drinking during pregnancy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of course there are no hard feelings!
I just felt that what I'd say had been misinterpreted and wanted to clarify. To put a fine point on it, it was on two occasions during the first tri. By lifelong effects/not being to live independently, I meant that she is unable to judge good/bad choices. She can write, read, talk, etc., but she is a terrible judge of character and situations-very vulnerable, and very typical of FAS/FAE.
I don't have the info at hand (when I worked with this group I was in teacher's college; all the material is somewhere in storage), but the bottom line was that they (whoever "they" are, ha ha), couldn't conclusively say there was a "safe" amount during pregnancy. It's one of those things they're figuring out more about all the time. Not all sufferers of FAS/FAE have the characterisitic eye/lip disfigurements, so it can be harder to diagnose.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/fasd-etcaf/faq_e.html#1

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM

I drink a small amount. I don't drink a lot anyway.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#33 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM

In theory I don't have a problem with a glass of wine or beer every now and again. In practice the idea (and I normally love the taste of beer) makes me dry heave so no drinking for me.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#34 of 36 Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 AM

Definitely no drinking here, for many reasons.

- DP is a recovering alcoholic so I wouldn't feel good drinking when she isn't
- Went through an awful lot to get pg, so not into taking any risks
- Don't particularly like drinking anyway

There's a campaign by the health dept here which declares that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption during ttc or pregnancy.
#35 of 36 Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Fridgeart - I've been a foster parent for years and went thru many hours of training for FAS/FAE because we had many children that came into our lives that were FAS/FAE. And I can say that I know what you're talking about, and understand what you're saying. In one of the trainings I went to they did say that one drink can cause FAE if at the msot perfect time, other trainings said it took many drinks, others said they didnt know how much but figured none was safe... I dont think there is a perfect answer to it - I dont think anyone knows what that "exact amount is".

I personally would never take that chance. The way I look at it - 9 months of pregnancy and 2 to 3 yrs of nursing is nothing to not drink, etc out of the grand scheme of my entire life. They only get one first chance, so why not make it the best I can?

Do I care what other ppl do when they are pregnant - nope, its their body and their baby... So to each their own.
#36 of 36 Old 01-01-2008, 01:58 PM

I think that half a glass of natural wine or natural beer is okay. I don't really like most alcohols so I stay away anyway.

The more artificial the alcohol the worse it is for you and baby, IMO.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page