Saying hi; major BBT dip - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, ladies. I've been lurking on the TTC board for a few months now. I got pregnant (first pregnancy) during our fourth month TTC, first month charting. I got my positive HPT 12/13 (actually, four positive HPTs!); my period was due 12/11 or 12/12. My coverline temp is 98.04. Since ovulation I've been mostly between 98.2 and 98.8. Yesterday my temp was 98.88, but I took it an hour later than normal because I slept late with a bad cold. This morning, it was 97.66, lower than it's been since before ovulation, but I did have to open my mouth a bit to breathe while taking my temp today because I have such a bad cold. Should I be concerned about miscarriage? My mom has a history of many miscarriages, so it's always been a concern for me. Thanks for any help you can give!
#2 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Sleeping with your mouth open can definitely affect your BBT. I've lurked on the FF chart gallery and not all pregnancy charts have high BBT after 14DPO...they go up and down a little bit sometimes it seems. Not sure what it means though.

Do you have an OB yet? To ease your mind, you could go in for bloodwork to test your progesterone (and hcg).

Oh and here's another thread talking about BBT that may help:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=811171

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM

I know nothing about BBT, but I wouldn't worry about one lower temp. If you're worried, call your OB or MW and they should be able to help put your mind at ease. Or if you have an extra, POAS and see the dark line come through....

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#4 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and for the input. If it was a small dip, as in the other BBT thread, I wouldn't really be concerned. It was just the giant dip that caught my attention. I'm in the process of switching from an OB to a midwife; my first appointment is Jan. 3. Since I don't know the midwife yet and there's nothing she could do to stop a miscarriage at this point, I probably won't contact her.
#5 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM

This isn't overly helpful, but...
I do remember seeing a preg chart on FF that had a single super-low dip, then went back up - no problem.
And I do know letting air into your mouth while temping can dramatically change your temp. I've done that a few times.
#6 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Good news, ladies. This morning my temp was back up - way up - at 99.05. That should be a good sign, shouldn't it? Thanks so much for the encouragement and input yesterday.
#7 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 04:47 PM

That's very good! I stopped taking my BBT a few days after getting my BFP because I know it would just stress me out

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#8 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 AM

I have stopped bbt too! Last time (my m/c), I kept temping and they were up and consistently up even for weeks after my eventual d&c. IME mouth breathing has a huge effect on temps.
I think I am going to sleep better too!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#9 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM

I had a dip this morning (18 DPO) but DH left the window open and it was freezing in the room (we're in Canada right now), so I'm assuming that was the cause of the dip. I've only been taking my temperature randomly, but maybe I should stop - it is stressful!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#10 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking that I may stop now too. We're going out of town for a week at Christmas, and if I leave my thermometer at home I won't have the option. That may be the only way to break me of it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page