the other is his, - but between her lazy latch and his slight tongue-tie, my nips are pretty battered. and nursing is pretty much all i do. therefore, my house is a disaster, but i'll worry about that in a week or two.

otherwise, i feel great! i'm still bleeding, but it's light, and pink! i had bright red bleeding with both girls until 6 weeks pp, so yay for pink! i might actually stop bleeding before he's two months old! i had no bruising or swelling, and only a tiny skin split, which had healed withim 48 hours. sure, i've got 30 pounds to lose to be back at fighting weight, but i've lost way more than that before, i'm not worried. although i might need to file a missing persons report on my abs...i can't find them! oh, and we already dtd. it didn't suck!

speaking of dh, he is still so proud of himself for producing a boy . neither one of us realized how important that was ti him until garv got here.

zoe, surprisingly, is having a harder time adjusting than selene. she did so well when selene was born that i didn't expect any problems, but she has become one rather angry kiddo. she adores her brother, but is feeling kind of left out, with me nursing the other two so much of the time. dh took her on a couple of "dates" this week, and that has seemed to help enormously.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#18 of 24 Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Hi everyone I am going to come back and read all the replies later when i'm NAKing- right now Henry is napping so I can type two handed!

He is doing great- getting so big already! He is a great nurser and likes to do it aaaaalll the time. I am so glad I didn't have much nipple soreness this time around, with DD I was in agony. Henry latched on well from day 1 and I'm so glad to be EBFing. It is a little challenging to meet his nursing needs while trying to keep DD entertained all day though. BTW.... he is a grunter too! He is a sweet baby and usually sleeps well until 4 am or so when he gets gassy.... not sure why!

I had a really easy recovery from birth this time, thank goodness. I did have a small tear but it seems to be all healed now and I am done with the hardcore bleeding- just a little pink spotting- I bled for 6 full weeks after my DD.

Gotta run and make some dinner- will post more later- glad to hear all the updates!
#19 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 01:17 AM

Busy here, like the rest of you. I have been on my own starting this week with Wesley--who is five weeks tomorrow--and Mary, my toddler, who is 23 months. So it's a handful. Mary has been really good about Wesley but of course there are times when she really wants me and I'm nursing him or whatever and it makes her mad. (And sad.) But we're adjusting.

I have low milk supply. Again. Like last time. Micro supply, really, is the term I guess that people are using for it now. I have PCOS and IGT and last time with round-the-clock pumping and whatnot I never got above 6 oz per day. This time I think I have a little more. Wesley is nursing like a champ though so we're nursing and bottle-supplementing. I just don't have it in me to pump this time. And after some soul-searching I ditched the SNS--just couldn't get it to work, and the frustration was turning Wesley off nursing. So I am sad about that, and--yes--jealous of the mamas who are breastfeeding successfully. But I am glad that it's going so well for so many of you when I can stop seeing everything in green tints! I am thrilled that he is so happy at the breast even when there's nothing there to eat; at least this time I have a nursing relationship. (I ended up EPing for my daughter, as I didn't know about the SNS then and she refused the breast completely by week 3.)

Anyway, despite that, Wesley is growing like a weed. He is colicky some of the time--a lot of the time. Mary wasn't fussy very much as a babe and it's new to me. We're switching formulas for supplementation to see if that helps. I hope it does. He is lovely though and he spends most of his day nursing and snuggling in his sling and then sleeps in my armpit at night (why he likes it there I don't know).
#20 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Doing good here, babe is 10 days old. I'm really waiting for something to happen. Last time I had a uterine infection occur a week after I had my DD and then had abdominal pains until I finally went to the doctor and learnt that it was my gallbladder and that my liver enzyme numbers were so high if I didn't go and get admitted to the hospital for removal I would end up just getting sicker and possible "die". So I was admitted and 4 days later when I was 6 weeks postpartum had surgery. Plus recovery and nursing and adapting to life with a newborn...

This time baby latched on right away by herself, no tears and so far only a bout of consitpation. I'm feeling almost too good. My older DD is loving life and being a big sister and I've really eased into this two kid thing ok. Some others I know are having a hard time with it. Dh went back to work when the little one was 2 days old and I was not happy about it. I'm still not, I wanted those two weeks he told me I'd get and didn't... but he's home by 330 every day and super helpful when he is home as always and he only works 5 mins away and could be home immediately anytime I need him but it's not the same...

I don't know if it's possible for a birth of a child to cure depression but I was in a small "slump" before the birth of my second and since having her I'm really HAPPY and my sense of humor is back and I really *want* my husband, whereas the last couple years I just haven't been that into DTD and everything aggrivated me... mild depression and just unhappy but not DEPRESSED... kwim? There were lots of contributing factors I think and my first birth being part of it but I feel like this : everyday now

But I think it's time to go feed the baby and maybe crawl back into bed for a bit (Dh was letting me have a nap after a long day in the sun...) before the little one decides to wake up, although I'm hoping she sleeps as we spent the day out in the fresh air and she was awake for quite a bit of today

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#21 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 AM

Hello, mamas!
Madeleine is 2 weeks old now.

She's been great! Hardly ever cries, just grunts a lot. And she's not a fan of getting into her carseat.

finnegansmom, oh, how awful! I got a stomach bug about a week after ds2 was born, I remember how horrible that was! I wasn't healed yet, and I hurt so much.

Nursing is perfect, which is so great, and she is wonderful at night, so no complaints there. I haven't had to wake dh up yet to do anything at night.

I'm struggling with PPD like stuff again, so that's no fun. But I am so in love with my girl, I know what's going on, and I have my appointment with my doc set up for next week. And for the most part it's not too bad, not like before with ds2.

I'm so glad to see how all of you are doing with your babes.
#22 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
...sleeps in my armpit at night (why he likes it there I don't know).
This was my son's favourite spot for sleeping the entire first year, and now my daughter seems to like it, too. Maybe it's warm, with just enough cozy support to remind them of the womb?
#23 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is settling in pretty well and that nursing is going ok. Hugs to all of you who are struggling. I've had terrible engorgement and some minor plugged duct issues (that resolved with constant nursing) but I've never had any nipple pain or need to use nipple cream...I really feel for all of you who suffer from cracked sore and bleeding nips.

Sounds like we've all got a lot of angry/struggling older siblings. I hope things get easier for all of them sooner than later. My heart goes out to everyone's older kiddos and to you mamas - if you're dealing with anything like what I am here, you most definitely need hugs for the whole family!

Noa is driving me a bit crazy with wanting to be held or nursed all day long. It's pretty hard to get dressed, make meals or offer anything to DS in the way of play or quality time when she complains every time I put her down. I have been slinging her but I find the hotsling only works for walking around (it slips off my shoulder so I can't really tidy up with her in it) and the moby (which I love!!) is such a production to put on that it's a pain to switch in and out of for nursing (I haven't figured out how to nurse with that one yet, unless I were to put it on naked!!).

I feel like I have to do everything at TOP SPEED before she starts crying to be picked up: Quick put on pants, grab baby, run downstairs and get DS some cereal and milk before he pours milk all over the floor, try not to pour milk on the floor myself doing it one handed because baby is in arms, put Noa down, put in contacts, run back upstairs for diaper, baby crying, run downstairs, change diaper, DS spills cereal all over table in mad dash to get to the bathroom to pee, put Noa down, clean up cereal, run upstairs to put on shirt, forget breastpads, Noa crying, run downstairs, pick her up, have letdown, milk all over shirt, DS yelling from bathroom that he pooped, put baby down, run to bathroom to wipe bum, upstairs two at a time to change shirt and put on breast pads, baby crying...

All of this takes less than five minutes and I'm exhausted.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#24 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Odette is 6 days old now. I'm on the steep new mom learning curve -- Wolf was 1 year old when we adopted him and we are doing so much different with Odette that I have to learn everything new, it seems: ap-ing, cd-ing, bf-ing, baby wearing, you name it.
Like projectile baby poop, for example, that shot right over the diaper I was preparing to put on last night and landed on the bed. That was interesting.
And of course bf-ing is a completely new concept. Odette loves it and we must be latching ok because after some initial soreness the sisters are fine. Almost no engorgement because Odette nurses like a champ. She loves it. The only thing I worry about is her losing weight but I know that's normal -- that and developing thrush from the bloody antiobiotics I had to take :.
Still working on figuring out the baby wearing. To be honest we've spent most of our time in or on the bed so it's not really come up much yet.
I hear ya on the zipping around trying to do everything before she cries to be picked up.
DH has been awesome about helping me and dealing with our 5 y.o., who is taking it all very well. He's pretty interested in the baby and nursing and all, and he likes it when I read to him while Odette nurses or naps. So no problems there. I'll bet it's hard with the younger ones, though!

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page