Workout Plans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies, are you currently or planning to start exercising? If so, what are you going to do?

My aunt swears that all I need to do is walk everyday for an hour. I plan to do some yoga (for stretching and relaxing) and light weights (to keep my arms toned). Suggestions?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#2 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM

I just walk every day. We live in the center of town so it's easier to walk a lot of places instead of drive. That's all I did with Henry.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Ughhh.....just the thought of going downstairs to put laundry in makes me tired. To think of doing some sort of exercise regimen at this point makes me want a nap! LOL I do do a fair amount of walking. Hopefully 2nds trimester will offer up some more energy so I can stay in shape somewhat! :-)

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#4 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM

Quick question:
Would excercise (ie walking) help or hurt my near-constant foot and calf cramps? I want to fix the darn pain, whatever it takes. Suggestions?
#5 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Prayingfor12, I don't know. Have you thought about yoga or stretching exercises?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#6 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 12:32 PM

No. I actually don't know anything about yoga. Nor do I have a tv to stick in a tape to follow. Suggestions?
#7 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

This site recommends some good exercises. http://www.fitpregnancy.com/

I've also been doing this stretches everyday. I'm not a big yoga person but I wanted to try it for my pregnancy since I've heard lots of great things about it. http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/pfirst.html

#8 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 PM

I haven't been doing much of anything lately. I was on a diet, and had been doing crunches and lunges and things like that, but I stopped when I found out. I used to do yoga regularly, and will probably find a prenatal yoga class to go to walking is good, and I'll be doing a lot of that soon. I'm a college student and walk all over campus, up many flights of stairs, etc. I walk around 10000 steps a day
#9 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
Quick question:
Would excercise (ie walking) help or hurt my near-constant foot and calf cramps? I want to fix the darn pain, whatever it takes. Suggestions?
Are you getting enough potassium?

Amy... mom to
#10 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Yoga Yoga Yoga

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#11 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM

I would suggest Yoga. Google prenatal yoga and you will find lots of sites with great info. Just be careful as there are some poses you don't want to do during pregnancy.

I am also joining Curves in Jan for a little extra motivation. I swam my entire last pregnancy (indoor pool) and plan to get a pass to the University Pool as well. It makes a world of difference!
#12 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
Quick question:
I'm not sure about exercise, but magnesium nipped mine in the bud during my last pregnancy.

I plan to continue daily exercise during this pregnancy. I walk daily and try never to miss 2 days in a row. I'm hoping it keeps my GD at bay.
#13 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm going keep walking 1 mile or more several x's a week and start prenatal yoga 1x a week. I had done a few beginning yoga classes that I loved!

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#14 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM

I just signed up for a yoga class that starts in January. . . a prenatal yoga that is taught by a doula. I'm really excited. I might ask her about a DVD to do at home, too.
#15 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Potassium and magnesium are both good to go. So are water, stretching, sodium, and calcium.

I'm seeing that many of you are diggin' yoga, so I'll check that out. Thanks.

I also seem to be finding that if I just do regular house-keeping "exercise," that helps. I am having to be very careful to sit as much as I stand though.

This thread is encouraging. I'm getting some more cramp-be-gone options.
#16 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 PM

For those of you who do yoga, how did you get started? Would you recommend joining a class? I saw some flyers the other day for "prenatal yoga", which sounded interesting.

I'm not doing anything all that intensive at the moment... I have indoor skiing lessons once per week (on a kind of inclined treadmill-thingy) and I bicycle back and forth to the grocery store and the train station, but that's about a half an hour per day of activity, max. Guess it's better than nothing, but I could definitely stand to be in better shape.
#17 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan_in_Holland View Post
For those of you who do yoga, how did you get started? Would you recommend joining a class? I saw some flyers the other day for "prenatal yoga", which sounded interesting.

I'm not doing anything all that intensive at the moment... I have indoor skiing lessons once per week (on a kind of inclined treadmill-thingy) and I bicycle back and forth to the grocery store and the train station, but that's about a half an hour per day of activity, max. Guess it's better than nothing, but I could definitely stand to be in better shape.
Megan, I think biking is a good start. As far as yoga, I like to go to the first class and just watch. Alot of times they offer classes specific for prenatal; you don't want the high sweat/high heat class. I've heard nothing but positive things about the benefits of yoga during labor and afterwards.

#18 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm planning on walking and prenatal yoga and getting to a pool to swim. I wanted to swim during my last pregnancy and didn't get it together, which I did regret because the feeling of being in water and getting pressure off sounds like bliss in late pregnancy. I think there are only outdoor pools near me though and it looks like rainy season is setting in so I'm going to have to do some research. I recommend prenatal yoga for anyone who is interested. If there is a course near you it's worth checking out and you may meet some other pregnant mamas as well. I get crazy flexible during pregnancy (and so will you probably, thank you relaxin) so it helps get into all those places that get sore from being too relaxed iykwim. Prenatal yoga also helps with delivery. It can show you great moves for helping the baby move down through your pelvis and helps to strengthen those areas before the big day. Getting to know your pelvic floor is really important and don't forget to do those kegels!
#19 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpincholla View Post
I'm planning on walking and prenatal yoga and getting to a pool to swim. I wanted to swim during my last pregnancy and didn't get it together, which I did regret because the feeling of being in water and getting pressure off sounds like bliss in late pregnancy. I think there are only outdoor pools near me though and it looks like rainy season is setting in so I'm going to have to do some research. I recommend prenatal yoga for anyone who is interested. If there is a course near you it's worth checking out and you may meet some other pregnant mamas as well. I get crazy flexible during pregnancy (and so will you probably, thank you relaxin) so it helps get into all those places that get sore from being too relaxed iykwim. Prenatal yoga also helps with delivery. It can show you great moves for helping the baby move down through your pelvis and helps to strengthen those areas before the big day. Getting to know your pelvic floor is really important and don't forget to do those kegels!
Doing Kegels now is good?

#20 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
Doing Kegels now is good?
Kegels are ALWAYS good. Even when you're not pregnant!

Amy... mom to
#21 of 30 Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

:

You should do kegels every day!!
#22 of 30 Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post
I do them everyday and their great, I just wasn't sure if I should be doing while pregnant. Good info though. Thanks!

#23 of 30 Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 AM

I've been doing a 'Begginers Yoga' DVD since January anyway .... and I don't know if those poses are still ok so I stopped doing my Yoga for now. I'm looking for a prenatal Yoga DVD I can get and start doing that ....

Peacelovinmomma, muscle cramps are usually potassium or calcium deficiencies. If you're already taing a good prenantal vitamin (I got mine from the health food store and its called Baby & Me. My midwife says its the best stuff ....). If you're taking that and still getting cramps then look for a supplement called Bone Up made by a company called Jarrow. Its Calcium and Magnesium. Also, if you're craving a lot of sweet things, its a calcium deficiency. I highly recommend getting some.
#24 of 30 Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunQueen View Post
Peacelovinmomma, muscle cramps are usually potassium or calcium deficiencies. If you're already taing a good prenantal vitamin (I got mine from the health food store and its called Baby & Me. My midwife says its the best stuff ....). If you're taking that and still getting cramps then look for a supplement called Bone Up made by a company called Jarrow. Its Calcium and Magnesium. Also, if you're craving a lot of sweet things, its a calcium deficiency. I highly recommend getting some.
Someone here recommended magnesium for the calf cramps and ever since I started taking it (during a previous pregnancy), I have never had a cramp since! I was already taking a prenatal, calcium and fish oil. So I thought it must be the magnesium that wiped out the cramps? But maybe it's all the extra calcium after all (my magnesium tablets are combined with extra calcium)? Either way, I haven't deviated from my regimen and no cramps yet!
#25 of 30 Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM

I have been doing a pretty intense bootcamp for the last 4-5 months - it has been great - I have lost a lot of weight and gotten muchore toned. I intend to keep it up as long as possible. I don't think there are any modifications required until sometime in the second trimester when you have to worry about backlying for crunches . Of course no intense twists beginning in the middle of the second trimester. Am I forgetting anything? I am not much a worrywart though - I just don't do stuff if it doesn't feel right (like this morning I opted out of an elastic band around my middle while someone else pulled it trying not to "let" me run). I also plan on doing yoga 1-3X per week. I love yoga but can't find the time to do it! The only reason I can always do bootcamp is that it is at 5:30 am and everyone is still sleeping!
#26 of 30 Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Ugh, once I can get the ms under control (HOPEFULLY this will abate by end of 1rst trimester, only a month off for me) I'll start thinking about getting back to exercise in earnest. At least walking or the elliptical machine, hopefully some light weights and yoga too. But right now I'm laying in bed, working from here most of the time, ugh, when I'm not dragging around (used to be running around) after my dd. I really can't wait to feel better and be able to exercise. i think it is so important.
#27 of 30 Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 AM

I am due in 8-08 with #2 and with #1 (6/06) I switched from jogging to walking and it was wonderful...hilarious at 9 months..but I really felt it kept me lively. I also gained about 50 lbs without much of an increase in food so wonder what I would have topped off at without the walking!!

Married to CH (2005) and mother to DS1 (6/2006), DS2 (8/2008) and DS3 Sept 22nd, 2011!   

#28 of 30 Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM

I've been training to run a 10k in April and would really like to continue toward that goal. I'm going to talk with the midwife about it when I meet with her in early January. Until then, I'm going to keep jogging but just not push it too hard.
#29 of 30 Old 12-20-2007, 05:35 PM

I'm going to continue with my regular workouts (I usually hit the gym3-4 times a week, and run/do strength building stuff). With the MS I've been having, I've substituted the elliptical machine for running. I'd like to continue to wokr out as much as possible, as with my first pregnancy I gained SO much, and it was so hard to lose. In the last little while, I'll probably switch to just yoga/elliptical.
My MW said as long as you're not starting anything new/intense, you can just follow your body's cues.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#30 of 30 Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM

I was training for a 10K and was up to about 8K when I found out. I was going to continue running, just shorten the distance. I had even bought a water bottle carrier that I could take with me to ensure adequate hydration, but I started spotting a couple of days later. I decided right there and then that I wasn't going to continue running as my last pregnancy ended in a m/c in October. I *know* that running wouldn't have caused a miscarriage; however, I didn't want to do anything that I would later blame as a possible reason for miscarrying again. Purely psychological.
So, I was going to continue going to the gym but just walk briskly and do light weights......that was until m/s kicked in. Now that thought of doing any exercise makes me feel even more like vomitting, not to mention that I can't muster up the energy.
I am, however, continuing my yoga classes and will be doing my prenatal yoga video at home. I will increase my activity in the 2 trimester when my m/s passes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page