Help with smells and ms! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my dd I had fairly severe (though not as bad as some!) ms, and hoping I can avoid it this time. So far, so good, but I wasn't sick at this point last time either.

I do already have the super-doberman nose, I can sniff out anything, whether I want to or not,lol!

Here's the question: can you recommend something that smells yummy or fresh that is easily portable, so that I can take it with me and stick under my nose in case of contact with undesirable smells? Last week at work I went into the women's washroom and it just about kickstarted the ms for me. I really needed something to hold under my nose while I was in there.

Any ideas??? TIA.
#2 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM

I get pretty bad ms from 6 weeks onwards to about 15 weeks. I found that making sure I drank water all thru the day that was nice and cold, ice chips too helped. Then lemon was great. I carried a piece of Lemon Verbena tree leaves. They have natural lemon but not too sharp - not sure if you have them in US but it helped. I think there is no one thing that helps and you just have to go with your own body. Some swear by ginger but i could not go near the stuff.
Clare
#3 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
I can sniff out anything, whether I want to or not,lol!
Arg. The Pregnant Nose. I know just what you mean... I love Clare's (my daughter's name!) idea of lemon - you can even just carry a wedge with you and suck on it from time to time. To make less mess, wrap it and band it in a little piece of cheesecloth. Ginger really does work, too. I get ginger 'snaps' (more like little Altoids, but ginger...Vermont, something - when I remember, I'll be back) from the health food store, or a little grated ginger on your tongue. Mint tea helps me, but I don't like the funk it leaves on my tongue.

We're right there with you - it's one of the least exciting parts of pregnancy! But, a Pregnant Nose really can save you from getting sick - I've heard that our noses are so very sensitive during pregnancy to help us avoid things that aren't good for our bodies....
#4 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:06 PM

I was all about mint. I carried pepermint oil, drank peppermint tea & chewed lots of gum. Good luck!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#5 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Popping in from July.

Smells can really be a tough one. Two things that I know have helped other women:
1. Vicks under the nose. It just wipes out every smell... besides the Vick's.
2. I had this essential oil inhaler from Earth Solutions for nausea from travel, but it worked well for M/S, too. http://www.earthsolutions.com/produc...aler-41-8.html It's totally easy to transport & you can order them through Frontier if you do coops.

Wishing you health & happiness!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#6 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Ohhh I am so empathetic- it was so bad for me that I couldn't cook, use anything scented or even wear scented body care products! I swear by lemon essential oil- I would carry a small bottle around and take a sniff when I needed it. I also second the peppermint suggestion- I was constantly sucking on hard peppermint candies. But they had to have actual peppermint oil in them to work, not the fake stuff.

Good luck; hopefully it passes soon!
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM

I had pretty severe hyperemesis the last go around (picc line/tpn and bedrest for quite a while), and one thing scent wise that really helped me was lemon. Try carrying a sachel with lemon essential oil in it and breathing it in when something gag worthy is around. I hope you feel better!
#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clare, just wondering if you are the Clare that just gave me some tips on the helpher.org board??

OP..peppermint oil on a tissue saved me most days. I did a lot of walking during my last pregnancy because I had no car, and hubby worked a lot, so I had to walk by petrol stations and smell road fumes(in the UK) so I put peppermint oil(found in cooking section at the grocery store) on a tissue before I went anywhere and pretty much kept it at my nose.It stopped me from puking I dont know how many times. Anywhere I went where i knew there would be smells(pubs, grocery stores, especially outside air) I used it!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#9 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions! Keep em coming, if you think of anything else. I'm really not feeling too badly, but I want to be prepared and help forestall the ms or treat it as well as I can this time!

I can laugh NOW, but last time, not only could I not cook, but for some reason it was not just the garbage or the compost but some smells that would come from our refridge when opened that would make me sick every time! Dh cleaned it out from top to bottom, put like 6 boxes of baking soda in there, some extra strength odor remover (activated charcoal?? dunno) in there, and STILL I could NOT be in the room when the fridge was opened. Now dh is very sympathetic but I KNOW he thought I was a mental case b/c he could not smell anything. And I would SCREAM at him if he so much as opened the fridge to get a glass of water without warning me first,
How pathetic is that? Poor guy, I was like: YOU DID NOT TELL ME YOU WERE ABOUT TO OPEN THE ****FRIDGE**** !!!! as I would go running to the front door gasping for cold winter air to try to keep from throwing up. OY.

Definitely going to try to get armed with some lemon and mint goodies.
#10 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and not only could I barely step foot in the kitchen, but I was useless for grocery shopping too. WHY, oh why, do they put all those roast chickens at the front of the grocery store??? If I had to go in there, I would take a gasp of breath and RUN in sprinting past the front with all the gross chicken and prepared foods section smells as far as I could to some safer sector until I had to take a breath. Yeah, people thought I was :
#11 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM

What about water? : While I was pregnant with my Clare (#3), I became a water connoisseur. I could tell tap water from filtered, bottled water by brand... I am still rather particular on what water I drink, but my sensitivity skyrockets while I'm pregnant!
#12 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
Clare, just wondering if you are the Clare that just gave me some tips on the helpher.org board??
Hi! Yes, I'm there, too, with the same username. I just took a break when I discovered I was pregnant. I just felt like I needed to tune inward more to see if I could prevent HG as much as possible. And, I'm 8 weeks now & HG-free. I don't even have M/S! It's wild. I've never had a pregnancy like this. I'll go back to HelpHer to post what worked for me as soon as I'm a little further along. Wishing you an HG-free healthy, happy pregnancy.

#13 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi! Yes, I'm there, too, with the same username. I just took a break when I discovered I was pregnant. I just felt like I needed to tune inward more to see if I could prevent HG as much as possible. And, I'm 8 weeks now & HG-free. I don't even have M/S! It's wild. I've never had a pregnancy like this. I'll go back to HelpHer to post what worked for me as soon as I'm a little further along. Wishing you an HG-free healthy, happy pregnancy
Oh HI!! I am on there, but I am not pregnant, now, or I dont know if I am. I am still waiting on AF...: Not nauseaous YET, but feeling other stuff already. Heres hoping for HG FREE pregnancies!!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#14 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Lime essential oil is great too. One drop on a really cold washcloth.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#15 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitions View Post
Oh HI!! I am on there, but I am not pregnant, now, or I dont know if I am. I am still waiting on AF...: Not nauseaous YET, but feeling other stuff already. Heres hoping for HG FREE pregnancies!!
Here's to vibes for you! HG-Free vibes, too! I hope you're fluffy! I was actually quite nauseous from week 3-4 but then it pretty much went away, thank goodness. There's a link in my siggie that explains what I'm doing, but I'm not really taking traditional HG meds. Remember to be proactive, so if you're planning on doing diclitin or zofran start it at your positive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page