Castor Oil- is it worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So today I am a week overdue. Aside from the fact that I am SO ready to have this baby and horribly uncomfortable, my mil, who is our support for dd, needs to leave on Wed. We don't really have anyone else reliable to stay with dd while I'm in labor. I have been thinking about drinking a little bit of castor oil if the babe still hasn't come by tomorrow night or Wednesday morning so that she can be here for the birth and my dh (who is my support person) doesn't have to take care of dd instead. I guess I am just looking for opinions on Castor oil as a means of inducing labor. Is it worth the initial awful reaction my body is bound to have? Is there anyone with experience with this who can tell their story?
Thank you ladies

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#2 of 5 Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM

I bought some, but my midwife says it is a last resort sort of thing and will only work if you are almost fully effaced and started dialating. She suggest the breast pump first, which I have tried and didn't work for me. She is coming to check to see if I have anything going on yet, so I might be doing the castor oil too, but I plan on starting with just a little bit cuz I dont want to be miserable.

I have read mixed reviews on some that work, and some that don't, I think the key is if your cervix has already started effacing and dialating it might just be the little kick it needs to go the next step.
#3 of 5 Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 PM

I tried CO with my last babe with no luck - but i really wasnt ready yet, just miserable and desoerate... it was the taste more then anything that got to me. This time, being very overdue, i attempted to try it again, but threw it all back up after the first sip. The after taste, OMG, is awful. I did rub a whole bunch on my abdomen instead. That was the day before labor. Dont know if it helped or not. I didnt get the usual side effects that way, soo idk...

good luck!

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I had an acupuncture treatment this morning which really seemed to help bring on stronger contractions and then drank 4 oz of castor oil, which is the amount my midwife recommended. It really wasn't bad at all. The taste didn't bother me it was just a very strange texture to have to chug. Anyway, I've been having stronger contractions all day and they definitely feel different but not as strong as labor. Hoping it will be tonight!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#5 of 5 Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Good luck, mama! I hope it works and you'll be holding your babe soon (or already are!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page