I just had a very interesting first appointment... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is #3 for me, so I knew what to expect during the exam. What I was not expecting was for my Dr. to put her hands on my belly and for her eyes to grow as big as saucers.

I'm 8 weeks, and measuring 18!!!!!!

My uterus is just about even with my belly button. No wonder I look 5 months pregnant! I was charting, so I am absolutely sure of my dates. So, of course, we head to the ultrasound room, where we see one adorable baby with a strong heartbeat and... a shadow! Now this pesky shadow refused to identify itself as a second baby or yolk sac or something else. It kept coming in and out of the picture. No matter what she did, my dr. just couldn't get a clear picture.

So I have another ultrasound scheduled for Friday, this time at the hospital on better equipment (the one my dr. has in her office isn't that great). Part of me wants it to be twins and part wants it to be a singleton. I'll be happy either way, now that I've seen at least one beating heart. But I seriously don't know how I'm going to make it two more days. I'm going to go nuts!
#2 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Wow! How exciting! You might have twins! I cannot wait to hear the update.
#3 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:43 PM

I am popping over from the July DDC but had to say how exciting! I would be so eager for the next u/s that I wouldn't probably even sleep at night.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#4 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM

I also have an US on Friday. I have a pretty large cyst my mw wants to monitor. So, mine isn't for a fun reason like yours!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#5 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM

how exciting! you must be on pins and needles

do twins run in your family?
#6 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 04:57 PM

Wow! Triplets? :

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#7 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM

How exciting! Please keep us updated!
#8 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM

Wow, how exciting! I bet it is twins!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#9 of 26 Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#10 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 AM

Wow!! I can't wait to see what they find out. I had twins last time and I have to say that measuring 10 weeks ahead at only 8 weeks is huge, even for twins! Maybe it's triplets??

Blessed mama of four
::
#11 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM

WOW! You just gave me chills! I feel like I'm way too big (although this is #2 so I know I'll grow faster) and twins run in my family. Hoping it's you not me

Can't wait to hear about your next u/s!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#12 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Wow!! I can't wait to see what they find out. I had twins last time and I have to say that measuring 10 weeks ahead at only 8 weeks is huge, even for twins! Maybe it's triplets??
Oh please don't say that! I'm still trying to figure out what I would do with two!

Twins don't run in my family, and I don't have any of the other factors that would make multiples more likely (I didn't have fertility treatments, I'm under 35, ect.), so I never expected it, even though I guess its always a possibility.

I did manage to get a little sleep last night, so now I just have to get through the next 24 hours. I'll try to update late morning/early afternoon. We do have some family in from out of town, so I'll have to carve out some time. Either way, as long I see at least one healthy babe, I'll be happy.
#13 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM

Subbing to find out what happens. How exciting for you! :
#14 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Even if it was twins, it would be odd to measure that far ahead....I wonder how many babies are in there!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#15 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 PM

Can't wait to find out what happens!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#16 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 PM

I feel bigger and stronger symptoms too but I think its just because this is my 3rd.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#17 of 26 Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Good luck and keep us posted!
#18 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, here's the update:

I had the ultrasound this morning. The tech said there was just one baby, with a heart rate of 160 beats per minute and was measuring 8 weeks 5 days (which is correct).

Other than that, I can't tell you anything. We weren't even allowed to see the monitor. : Apparently, the hospital radiology dept. has a new policy that prohibits parents from seeing the ultrasound, even the fetal survey most parents have done at 18-20 weeks. You can't see the monitor, you can't get a picture of the baby to take home. Nothing. The tech said it was to "protect" parents in case there is something wrong. Keep in mind, she didn't bother telling us until the end of the ultrasound. I kept asking questions, and she snapped at me that she wasn't done with the exam yet. So I just layed there in silence for the 30 minutes or so it took, wondering if something was wrong.

I am so angry. I feel so cheated. I wanted so much to see my baby. I've had my other two babies at this hospital, and with both of them I have early ultrasound pictures and 18 week ultrasound pictures. With this child, I'll have neither. My morning sickness has been so bad, that I was really looking forward to this as a motivational tool. Seeing that screen would have relieved so much anxiety. For me, part of the fun and excitement of pregnancy is seeing the baby. When I told the tech that, she said that it wasn't supposed to be fun - that it's a medical procedure. I agree with that to an extent, but if you have to have an ultrasound - or any medical procedure for that matter - don't you have the right to know what is happening. Another thing that upset me was at the very end, the tech said she just needed to get an image of my ovaries, but she was hurting me quite a bit, and when I told her, she didn't even seem to care. What should have been happy and exciting turned into one of the coldest, least caring experiences of my life. I really feel like a "victim" of our health care system. I can't even find the words to describe it. :

So basically, I have no idea what is going on. It sounds like we have a healthy baby, but why am I measuring so large? Did the tech also see "the shadow?" Was it the yolk sac? Is there excessive fluid in there? What did she see? What did it look like? Am I okay? I just wish I could have seen for myself. It's so frustrating!

Anyway, my husband and I have decided to write a letter to complain, and I'll be discussing the situation with my doctor. I don't know if she has the power to do anything, but I've been seeing her for the last 8 years and I really like her, so we'll see. We've decided that we'll have the fetal survey done at a different hospital in a nearby town. We had it there with my last son, just because they were doing the 4D ultrasound, and our local hospital wasn't. Maybe I'll have a better experience there.

If you read this far, thank you, and I'm sorry I got so ranty. I'm going to go find some chocolate now.
#19 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsch1 View Post
Okay, here's the update:

I had the ultrasound this morning. The tech said there was just one baby, with a heart rate of 160 beats per minute and was measuring 8 weeks 5 days (which is correct).

Other than that, I can't tell you anything. We weren't even allowed to see the monitor. : Apparently, the hospital radiology dept. has a new policy that prohibits parents from seeing the ultrasound, even the fetal survey most parents have done at 18-20 weeks. You can't see the monitor, you can't get a picture of the baby to take home. Nothing. The tech said it was to "protect" parents in case there is something wrong. Keep in mind, she didn't bother telling us until the end of the ultrasound. I kept asking questions, and she snapped at me that she wasn't done with the exam yet. So I just layed there in silence for the 30 minutes or so it took, wondering if something was wrong.

I am so angry. I feel so cheated. I wanted so much to see my baby. I've had my other two babies at this hospital, and with both of them I have early ultrasound pictures and 18 week ultrasound pictures. With this child, I'll have neither. My morning sickness has been so bad, that I was really looking forward to this as a motivational tool. Seeing that screen would have relieved so much anxiety. For me, part of the fun and excitement of pregnancy is seeing the baby. When I told the tech that, she said that it wasn't supposed to be fun - that it's a medical procedure. I agree with that to an extent, but if you have to have an ultrasound - or any medical procedure for that matter - don't you have the right to know what is happening. Another thing that upset me was at the very end, the tech said she just needed to get an image of my ovaries, but she was hurting me quite a bit, and when I told her, she didn't even seem to care. What should have been happy and exciting turned into one of the coldest, least caring experiences of my life. I really feel like a "victim" of our health care system. I can't even find the words to describe it. :

So basically, I have no idea what is going on. It sounds like we have a healthy baby, but why am I measuring so large? Did the tech also see "the shadow?" Was it the yolk sac? Is there excessive fluid in there? What did she see? What did it look like? Am I okay? I just wish I could have seen for myself. It's so frustrating!

Anyway, my husband and I have decided to write a letter to complain, and I'll be discussing the situation with my doctor. I don't know if she has the power to do anything, but I've been seeing her for the last 8 years and I really like her, so we'll see. We've decided that we'll have the fetal survey done at a different hospital in a nearby town. We had it there with my last son, just because they were doing the 4D ultrasound, and our local hospital wasn't. Maybe I'll have a better experience there.

If you read this far, thank you, and I'm sorry I got so ranty. I'm going to go find some chocolate now.
Not in your DDC, but I have to say this is bullsh*t! What kind of policy is this?

I am sorry the tech was so rude and the policy is so stupid.

My perinatologist has a huge flat screen tv so Mom and family/friends can see the baby during ultrasounds (3D). So I just don't understand this.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#20 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Also not in your DDC, but that is just crummy. I'm sorry that the tech was so disrespectful to you! I'm glad you are writing a letter. I hope your Dr can tell you more about the findings.
#21 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
hyz

That just seems wrong! They're YOUR medical records/results, and I can't see how they could possibly have ANY right to withhold them from you. I'm going to ask some docs I know about this--that just seems illegal, not to mention unethical. I think you're very right to write a letter of complaint to your doc. And now you still don't know why you were measuring so big the first time! Just terrible. I'm mad FOR you!!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#22 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a call into my doc now - I'm just waiting to hear back.

I know the tech printed out pics for the doc. I'm hoping that after she's done with them, she'll let me at least see them, and hopefully keep them if she doesn't need to save them in my chart. That will be something at least.

I keep reminding myself that the important thing is that there was a baby with a healthy heartbeat who is measuring perfectly. It has become my mantra. (Now that I think about it, the tech said "there is one heartbeat" not "there is one baby," so now I'll obsess on that while I wait for my doc to call. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!)
#23 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM

sorry it didn't go better. I hope your doc calls you back soon!

I'm amazed that they wouldn't even let you see the screen. I know in the past when I have had ultrasounds on organs the tech has not been able to tell me anything because they aren't drs, but they always let me see.
#24 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Wow, I am so sorry. This sounds awful. I am often astounded by the medical society, but this is shocking! Hopefully the dr will make a copy of the pictures for you, but I cannot understand why they would not let you look at the screen. It is your body, your baby, and your decision. :
#25 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 PM

I'm sorry she was so rude. I agree with you going elsewhere for your "big" u/s. I can't imagine having to sit through that all over again.

SAHM to 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 3.

#26 of 26 Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 PM

I think the reason might be because a tech can't diagnose anything, only a MD, or a midlevel practitioner. Reading your ultrasound and answering any questions that may come up can be considered giving a diagnosis. If the tech gives a wrong answer then all hell breaks loose. The hospital may be choosing to enforce this policy so the tech can't show you anything. Why can't you see the screen? Maybe to avoid potential questions "What's that?" "Is that my baby?" ect.

For example: I had a 17 year old who was hit by a car and broke his leg. He kept complaining of shoulder pain so two days into his admit an x-ray was done. I looked it up on the computer at work and it was a clean, very obvious break. Neither the radiologist or the attending had read the x-ray to diagnose him with a broken clavicle. I could not tell the mom anything without risking my job and my license, I can't give a medical diagnosis because I'd be "practicing medicine without a license" I practice nursing, not medicine. The only thing I could tell her was that the x-ray was up and waiting for interpretation.

I'm allowed to see my ultrasound at the hospital because the man was with me when I went. He's a mid-level in the ED so the techs know him, he has privileges in the hospital, he can diagnose and he's well trained to read an US.

ETA: I'm not defending the tech or the hospital policy I'm just giving a possible explanation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page