Spitting up...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much spitting up is normal? My LO has been spitting up frequently (to me) this week. Sometimes it happens right after (or during) a feeding, sometimes it happens between feedings. He's also started coughing sometimes while BF (usually after I hear him burp or hiccup).

What's normal?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Is it after every feeding or just once or twice? it always looks like more then it is. but i would be concerned that maybe baby has a food intolerance. Anything else? is baby gassy? if gassy usually that is a sign of dairy intolerance.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
#3 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM

i don't know. we're dealing with a lot of spit up too. my first was a super fountain, but looking back, i'm almost sure he had pretty bad reflux that was never diagnosed. that coupled with an extremely sensitive gag reflex and he threw up every single day untill he was 3. and pretty much all day when he was a tiny baby.

with my dd she spit up every now and then, but i think it was much more "normal".

now we're dealing with lots again. not as bad as ds1, though. he's extremely gassy, but he has a poor latch/suck so he gets lots of air that way. but, i'm working on cutting out dairy to see if that helps. i'm almost sure it will. i had to cut a lot out with dd as it agitated her digestive system(she was such a happy go lucky baby, she was never upset by anything though). dh was dairy sensitive when he was little, and both of my older kids have sensitivities, i think we just need to go dairy free throughout the whole house. i hope it helps. i can't stand to hear rowan crying cause his belly hurts so bad. poor little guy.

oh i guess i should state that "lots" to me is he's spitting up after almost every feeding(and he nurses a lot!) and frequently in between, along with crying from a gassy belly and lots of burps. it's usually just a little spit up, but at least once a day he seems to empty his whole belly!
#4 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Both of mine coughed and sputtered during feedings, and spit up some afterward. With my son, the spit up was worse from two to six months; it ended abruptly at six months; but my daughter began spitting up almost as soon as my milk came in. In my case, it is because of overactive letdown and oversupply. It does not happen as much if I nurse leaning back or flat on my back, or if the baby is nursing upright in a carrier, tummy-to-tummy position. Nursing in the side-lying position also helps. I also keep the baby upright after feeding, unless she has fallen asleep.
#5 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I started recording spit-ups a couple days ago. So far Aydin is spitting up 5-9 times a day. Sometimes it's after a feeding and every once in a while it's during. He has started coughing (gagging?) this week during feedings sometimes. He also get hiccups a lot (5-7 times a day). I think he takes in a lot of air when he starts crying or in the middle of the night when he's kind of fussing while feeding. He doesn't seem distressed by the spitting up and is gaining weight. But I do wonder about reflux. He does seem to prefer being at least semi-upright and will spit-tp when placed on his back (e.g. for a diaper change after breastfeeding). At this point we've only "mastered" the cradle/cross-cradle holds, so upright nursing is something more in our future perhaps...

I'm not eating tons of dairy, but usually have at least two dairy things a day (e.g. yogurt and ice cream). He's also showing a tendency toward MAJOR upset in the middle of the night (12:00am-3:00am last night) and I'm wondering about colic too...

How do you know if your baby is feeling gastrointestinal pain?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
At this point we've only "mastered" the cradle/cross-cradle holds, so upright nursing is something more in our future perhaps...

Do you have a recliner or a cushy couch you can really lean back into? If you do a cradle hold and lean back, babe ends up nursing more 'uphill', which can help.
#7 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, we have been doing a lot of the more "uphill" cradle position (me leaning back on pillows in bed)...especially at night. we haven't done any side-lying in bed because of pelvic damage I sustained during delivery - which thankfully seems to be on the mend thanks to physical therapy. so, actually, we've spent much of the past two weeks in bed.

After my last post in this thread, he had his first "projectile" spitting up. He was sitting up between my legs and the spit-up went about 6 inches.

If it was a food sensitivity, would there be other signs besides spitting up?

#8 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 PM

my first ds had milk protein allergy, and reflux. He would spit up almost after every feeding, sometimes during, and everytime he laid down flat. I knew his tummy was hurting because he arched his back a lot, and was very squirmy and pulling his legs up a lot. I'd have it checked out mama, just to be on the safe side. GL

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#9 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
If it was a food sensitivity, would there be other signs besides spitting up?
My first son had a mild dairy sensitivity, and the only symptoms were general fussiness and spitting up only when I ate a large amount of dairy.
#10 of 11 Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 PM

All of my kids have been supper spitters - it's just who they are. I wouldn't be worried if the spitting up (even if it's a lot) isn't bothering him. If it is bothering him, talk to your doc, it can't hurt. But even projectile spit up isn't a big deal if it only happens once in a while. GL

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#11 of 11 Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Here's the Kellymom link for food sensitivities and here is the one for overactive letdown. Hopefully, between the reflux link kris4chloe posted and these, you might be able to figure out what the problem is, if it isn't just ordinary baby spit up.

My daughter had the hiccups a lot in utero, and she has them a lot now, but I have noticed they are worse if she lies down right after eating, so that is another reason to keep her upright.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page