While pg can I eat........? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
x-posted in the I'm pregnant forum

1. Probiotic yogurt?
I've heard that some soft cheeses are supposed to be avoided.
Are live bacterial cultures (activia) safe to eat while pg?

2. Wild meat (venison/deer)?

Is there a thread on here that has a list of things to avoid while pg (certain herbal teas, etc...)?
I have done this twice before and it's funny how one forgets and is so suddenly reminded that everything you put in your mouth could have a consequence! :-)
Thanks in advance!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 01:03 AM

I am eating a ton of venison this pregnancy! Dh's brother gave us an entire deer so we've been eating venison everyday. I also take probiotics, eat yogurt, etc.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 AM

Probiotics are totally safe, as is venison, provided it's cooked to temperature. (As with any meat.)
#4 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Those are both safe.

Things to avoid.
Tuna (or any seafood with a high murcury content)
Deli Meat and raw hotdogs- there is a bacteria that can live on deli meat which is harmless to an adult but can kill a fetus. It is called Listeria
Raw sushi- there is some debate about this though.

Hope this helps!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#5 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
Those are both safe.

Things to avoid.
Tuna (or any seafood with a high murcury content)
Deli Meat and raw hotdogs- there is a bacteria that can live on deli meat which is harmless to an adult but can kill a fetus. It is called Listeria
Raw sushi- there is some debate about this though.

Hope this helps!
Also avoid soft, mould-ripened cheeses ( brie or camembert, queso) and blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton-- these cheeses are more inclined to allow growth of bacteria, such as listeria.

I *think* these cheeses thoroughly cooked in a casserole type dish though would be ok.
#6 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Also usually recommended against: runny or uncooked eggs, raw or nearly raw (v. rare) meats, refrigerated smoked seafood, refrigerated pates, soft unpasteurized cheeses like Feta, unpasteurized milk or apple juices, any fish high in mercury.
#7 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM

"Deli-meats" refers to the "not already in plastic" type - right?

And feta's about the only cheese I can eat! (other health issues) But aren't MOST fetas pasteurized?
#8 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM

FWIW, my midwife actually said she didn't have a problem with sushi, as long as I'm not loading up on the mercury-heavy fishes. Of course, the thought of raw fish makes me want to hurl right now, so that's not really an issue...

I also asked her about herbal teas, and she said that while some herbs can be dangerous in a pregnancy, the amount and potency that you get in a cup of tea is not enough to be a problem.

I guess that makes sense, right? I mean, if you could end a pregnancy by drinking herbal tea, people would probably deal with unwanted pregnancies very differently...

Though it contradicts my MW on the sushi issue, a book that I've found very helpful is "Healthy Eating During Pregnancy" by W. Allan Walker. Concise, easy to read, with lots of good information about what to avoid and what to eat. Also has some recipes in the back, though I'm not doing so well with the cooking right now either...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#9 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I mean, if you could end a pregnancy by drinking herbal tea, people would probably deal with unwanted pregnancies very differently...

Ok, I guess it's irreverent of me to laugh at this at what is a very nervous and sensitive time of pg for most everyone in this DDC, BUT..

.... I really needed to laugh! So thanks.

And thanks also, for the book rec, if I ever get the energy, i'll check that one out!

#10 of 15 Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Though it contradicts my MW on the sushi issue, a book that I've found very helpful is "Healthy Eating During Pregnancy" by W. Allan Walker. Concise, easy to read, with lots of good information about what to avoid and what to eat. Also has some recipes in the back, though I'm not doing so well with the cooking right now either...

Ok, I am super lazy right now, but just checked online and my library has this book, checked in. And I do live like 5 houses down from the library, LOL!!! SO I think I'll run (ok, drag) over and get it this aft. Thanks again for the rec.
#11 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
Also avoid soft, mould-ripened cheeses ( brie or camembert, queso) and blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton-- these cheeses are more inclined to allow growth of bacteria, such as listeria.
Just curious if this is just an American thing...I know my friends overseas who ate in moderation such cheeses during pregnancy and apparently everyone does? anyone know?
#12 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
Just curious if this is just an American thing...I know my friends overseas who ate in moderation such cheeses during pregnancy and apparently everyone does? anyone know?
I mean, it's all sort of relative, you know? Really, there's very little that you can eat or consume during pregnancy that's DEFINITELY going to hurt your baby. Most of these recommendations are just that- recommendations, based on lowering your risk of having a problem. Different countries have vastly different recommendations for things like caffeine and alcohol, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have different recs for things like cheeses as well.

My father, who is from Greece, thinks it's ridiculous that Americans are so set on not drinking any wine during pregnancy. And honestly, most women there drink a little bit during pregnancy, and their kids are just fine.

I think with all of these choices, you have to figure out your own cost-benefit analysis, and decide on the level of risk you're comfortable taking. I tend to be a lot more relaxed about most of the eating stuff, but that's just me...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#13 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
Well, I don't know v. much about (although it is quite interesting and I would love to know more) --BUT I did read something comparing UK and US think it may be the case that listeria is more common in the US. If so, that would (in part at least) explain the dif recommendations with regard to listeria-based food concerns. But of course there are other differences re wine, etc, that you all have raised.
#14 of 15 Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM

"The Panic Free Pregnancy" by Michael Broder, MD is by far the best pregnancy book that I have read. It is very evidence-based and gives studies and statistics regarding saftey in pregnancy. He gives all of the science and studies behind his statements that sushi is fine, 1 glass of wine a day is fine, 300mg of caffine a day is fine, etc in pregnancy.
#15 of 15 Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I mean, it's all sort of relative, you know? Really, there's very little that you can eat or consume during pregnancy that's DEFINITELY going to hurt your baby. Most of these recommendations are just that- recommendations, based on lowering your risk of having a problem. Different countries have vastly different recommendations for things like caffeine and alcohol, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have different recs for things like cheeses as well.

My father, who is from Greece, thinks it's ridiculous that Americans are so set on not drinking any wine during pregnancy. And honestly, most women there drink a little bit during pregnancy, and their kids are just fine.

I think with all of these choices, you have to figure out your own cost-benefit analysis, and decide on the level of risk you're comfortable taking. I tend to be a lot more relaxed about most of the eating stuff, but that's just me...
This is my take on it too. Stay within your comfort zone but try not to get too freaked out! I do eat deli sandwiches, soft cheeses (pasteurized), occasional bit of wine after first trimester, tuna in moderation, caffeine from the get-go... I would never tell any other woman to do things MY way but I will say that I've got 3 healthy, beautiful children and I feel pretty good about my approach.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page