Is anyone else lying about the date of their last period? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told the doctor that my last period was three days later than it actually was - figured that would buy me a little time at the end.

Last time I was induced at 42 weeks and I will do anything to avoid that again!

Anyone else?
#2 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Well, no - but I would if I had reason to suspect I'd got past the due date! It cracks me up that you're doing it.
#3 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

I should probably. Both times I've conceived it's been far longer than the "traditional" two weeks after AF. I have long cycles and ovulate closer to 3-4 weeks in. My last PG, my docs didn't believe me when I said that there was no way my due date would be 6/12, based on LMP. Weren't they "surpised" (and I was vindicated) when my 16 week US actually showed I was 14 weeks. And, guess what? My DS was born on the due date I originally calculated based on my NFP charts!

This time around, I'm hoping my MW will listen to me and accept my EDD as more accurate than one based on LMP.

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#4 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM

No. My midwives have no problem with a pregnancy that goes beyond 42 weeks, as long as all is well.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#5 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM

I think if my MW did not respect the Due Date I calculated especially if I was doing NFP and knew when I Oed and Implanted I would probably find someone else to do my care. That is just not the kind of relationship I would want with my MW.

I know I Oed on Nov 8 and am almost positive I implanted 6 days later. But my LMP is totally off since it was actually a M/C.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#6 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
I think if my MW did not respect the Due Date I calculated especially if I was doing NFP and knew when I Oed and Implanted I would probably find someone else to do my care. That is just not the kind of relationship I would want with my MW.

I know I Oed on Nov 8 and am almost positive I implanted 6 days later. But my LMP is totally off since it was actually a M/C.
You're totally right. I was furious at my doctors last time (one of many reasons...they also didn't "believe" I had back labor), and that's one of the reasons I wanted a MW this time. My perception has been that generally they are more woman-friendly and understand and respect how in-touch with our bodies many women are. This practice comes HIGHLY recommended, but my first visit is still a trial to feel her out!

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#7 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka5 View Post
No. My midwives have no problem with a pregnancy that goes beyond 42 weeks, as long as all is well.

Mine, too. I can understand telling the fib, though - some providers waaaaay overreact.
#8 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

My last due date was right but my baby wasn't ready to come! At 41w5d I was at zero progress. Its not actually about overaccting - in Maryland there is a state law that doesn't allow midwives (or docs) to deliver after 42 weeks. Not sure if that law exists elsewhere or not. The only option if you go past 42 weeks and don't agree to an induction is a homebirth.
#9 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1972 View Post
Its not actually about overaccting - in Maryland there is a state law that doesn't allow midwives (or docs) to deliver after 42 weeks. Not sure if that law exists elsewhere or not. The only option if you go past 42 weeks and don't agree to an induction is a homebirth.
Huh. I never heard of that, and I'm in Maryland. My hospital-birth midwives told me that if I went over 42 weeks they'd want to see me daily and do biophysical profiles, but they never said it was illegal to deliver babies after 42 weeks. That was in 2005. Is this a new law?

...I don't even see how a law like that would make sense. How could there be a law that says it's illegal for doctors to provide critical medical care? Seriously, if a woman shows up at a hospital in labor and she's 42w1d, how would it make sense for state law to require that the doctors send her home with no care?

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#10 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 PM

Well, if I was going back to my OB, yes I would probably lie... except this time I know from my chart that I O'ed on Cd16, not CD21 or whatever with DS, so there won't be a week's difference. I couldn't have conceived before the date my chart showed - I was out of state for the 3 weeks prior to the weekend we conceived! Of course my OB is the doctor and he
knows better... and then, go figure, DS measured right on target with the OB's EDD.

DS was born at 36 weeks, so while I won't lie to my midwife, I don't want to be forced to have a hospital birth if she won't attend me before 37 weeks, either.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#11 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka5 View Post
Huh. I never heard of that, and I'm in Maryland. My hospital-birth midwives told me that if I went over 42 weeks they'd want to see me daily and do biophysical profiles, but they never said it was illegal to deliver babies after 42 weeks. That was in 2005. Is this a new law?

...I don't even see how a law like that would make sense. How could there be a law that says it's illegal for doctors to provide critical medical care? Seriously, if a woman shows up at a hospital in labor and she's 42w1d, how would it make sense for state law to require that the doctors send her home with no care?
I agree, it is unbelievable. I'm sure it has to do with malpractice insurance. I don't know if its a new law or not, my son was born in 2006 and that was the case at that time. My understanding is that "critical" care is different than regular care. Docs / emergency rooms etc are not allowed to refuse care for a urgent situation, even if that person doesn't have insurance, is in the country illegally or whatever. I remember CA tried to pass legislation that prevented docs from giving urgent care to people here illegally and that was rejected - I'm sure if someone showed up at a hospital in labor she'd be taken care of. But that isn't a very realistic situation, at least for me since I get regular medical care.
#12 of 13 Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM

My midwives are fine with me going over 42 weeks. I'm in PA. My first son was induced at 42 but #2 came at 39w1d, so we're figuring we won't have to worry about this one being too too late.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#13 of 13 Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 AM

My mother told me that she always lied to the docs and people who asked her due date. They don't bug you as much. LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page