BBT Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so. I've been taking my BBT this cycle - never did stop. I take it so I can see a nice high temp and start the day reassured.

This morning's temp dipped a bit and I called the midwife, freaked out. She said that what my BBT does bares no indication of whether the pregnancy is healthy. Huh?
I thought high progesterone = high temp.
Can anyone fill me in?

(I did get a blood draw today. We'll see.)

Update: Prog and hcg levels both good! Go figure. Stopped temping - much less freaked now.
#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM

maybe I can help, I'd been charting for over three years when I got pg.. here's what I understand:

In general, your temp will be in post-o range when pregnant. and you're right, progesterone is the 'heating' hormone that makes your temp higher. The BBT is influenced by a lot of other thigns too though, and a high temp doesn't always mean high progesterone. a dip doesn't really mean anything either, and the dip you saw, from about 98.5 to 98.4 is very small, one tenth of a degree. fluctuations are normal. your temp really looks nice and steady though I know you're temping to give yourself reassurance that this pregnancy will stick, but a lot of charters on another board I'm on have had to stop temping because it stresses them out. (FWIW, I got a bfp 4 days ago and am still temping)

your temp can fall and you can still have a healthy pg and likewise your temp can stay high and the pregnancy end.

#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Texas,
So, as long as it's above the coverline, I'm good? Otherwise, it's useless?
Sheesh. I think I may ditch it soon like the other women you know!
#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 PM

even the coverline is just a general guide to separate the pre-o, temps and post-o temps it doesn't really mean much. The way FF sets coverlines is arbitrary. the way NFP sets a coverline is different than the way FAM sets a coverline. try not to stress yourself out over it. I feel like because it is so variable, falling below the coverline doesn't really matter. It seems liek a very steep dip might mean a drop in hormones, but at the same time that can also be caused by sleeping with your mouth open. if you were temping, and you saw a huge dip, it would be very stressful and might not mean anything.

I hope your test results reassure you!
#5 of 9 Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM

I ditched mine...every little 10th degree temp freaked me out last time, and my temp stayed high even though my baby's heartbeat was slowing down.

So this time, bye-bye thermometer!

Everyone told me that those little fluctuations are nothing as well.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#6 of 9 Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 PM

I am still temping and I got my BFP 12 days ago I figure I will continue to do it until the end of first tri, or until the thermometer makes me gag -- whichever comes first.

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/9b65e
#7 of 9 Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hey fyoosh,
I found many sources saying that there comes a point when bbt means nothing. I found a place it said the bbt can help predict a m/c, and another that summed up all the others, "it's a very affective way to drive yourself crazy, and that's all it'll do." (or something like that)
Just to warn you. That way, if you get a low temp (like I did), you'll know not to panic.
Holly
#8 of 9 Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, I would never temp past a BFP, its not going to tell you anything. It will just drive you crazy.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#9 of 9 Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 AM

Nah, it won't drive me crazy. I am just weird, and I like to see what my body's doing. I am not worried about low temps. I just like to see what it's going to do until the end of the first tri. I wonder if anyone (ever) has charted through an ENTIRE pregnancy. I wonder if it can tell you when labor is imminent or anything. That'd be interesting...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page