Placenta & PPD question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm beginning to feel that familiar descent into depression. For me, it creeps up so slowly that it's pretty easy to miss but I've had ample experience with both post-partum depression as well as regular depression (all through my early 20's). I've had a lot of changes in my life that could make me feel out of sync but I do feel that familiar twist of reality that goes with depression.

I had intended to take placenta pills to guard against this but we moved so I didn't drop off the placenta for two weeks to get dried and then the woman who did it for me, didn't get it in the mail right away...so here I am 5 weeks postpartum and I just got the pills yesterday.

Is it too late to take them if I'm already starting to feel crappy? I realize that it's probably more effective as a preventative measure. Do you think it will still help to start now?

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM

start taking them! Its not too late!

I noticed around day 5 or so I started to feel that same sinking feeling I had last time, and I had a total melt down to my DH about how I didn't wanna be that depressed again and it just so happened that my pills arrived in the mail that day.

I've been taking 2 with each meal for a week and now I'm down to 1 per meal, and I noticed a huge difference in how I felt the next day after starting them.
even my dh said he noticed a difference in me and he wasn't all *that* into me having my placenta made into pills

Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, go ahead and take them! I have some friends who are starting much later than that. I did 3 days of smoothies first, but started taking the pills at 4 days post-partum. Right now I'm taking 2 a day and I plan to keep that up until about 6 weeks, then maybe drop down to 1 a day. I don't remember when PPD kicked in last time, nut DH left for sea when DD1 was 5 weeks and it was getting bad by then.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM

Oh definitely take them

I took a small piece right after birth but then nothing till my milk came in and I started to feel bad. I have been taking them twice a day since then and now I feel great.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I started taking them - the instructions said I could take up to 4 a day...what's a good number to start with? So far, I've been taking 1-2 a day? Should I take more than that? Should I take with meals?

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

I started taking 4 a day for the first few weeks, and now I am down to 2 a day (baby is 5 weeks now). I'm interested to know if they work for you--hope so!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post
Thanks everyone. I started taking them - the instructions said I could take up to 4 a day...what's a good number to start with? So far, I've been taking 1-2 a day? Should I take more than that? Should I take with meals?
I would for sure take with meals, you do NOT wanna be burping up placenta, ask me how I know... :

I took 2 pills 3x a day. But down to 1 pill 3x a day now.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM

i have been trrying to take 2 w each meal. i usually end up eating only 2x a day though. it really helps-more than i thought it would. i feel great when i remember to take it.

so now i'm a little concerned with how i will feel when i run out.

User Tag List