cloth diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who is planning on using cloth? I didn't use cloth until Grace was six months old, so I didn't get to use the cute tiny diapers. I have quite the stash since I used to own a online cloth diaper store. There are so many new lines out now. I'll start with CPFs, then I'm sure the obsession will begin!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM

ME!!!! However I am panicked because after my last baby and the trauma of a C-section I swore I would never have another and got rid of all of my cloth diapers. So...I am going to have to start from scratch. I am so excited to CD again though!!!
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#3 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 PM

we cd. I am so excited about breaking out the tiny ones!
#4 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM

We do too. I'm trying to resist the urge to sell some extras and build my stash again. It's such an obsession! My husband totally doesn't get it

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#5 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM

Count me in! I had so many gifts of disposables that i did not start cloth full time until she was about 4mths. So I am soooo looking forward to buying the tiny ones!

Now we are basically done PLing (started at 17mths just finished at 21mths, we moved to a new home and it totally threw things off for awhile but now things are great again!) so I am just doing night time dipes. While I love CDing I am actually enjoying NO daytime dipes for awhile.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#6 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Count me in! I started part time CDing with my son when he was around four or five months. He was in daycare because I worked so I could only do them at home. With DD I was home from the start but was backslid from my crunchiness. My friend CDed and gave me some so I got back into it when she was around four months. I want to do this one from the start. I'm excited.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#7 of 68 Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 PM

I really want to CD. However, where we live now we don't have a washer in the apt. No way am I gonna wash poo in the shared apt machines!

If it's available, we may consider a diaper-washing service.
#8 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 AM

I did cloth exclusively from birth with #2 and started around 2 months with #1. I love the tiny dipes. It is way less stinky cding a babe than a toddler!
#9 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
I really want to CD. However, where we live now we don't have a washer in the apt. No way am I gonna wash poo in the shared apt machines!

If it's available, we may consider a diaper-washing service.
I'm in the same boat- I'd love to do cloth, but I share one washer with six other units in my building, one of which has small children. So, we all try to be respectful about not hogging the machine.

I've been thinking about doing GDiapers. Anyone had any experiences with these? They're the kind with a reusable outer covering, and inner liners that can be flushed or composted...

I thought about diaper service, but there isn't one in my whole state!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#10 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM

I use cloth! Henry was cd'd from birth, and Keith I started at 4 months. I can't wait to get all the tiny little diapers out again!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#11 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM

AngelaM, where do I go to learn about GDiapers? That sounds like it could be a possibility for us "share-the-washer" people.

Ok, now that I think about it; Disposables sound so much more convenient! Dh asked this morning why I want to CD, and I couldn't answer. Nor can I find much convincing on-line.

Fill me in ladies.
#12 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM

I already have a whole drawer full!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#13 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Count us in too. We didn't last time just because I didn't know anything about the world of cloth diapering, still don't really...so I am going to need all you ladies help when the time gets closer!
#14 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
AngelaM, where do I go to learn about GDiapers? That sounds like it could be a possibility for us "share-the-washer" people.

Ok, now that I think about it; Disposables sound so much more convenient! Dh asked this morning why I want to CD, and I couldn't answer. Nor can I find much convincing on-line.

Fill me in ladies.
If you search the diapering forum for "gdiapers" you'll find out more about them. Seems like lots of people here use them with cloth liners, which still doesn't help those of us without laundry.

Yeah, I hear you on the convenience thing. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. Environmentally, cloth is clearly better, and there's evidence that says it's better for baby too. But, I'm also going to be a single working mother without a washing machine, and I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to do it.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#15 of 68 Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Definitely cloth diapers. DD had a few disposables put on her in hospital last time, but after that first 36 hours or so, I've never ever ever put another single disposable on that little butt. Not on a long car trip, not at a friend's house, never. Never had a pack of sposies in the house. It's so easy when that's all you know! Plus, this time it'll be free--nothing I have to buy (though of course I will buy some more cloth, I am sure).

Advantages? Dd has never had a diaper rash. I don't think I can recall EVER having a poop blowout. (No can't say that about leaks though, accidents, we've had a few...) I never have to go for a diaper run to the store. So much better for baby. SO SO SO much better for the environment. So much more aesthetically appealing. Did I mention how much better for the landfills? When I have spent money on diapering, that money has mostly gone to WAHMs handmaking a product, not Walmart. So, another advantage is dh and I feel good about all this as well. Ok, I'm sure there's more, but....off of soapbox now! LOL.
#16 of 68 Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM

DH and I really want to use cloth for environmental reasons, but we're feeling really intimidated by all the different options. This is our first baby, so we're pretty clueless about everything. We don't have any friends or close family members with kids, either (we're the first in our circle to get pregnant), and I've never met anyone who used cloth, so we can't really ask people we know for advice. I've just been lurking around the Diapering forum and trying to learn from all the mamas there.

For those who already have a "stash", what kinds of things do you recommend for a newbie on a moderate budget? I'm leaning towards prefolds (I've been hearing good things about the ones from Green Mountain Diapers), and am still checking out the different kinds of covers. So many choices to make! :
#17 of 68 Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Gdiapers website is www.gdiapers.com

Amy... mom to
#18 of 68 Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM

I returned all of the diapers that we recieved as gifts and he only has worn disposables in the hospital. We have travelled! In laws live 400 miles away, we do that once a month and we have been to MI (10 hours in the car)
The only issue is that DS chooses car rides to POO. It never fails, we get in the car and 20 minutes we here the tell tale sounds... :

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#19 of 68 Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM

We will be using a baby diaper service again.
#20 of 68 Old 12-13-2007, 04:06 PM

What about those flushable liners like Kushies. I read that they're supposed to catch the poop so you're only left with the wet part which is easier to keep in a pail. I'm new to this too and I was concerned about the poopy parts stinking up the apartment - this looks like a possibility.

D
#21 of 68 Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay View Post
What about those flushable liners like Kushies. I read that they're supposed to catch the poop so you're only left with the wet part which is easier to keep in a pail. I'm new to this too and I was concerned about the poopy parts stinking up the apartment - this looks like a possibility.

D
I tried those with Keith and found they were more trouble than they were worth. When they're exclusively breastfed their poop doesn't really stink, and then once they start solids it usually just rolls off the diaper into the toilet I've found.

Amy... mom to
#22 of 68 Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Oooooooh I'm so excited to cd a newborn I didn't start cd dd until she was 8 mo old. I already have a newborn and small stash (actually, I've had most of it for 18 mos now ) They are in storage but if I recall I have tons of preemie & infant prefolds. Bummis covers in newborn & small. And a dozen Muttaqin newborn fitteds.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#23 of 68 Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post
Who is planning on using cloth? I didn't use cloth until Grace was six months old, so I didn't get to use the cute tiny diapers. I have quite the stash since I used to own a online cloth diaper store. There are so many new lines out now. I'll start with CPFs, then I'm sure the obsession will begin!
We didn't start CDing DD until she was six months also!! I have never experienced the tiny cloths. I was contemplating using disposables throughout the "newborn" stage and then when he/she is in a 1/2 convert to cloth. Considering how much you change diapers during that first month or so, I don't know if I could keep up with the laundry, 3 other kids and the newborn demands!
#24 of 68 Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay View Post

D
Honestly I don't even use a pail, just an open wash basin. they only really stunk if I took way to long to wash them. I found that a closed pail stunk up the room WAY more since the pee/poo fermented in the pail and each time you opened it the WICKED stench got out. But with an open pail the fermentation process really does not happen since it is not a closed warm environment.

Also those liners are a PITA! I found they never really stayed in place properly and I would find them kind of shoved up my DD's "girl parts":. The only time I did use them was when she came down with a persistent Yeast Diaper Rash (which was from a dairy allergy), I used all sorts of creams to help her deal with the uncomfortableness and clear it up. I did not want those creams on the Diaper else they may never really come off without lots of washing and striping.

The nice thing about CD in general is that you don't need diaper cream. Another PLUS for CDing.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#25 of 68 Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 AM

I have 2 kids in cloth right now. . . my 3 year old and my 15 month old. Honestly, I don't even want to think about it until my 3 year olds considers potty training. I've done 3 in diapers before, and it's TOUGH!
#26 of 68 Old 12-14-2007, 01:06 PM

With my other two I used a cd service. I really liked that. But this time we have our apartment with a washer/drying in the kitchen and I've been considering buying and washing my own. The cuteness factor is high (fluffy mail, fitteds instead of all flats) as is the reduced expense and water usage. But I've never done it myself and I'm a tad intimidated. Leaving the bag of dirties by the doorstep and finding a perfect stack of white fluffy new ones when you get home was reeeeaaaally convenient. We're pretty bad about laundry as it is with the two kids. But I'm guessing we'll be doing it ourselves this time.
#27 of 68 Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
With my other two I used a cd service. I really liked that. But this time we have our apartment with a washer/drying in the kitchen and I've been considering buying and washing my own. The cuteness factor is high (fluffy mail, fitteds instead of all flats) as is the reduced expense and water usage. But I've never done it myself and I'm a tad intimidated. Leaving the bag of dirties by the doorstep and finding a perfect stack of white fluffy new ones when you get home was reeeeaaaally convenient. We're pretty bad about laundry as it is with the two kids. But I'm guessing we'll be doing it ourselves this time.
Cloth diaper laundry is NOT bad. I don't handle gross things well, and diapers don't bother me at all. And starting with a newborn is the best. . . it's not gross at the beginning, and you get more and more used to it as time goes on.
#28 of 68 Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM

We'll be using cloth, although I'm not sure how yet. We'll be living with DBF's parents, and he doesn't think they're going to be too happy about the idea of diapers in their washing machine, so...I still have to figure that out.

I'll definitely be using them, though.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#29 of 68 Old 12-21-2007, 11:12 AM

Me!

We started cloth with DS when he was already 9 or 10 months old. I have a fair amount of BG one-size pockets, a lot of BG AIO mediums, a few Happy Heiney pockets, and a few random ones that I tested (FBs, Drybees - I actually really liked these, I just couldn't spend any more money, Swaddlebees), and a ton of prefolds and hemp inserts, which I just love having.

I'll see how it goes... I'll probably buy some newbie stuff, and then some small pockets and inserts. Once I figure out the sizing on a littler one I hope to be able to do it for not too much money. Stephanie from www.abbyslane.com is SO helpful and I'll probably be buying from her again this time around.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#30 of 68 Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM

We're planning to use cloth too but are totally new to this whole baby world. Does anyone have a favorite kind of CD or a favorite place to get them?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page