Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you started yet? What brand are you taking?

I've been taking them for years due to a history of anemia. I switched to Rainbow Light one-a-day prenatals about a month ago.

''''

#2 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 PM

I've been taking Solgar prenatal nutrients for about 5 years straight - while I'm pregnant, while I'm nursing. They get very difficult to take once the morning sickness hits (2 in the a.m., 2 in the p.m.) because they have that really strong vitamin smell.

My HB midwife recommended them to me while I was pregnant with my first babe, now 11.
#3 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 PM

I normally take them while we are TTC but since we weren't actively TTC this one (but it is welcome just the same) I haven't been on them. My midwife says that the "new thing" is vitamins with DHA in them. I need to go by the health food store and see what they have.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#4 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM

: I take 3 of my kids Flintstone vitamins...the rest make me ill
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#5 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 PM

I have never taken vitamins (maybe first pregnancy?) as I had hyperemesis and couldn't keep them down at all. With this one, I am taking Zoloft (woo hoo!), a B complex vitamin and 800mg of folic acid. I eat really well and get my other vitamins through teas and foods.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#6 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM

I just take generic Rite Aid prenatal vitamins. They've got the vitamin A as beta carotene (which is important) and 800mcg of folic acid, so I figure they're just as good as the more expensive kind. And they don't smell like anything, which helps when the morning sickness hits.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#7 of 36 Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
hyz

I just went out today and bought Whole Foods brand 1-a-day, along with a vegan Omega complex vitamin and a Calcium/Magnesium/D supplement. I had been taking the regular Whole Foods prenatal (3 huge pills a day)--I started when we started TTC, 2+ months ago--so I was glad to find the 1 a day. I'm 98% vegan, too, so I thought the calcium and Omegas were probably a good idea.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#8 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 PM

I'm not taking prenatals this time-I want to try to get most of my nutrients from a good diet. Plus, I am drinking a big glass of superfood everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Blessed mama of four
::
#9 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM

I've been taking prenatal since before I conceived my daughter. I also take B12, Cal/mag, folic acid, omega-3's & since we're sharing Lamictal & Seroquel for Bipolar I Disorder. I'll also be taking clonazepam in my 3rd trimester : I went through my last pregnancy unmedicated. I'll never do that again!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#10 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM

I've been taking folic acid and omega 3's but not a prenatal. I probably will, hope to get my iron levels checked to find out what to do there.
#11 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have been taking prenatal from trader joes, and plan to continue with my 6 grams of fish oil and my prozac daily. But friends who have been pregnant have told me that I need to get a prescription strength prenatal now...is that true? I am also planning on adding freshly ground flaxseed to my meals daily.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#12 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Here in the UK the only extras we have to take are Folic 400mg but I see that some of you are taking 800. We have many of our foods with folic added such as cereals and bread so what do your health dept recommend.

Clare
#13 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
I have been taking prenatal from trader joes, and plan to continue with my 6 grams of fish oil and my prozac daily. But friends who have been pregnant have told me that I need to get a prescription strength prenatal now...is that true? I am also planning on adding freshly ground flaxseed to my meals daily.
Hi! I'm in Baltimore too. Have you picked a midwife yet?

There's no reason why you should need a prescription vitamin. As far as I can tell, the only real advantage to prescription prenatals is that insurance is more likely to pay for them.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#14 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Hi Rivka,
I think that I will be going with someone at Special Beginnings in Annapolis...plan to call them tomorrow...any suggestions?

Aimee

Longing for our rainbow
#15 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM

I agree with Rivka - prescription vitamins aren't a necessity, and thank goodness we can get most nutrients from diet! I look at the vitamin as a source of what I miss...
#16 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 07:23 PM

I am taking new chapter's organic whole food prenatal and a vegetarian dha supplement. though I eat a pretty well balanced diet, i prefer to cover my bases if I can, and am not too ill to keep them down.
#17 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
I switched to Rainbow Light one-a-day prenatals about a month ago.
I also take Rainbow Light 1/day but have been thinking of switching to the 6/day when this bottle run out. I like knowing that at least I have the basics covered with the vitamin now that I am nursing, pregnant & dairy free.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#18 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
Hi Rivka,
I think that I will be going with someone at Special Beginnings in Annapolis...plan to call them tomorrow...any suggestions?
Special Beginnings looks really nice! It's a bit far away for me, though.

I see Kathy Slone Associates in Baltimore. Julie Bell is my favorite - she delivered my daughter, and she was AMAZING.

Their office is in Charles Village, and they deliver at Mercy Hospital. If you're trying to avoid a hospital altogether, then obviously they wouldn't work for you. But I found that they did a phenomenal job of helping me have exactly the birth I wanted, even in a hospital environment.

#19 of 36 Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka5 View Post
Special Beginnings looks really nice! It's a bit far away for me, though.

I see Kathy Slone Associates in Baltimore. Julie Bell is my favorite - she delivered my daughter, and she was AMAZING.

Their office is in Charles Village, and they deliver at Mercy Hospital. If you're trying to avoid a hospital altogether, then obviously they wouldn't work for you. But I found that they did a phenomenal job of helping me have exactly the birth I wanted, even in a hospital environment.

Hey, small world, although I'm in Canada now, I lived in Baltimore for years, and I'm pretty sure that Kathy Slone was the name of a nurse practitioner I saw a number of times at JHU student health. Can that be right? That would have been a decade ago...Anyway, remember b/c I liked her!
#20 of 36 Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM

I just started taking SuperNutrition - Prenatal Blend before that I was taking a Puritan Pride brand.

SuperNutrition - Prenatal Blend seems to be the best one I can find. The levels of vitamins seem to be wonderful! I started taking them this month before I found out I was pregnant- strange huh??

I'm still nursing DD that's why I continued taking them.
#21 of 36 Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Hi Rivka 5...I am in Hampden, so Special Beginnings is a bit far...but I think we will still use them (though I just find out our insurance might not cover it-urgh, why? It will be cheaper than a hospital, right?)...I called and made an appointment and the woman I spoke me told me to take an otc prenatal...so I am no longer worrying about a prescription...A few people I know really like kathy sloane's practice..

Longing for our rainbow
#22 of 36 Old 12-08-2007, 01:18 AM

I am also taking the Rainbow 1 a day prenatals. Have been for awhile. I have been taking prenatals for over 4years now. After 2 kiddos and bfing since September of 2004, I have been taking lots of prenatals! These Rainbow ones have lots of great stuff like the RRL and other support stuff for pregnancy. They do taste nasty though and make me want to GaK, even before I got pregnant. LOL!
#23 of 36 Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 AM

I was taking generic prenatal vitamins 4 months ago when I was actively trying and then stopped. I think I'm going to start them back up since my dr's appt isn't for another two weeks. I'll be about 7 weeks by then. The earlier, the better.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#24 of 36 Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 PM

I'm following the WAPF pregnancy diet so I can avoid synthetic vitamins. The only thing synthetic I take right now is Folic Acid. I thought I was getting food based folate through rainbow light vits but found out that the natural form is called folate and synthetic is called folic acid which the vits have. I believe I'll be switching to nutritional yeast for natural folate the next time I go to Whole Foods.
#25 of 36 Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka5 View Post
I just take generic Rite Aid prenatal vitamins. They've got the vitamin A as beta carotene (which is important) and 800mcg of folic acid, so I figure they're just as good as the more expensive kind. And they don't smell like anything, which helps when the morning sickness hits.
While beta carotene is all natural, it is the water soluable form of vit A which is not easily used by the body. If you want a good source of natural fat soluable vit A and D that your body can really absorb, try cod liver oil capsules. There are only a few brands that actually retain the natural vitamins while remove heavy metals and those brands are Blue Ice, Dr. Ron's and Radiant Life. I take Blue Ice capsules. I tried the liquid but it makes me gag even when I don't have MS. Cod liver oil will also provide those good Omega 3's we all need. I take it even when not pregnant.
#26 of 36 Old 12-09-2007, 01:42 PM

I am taking prenatals, magnesium, fish oil and calcium.

I never took magnesium before I joined MDC but someone here recommended it as prevention against leg cramping. And I had zero cramps during my last pregnancy after I started the magnesium! I am going to continue my vitamins because I very likely will have GD again and will be on a very restricted diet along with insulin.
#27 of 36 Old 12-09-2007, 09:19 PM

I've started my generic prenatals and are calling the nurse the make sure these are ok. I won't have a doctor's appointment for a while now.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#28 of 36 Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM

I'm taking New Chapter's Perfect Prenatal.
#29 of 36 Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 PM

rainbow light 1 a day
#30 of 36 Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm also taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. Love them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page