Low Tech Prenatal Care and Birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!

How many of you are having a low tech pregnancy and birth? No ultrasounds, no doppler, etc.

We are going to hire the same midwife that we had for my DS's birth. She was excellent, very hands off, and very respectful of our decisions. This time I want her even more hands off...like not in the room for the birth at all. I want to UC, but I do not want to transfer to the hospital unnecessarily. I do not want to go to the hospital for something that can be done by a trained attendant at home. This seems like a nice compromise for us.
#2 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm planning an unassisted pregnancy and birth so it will be VERY low tech

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

ananas, I know you from your thread in ttc. Did you say you were coming back to the states tomorrow?
#4 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
ananas, I know you from your thread in ttc. Did you say you were coming back to the states tomorrow?
No, I'm just going back to the part of Mexico that I'm staying in (from another part of Mexico). I fly back to the states mid-January

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 13 Old 12-21-2007, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I hope your travels are uneventful tomorrow.
#6 of 13 Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
Hi Mamas!

How many of you are having a low tech pregnancy and birth? No ultrasounds, no doppler, etc.
I'm having a pretty low tech birth. We'll use the doppler, but that's it. No u/s for me, no prenatal testing, none of that GD testing, no VEs.... gotta love being a repeat client of the midwives and being able to say "we're not doing that this time!" and not even having a discussion about it!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#7 of 13 Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we are not doing any of the testing either. In the beginning of my last pregnancy we had a different midwife that tried every trick to get us to consent to tests. It was awful. My midwife, now, is great. She truly believes in informed consent...she actually tells you the validity and reliability of the tests.
#8 of 13 Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 AM

I want a very low tech prental care and birth. No doppler, no u/s, no tests. When I interviewed my mw about 8 mo ago, she was very ok with avoiding testing. When I see her in a couple weeks, I need to revisit those questions and how hands off she will let me be during the birth. My ideal would be for her to stay in the other room until I ask her to be there.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#9 of 13 Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 PM

I want to have a very low-tech, hands-off pregnancy and birth. I want to wait to use the fetascope as opposed to the doppler. However, if I am measuring way ahead, I will have one ultrasound to determine if it is twins again or not.

Blessed mama of four
::
#10 of 13 Old 12-25-2007, 11:50 PM

DH and I were just discussing this yesterday. I told him I had set up my 1st appt. with only the local ob office that has MW(CNM's). And he said, oh , your not using Leslie again? I said yes I am just wanting to make sure that there is indeed a baby and a heartbeat via U/S before I tell the kids. Hmmmmm he said. Last time I saw both a CNM(in case of transfer) and a CPM(for HB of course). I don't desire to do that this time. But those of you that have older children, weren't you concerned to tell them in case......?
Anyway back to the discussion.... He said he wants to go completely low tech this time, unless there is other concern.....measuring larger, bleeding, etc. Gotta love him!!!! I am still torn as to what to do, apt. isn't until end of Jan. so I have time to decide. I also haven't met with my HB MW yet, so talking to her will help. I love the idea.....but don't want to feel worried about telling the kids. KWIM?

Kelli, Mom to DS 9/18/00, DD 10/18/03,and DS 8/16/08. ,,,,
#11 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 12:03 PM

I am hoping for a UC. And VERY few MW trips. I do want one US to see where the place nta is becasue the more babies one has had the more of a chance the placenta will be low lying. I have a page saved on how to rip through it if neccessary but I don't want to have to.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#12 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

i'm also planning a low tech birth. we're planning a UC with midwife shadow care (calling her only if we feel that we need her).
#13 of 13 Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM

We may use the doppler, just because I have a history of m/c and never bled (had a d&c 2 months after I lost the baby) and I'm a tad nervous this go-round. No plans for u/s or anything else though.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page