So, where's everyone having their baby? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where are you having this baby?
Hospital 85 41.46%
Free Standing Birth Center 18 8.78%
Home (midwife assisted) 86 41.95%
Unassisted 12 5.85%
Did I forget something? 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because I'm curious lol. We're having this one at home.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 12:19 PM

I am planning a homebirth. I am going to start contacting midwives next week.

''''

Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Planning a homebirth, but my hubbie is still not totally on board so I will have dual care with a hospital MW as well. :

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM

We will have a MW attended hospital birth. If it works out as it did last time, I'll be home 4 hrs after labour. We live 1+ hours from the hospital, so I don't want to take any chances. I'd love a home birth!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 PM

I had a beautiful idyllic (though looooong! 50 hours prodromal, 20 hours active!) homebirth with Sydney. This time around something inside of me says a homebirth just isn't right. I'm afraid my luck will run out, you know? My husband is shocked & thinks it's just nerves & is planning for our homebirth anyway. Who knows! He might be right. Regardless I'll have the same midwife I had last time... she is amazing (& has very small hands )

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm planning a hospital birth, though I'm not super psyched about it. I would really, really love to do a homebirth, but, as I think I posted somewhere else in this forum, my insurance won't cover any of the costs. I know that it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but I used donor sperm to get pregnant, and incurred a significant amount of debt during that process. I just don't have the money to hire an independent midwife, and don't feel like I can responsibly take on more debt right now, you know?

It's ironic, since it would actually cost my insurance company a lot LESS to pay for a homebirth. :

Oh well. I am planning a natural childbirth with a midwife who comes highly recommended.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 12-01-2007, 04:08 PM

We are planning a home birth this time around. We had our dd at a free standing birth center and I pretty much delivered my dd myself because the midwife somehow wasn't prepared for how quickly my active labor went. So...this time I'd rather be at home. The hospital is less than 5 minutes away so I'm not worried about complications. There are great midwives where we live now and I've got an appointment for next week to start things off. Plus...I really want another water birth. I loved being the in the water and it really helped because of how intense active labor was for me. I was pushing for about 20-25 minutes, and went from 4 cm dilated to 10 in about 1/2 an hour after around 30 hours of slow contractions. So if the next one is the same or more faster (as they say) I'd rather go through that at home than at the hospital if I can.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM

We are planning on another homebirth with a midwife. :

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Well, I guess I'm the odd one out so far--I think (but it's such early days!) I will have another hospital birth. Everything went well for us last time, it felt supportive, and didn't have any interventions or meds. If there was a nice birthing center available, I would definitely go for that, but there's not. One thing I have to say I liked about being in the hospital overnight is that someone else did the laundry and the food (although yes, it was bad but I didn't really care! I was HUNGRY afterwards, lol). And they have cloth diapers and onsite lactation consultants and a place where my dp could sleep in the room with dd and me. So, worked out ok here last time.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Third homebirth for us!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 PM

I applaud all those so ambitious to do home birthing. It seems quite the popular thing nowadays.
Our hospital and my doc are really great though, and don't push any unnecessary medical intervention so I am confident in doing another hospital birth. We also have genetic abnormality concerns (clefting) which would require special feeding and a doctor referral after.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM

We will be birthing at a birth center. I don't think know if it is considered "free standing" because it is part of a hospital system but is it's own center, own building, not even on the same side of town as the actual hospital. Someone will have to let me know!

It is the same place where I had my daughter and I was very happy with the care. My midwife is AWESOME and since she does not do homebirths, she is one of the reason I am going with the center again. They offer epidurals and you can even go over to the day surgery center if for some reason you need a c-section. They have hospital beds and the fetal monitor machines as well. So in those ways it is "hospitaly". But on the plus side, they don't even have a nursery and your baby stays with you from the time it is born until the time it leaves...everything is done in room.

I would like a home birth but I live waaaay out in the country and am just not comfortable being this far away. My son's birth (my first child) was very, very traumatic. I think I still have that in my mind. Maybe if this one goes well (as did my daughter's, my second child) then I will consider it for the next one. It takes my brain a while to wrap around things, lol.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I'm planning a hospital birth, though I'm not super psyched about it. I would really, really love to do a homebirth, but, as I think I posted somewhere else in this forum, my insurance won't cover any of the costs. I know that it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but I used donor sperm to get pregnant, and incurred a significant amount of debt during that process. I just don't have the money to hire an independent midwife, and don't feel like I can responsibly take on more debt right now, you know?
A lot of the midwives I know do payment plans and are willing to barter, if you haven't thought of that I know what you mean about the insurance - it's so stupid. When I had Henry I could have had a $50 cesarean through insurance but they wouldnt give me a dime towards my $3600 homebirth

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM

I am hoping for a unassisted birth, HOWEVER...I am diabetic and will be VBACing...so I will do the best I can. A lot will depend on how my blood sugar is controlled.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Hospital birth with an independent (doesn't take orders from OBs) midwife.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Yah I know that homebirthing is really popular around here and man I really wish I had the cajones to do it but..I don't, I am too much of a worrywart that I just wouldn't feel comfortable and safe.

Sooo...hospital birth for me but like my other births I will be doing it unmedicated and viciously ask people to just leave me the heck alone and let me birth my baby
Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 AM

We are planning a homebirth, but we are staying open to going to the hosptial. I am a higher risk pregnancy, since i have 2 blood clotting disorders, and i have to be open to induction or c section, should my baby go into distress.

But i LOVe my midwife and cannot wait for my homebirth.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 AM

I am choosing a birth center. We live on an island with no hospital (Vashon) Seattle is a 15 min ferry ride away. (could be hours waiting for it though)
I had a scary first home birth in Kona, Hawaii. We had to fly to Honolulu after and I'm just not good with transfers- I will *try* to make it to a birth center in Seattle- this is my second. Many women have had their babies on the pier
Old 12-02-2007, 05:57 PM

undecided!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 PM

BUMP for all the newly pregnant mamma's

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UllaBulla View Post
I am choosing a birth center. We live on an island with no hospital (Vashon) Seattle is a 15 min ferry ride away. (could be hours waiting for it though)
I had a scary first home birth in Kona, Hawaii. We had to fly to Honolulu after and I'm just not good with transfers- I will *try* to make it to a birth center in Seattle- this is my second. Many women have had their babies on the pier
I used to live in Kona, mama!

We're planning a homebirth. I would have loved to have one with #1, but we couldn't afford it. This birth will be paid out of our tax refund. It feels right, but I will trust my instincts and I'm remaining open to something else.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Birth center....but I have a suspicion that this one will be quick. If so, there's no way we're having a baby in the car like our neighbors. It that event we'll just stay home.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Right now we're debating between our birth center like last time and a homebirth. I think we're leaning towards homebirth though...I love the idea of not having to drive anywhere in labor-that was the worst part last time!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UllaBulla View Post
We used to live on Bainbridge Island I always wondered about being in labor on the ferry. At least it would be a scenic place to walk on the deck while in labor---and August you'd have good weather to! I just hope you don't miss the last one of the night!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

If everything goes according to plan, we'll have a homebirth. My best friend is a midwife, so she and/or her partner will be attending-- I'm really excited! We're looking into water birth, as well. I've known for years that I wanted to do it that way if I could.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Birth center again. I will be doing a water birth with a mw.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM

The plan is for a second home birth! It was so nice to not have to go anywhere!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 AM

Well I wanted a home birth with #4 and already interviewed a midwife. I am only 6 weeks so I will be calling the same midwife soon and I am going to get the home birth. Hubby was not fully on board with the last one since we always had hospital birth, but after our last experience he is ok with home birth this time around.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM

right now, the plan is at home. But I'm realizing we might have some issues. we live in an apt, and have hard wood floors so we can't have a birth pool - we can't even have an aquarium! My friend birthed at a FSBC in sept, and it was great, so I might end up going there.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM

I voted for home with a MW. I just hope i actually get to do it! Still working on convincing DH but I talked to the MW last night and all sounds great with her!

User Tag List