drinking during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok i dont drink ever agaist my religion

but iam sure most of u know about about baby center forums well i visit their every once in awhile i really need to stop but anyways on the aug 08 forum they were asking about drinking alcohol during pregnany who does it and what do u think about it

i personally dont think it is a good idea ever cause u just know the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome and u dont know how much alcohol would be too much

but i wanted to ask all my hard core ladies what do u think about it is drinking while pregnant is it safe? would or are you doing it? or just heck noo too risky for me

thank u

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Small amounts later in the pregnancy are fine. Every doctor I have ever seen has told me that a glass of wine here and there is nothing to worry about -- and that there are real benefits (heart benefits, relaxation, soothing premature uterine activity, etc.). So I am fine with a bit of red wine here and there after the first trimester.

Like all issues -- birthing choices, medications, diet, ultrasounds, testing, etc., each woman should do her own research and make decisions that enable her to stay in her own comfort zone. And, barring extreme circumstances, people should respect that woman's ability to make informed decisions, IMO.
#3 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM

:

All of the research I have done has said that a glass of wine per 24 hours is acceptable. There are plenty of cultures that do this. I personally do not enjoy alcohol, so I do not drink while I am pregnant.
#4 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM

I don't really like alcohol except vodka and Baileys (not together, but those are the only two kinds I like), so I will be abstaining during pregnancy since those really aren't particularly "beneficial" like wine is -- and I hate wine anyway. I went about 33 years of my life without drinking really (I HAD to find something I liked when my son was three... he drove me CRAZY! ), so I can go 9 months no problem!

Everything I have heard or read is that very small amounts are okay.
#5 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 09:55 PM

I don't drink during the first trimester, but I'll have a glass of wine every now and then after that.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#6 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM

I've had a sip of wine here and there, and I'm still in my first trimester. Later in my pregnancy, I might have a glass of wine here and there. Nothing over the top, but it's nice to have a glass of wine every once in awhile. I have no problem with a drink later. It won't lead to fetal alcohol syndrome, and it won't hurt my baby, I am confident.
#7 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 PM

I don't feel that a couple of glasses of wine later on are bad, but basically I try to abstain. (same for caffeine)
#8 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM

Another thought I had on this topic:

I used to read a mainstream board and it was interesting to me how the general tone there was that even one small sip of alcohol during pregnancy was considered horrible and to be avoided at all costs. People there would post things like "women who drink at ALL during pregnancy shouldn't even have kids" and other ignorant and judgmental drivel.

This attitude was prevalant among many women who elected not to breastfeed (didn't have problems, just didn't want to), who let their babies CIO from early on, who vehemently defended circ and who believed in hitting and hot-saucing children as "discipline."

It always struck me as odd that they would be so militant about the alcohol-during-pregnancy issue but make decisions contrary to their babies' health and safety after birth. I've encountered women on MDC who do drink in moderation during pregnancy and some who don't, but I never encountered the same judgmental/militant tone as on that mainstream board. I always kind of wondered why this was.... Anyway, sorry to ramble.
#9 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovingmama View Post
It always struck me as odd that they would be so militant about the alcohol-during-pregnancy issue but make decisions contrary to their babies' health and safety after birth. I've encountered women on MDC who do drink in moderation during pregnancy and some who don't, but I never encountered the same judgmental/militant tone as on that mainstream board. I always kind of wondered why this was.... Anyway, sorry to ramble.
I really think this is related to the research about birth and pregnancy that people do on MDC. It seems mainstream parents/mothers do what their ob's say without question (and one of those rules is to avoid alcohol). MDC mothers do more research (and are multi-cultural), so the truth about the prenatal care and birth come out. This is a huge generalization, but I think in general this is basically true.
#10 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
I really think this is related to the research about birth and pregnancy that people do on MDC. It seems mainstream parents/mothers do what their ob's say without question (and one of those rules is to avoid alcohol). MDC mothers do more research (and our multi-cultural), so the truth about the prenatal care and birth come out. This is a huge generalization, but I think in general this is basically true.
That is a great explanation Blissfully! It kind of goes along with a general attitude that whatever a doctor says is the gospel truth, even when it goes against the bulk of research. I've seen people post things too like "my pediatrician said I HAD to do CIO/supplement/spank/etc." I respect women's choices around alcohol/medication/foods/etc. during pregnancy for sure, but it sure is refreshing when women educate themselves first, as MDC mamas seem to do! I have always had this feeling that the American medical attitude of zero-alcohol during pregnancy was patronizing to women because it assumes that women would not be able to or choose to stop after just one drink, which has not been shown to be harmful.
#11 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Since we're all so non judgmental here - it seems that the only time I can definitely get a BFP is if I have a Corona or 2. I hadn't had a drop of alcohol in over a year, and at my work party on the 12th I had 2 Coronas. I suspected I *may* be pregnant, but I know that 2 isn't so bad... but of course when I tested on the 18th I felt so horribly guilty. So no, I don't drink while I'm pg, but I've studied/obsessed enough to know that it's not the end of the world with the occasional glass of wine or even a beer. There was a post before about using marijuana as being beneficial for hyperemesis(sp?), and typically our medicine sees that as a no-no, but other cultures have done this and have babies turn out just fine. So I think that we can learn much from other cultures when it comes to childbirth, and health treatment in general. Whew, off my soapbox now - thanks for listening

Blissfully That was a very well written post mama, hats off to you

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#12 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Intellectually speaking, I don't have a problem with the idea of a glass of wine every once in a while during pregnancy, but I'm abstaining anyway. I recognize that others can justafiably come to other conclusions, but I personally just don't feel comfortable drinking, so I don't.

When we visit the inlaws, I normally always have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. My MIL and her husband were really curious what I was going to do now that I'm pregnant-- apparently they were betting that since I'm American, I'd be all paranoid and refuse the wine. Guess I confirmed all their stereotypes over Christmas dinner! They were pretty amused when I said I planned on abstaining throughout my pregnancy, and think I'm being overly cautious. But I got off with some gentle teasing, after which MIL made me a big pot of tea, so everything was fine.
#13 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That is a great explanation Blissfully! It kind of goes along with a general attitude that whatever a doctor says is the gospel truth, even when it goes against the bulk of research. I've seen people post things too like "my pediatrician said I HAD to do CIO/supplement/spank/etc." I respect women's choices around alcohol/medication/foods/etc. during pregnancy for sure, but it sure is refreshing when women educate themselves first, as MDC mamas seem to do! I have always had this feeling that the American medical attitude of zero-alcohol during pregnancy was patronizing to women because it assumes that women would not be able to or choose to stop after just one drink, which has not been shown to be harmful.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
Blissfully That was a very well written post mama, hats off to you
Thanks!

No more guilty feelings about your corona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan_in_Holland View Post
When we visit the inlaws, I normally always have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. My MIL and her husband were really curious what I was going to do now that I'm pregnant-- apparently they were betting that since I'm American, I'd be all paranoid and refuse the wine. Guess I confirmed all their stereotypes over Christmas dinner! They were pretty amused when I said I planned on abstaining throughout my pregnancy, and think I'm being overly cautious. But I got off with some gentle teasing, after which MIL made me a big pot of tea, so everything was fine.
#14 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 AM

When I got pregnant with DS, my husband and I had started our planned 1 year road trip around the US. We didn't know I was pregnant, since we weren't fully TTC, just not preventing. We were visiting all sorts of friends and family, having drinks with dinner (and maybe more). We then went to the Bahamas and there was rum and beer.......

Well, when I found out I was pregnant I felt really guilty at first. I should have been more careful. But then I realized that I couldn't beat myself up over what we had been doing. And after that, I was more careful, but not so judgemental. I have sips of wine here and there, and on occasion, maybe even a glass. DS turned out just fine.

This whole conversation seems to get at the heart of an American issue I find everywhere. It's called MODERATION. For some reason we as a culture decide that: Carbs are bad, therefore just eat protein. Alcohol is bad, therefore avoid it all. Cholesterol is bad, therefore don't eat eggs. Whatever it is, we're so fear and extreme based that we assume that most people can't handle moderation.

Anyway. Moderation is a common vent that I have.

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#15 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
Moderation is a common vent that I have.
I feel you! All the mommas at my synagogue freak out when I talk about having my 3oz of Shabbos wine every Friday night. I mean, come on! THAT is NOT going to cause FAS. I also get yelled at for having one tuna sandwitch a month, and don't even get me STARTED on sushi. What do Americans think Japanese women eat during pregnancy??

My mother also FREAKED when she heard that we were drinking raw milk instead of p/h milk. Don't I know that there's BACTERIA in there??

Yeah, I get you.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#16 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I hope to goodness a bit of alcohol's fine because back when I thought I hadn't ovulated at all this cycle () I had a glass of white wine.
#17 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I feel you! All the mommas at my synagogue freak out when I talk about having my 3oz of Shabbos wine every Friday night. I mean, come on! THAT is NOT going to cause FAS. I also get yelled at for having one tuna sandwitch a month, and don't even get me STARTED on sushi. What do Americans think Japanese women eat during pregnancy??
Broiled fish (being sure to eat the bones as well for calcium) and nutrient rich soup with seaweed and fermented tofu like they have every morning? Mind you, if you're sure of your sushi chef, there's no real reason not to eat it, even the sashimi.
#18 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

i don't drink because i don't like the taste, and otherwise i really don't think about it.

i know that excessive consumption can cause birth defects, but what is excessive and when is really debateable and individual.

i mean, i had a friend who drank and used drugs daily (and i mean, heavy drugs and heavy drinking) throughout the first 7 months of her pregnancy (she "didn't realize" she was pregnant until she was 7 mo--i say "yeah right" but hey, i'm not in her head). baby was born perfectly normal in everyway.

and counter to that, i know moms who do everything perfect and end up with severely disabled children.

a certain aspect of this is just letting go of the need/desire to control and know that whatever is going to happen is going to happen one way or another. we can offer and do our best, but it's no guarentee.

so a person has to do her own research, look to her own information, and look to herself to see what she can live with, what she can't, what she feels she needs and what she doesn't.
#19 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Mind you, if you're sure of your sushi chef, there's no real reason not to eat it, even the sashimi.
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. I always go to a reputable sushi place (I'd NEVER buy it off the grocery counter), so I feel perfectly safe eating sushi during pregnancy. To be honest, I wouldn't eat something when I wasn't pregnant that I wouldn't feel is safe during pregnancy (except tuna, I guess - it's a serious weakness ).

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#20 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 PM

I know I am going to drink wine later on. I had mW I had years ago reccommended it for really bad BH and for the anxiety I was having close to labor. Two glasses of a nice melot and I felt great. Use not abuse. ( I can also see me enjoying a Corona on July 4th )

Oh and I have been SLAMMED on other boards for my opinion.....

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#21 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapellucida View Post
I know I am going to drink wine later on. I had mW I had years ago reccommended it for really bad BH and for the anxiety I was having close to labor. Two glasses of a nice melot and I felt great. Use not abuse. ( I can also see me enjoying a Corona on July 4th )

Oh and I have been SLAMMED on other boards for my opinion.....
As our pregnancies progress and we grow anxious about our upcoming labors, I'll sit down and enjoy a fine merlot with you through cyberspace Zona!
#22 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM

I doubt I'll drink anything at all during my pregnancy, but I do shun people who do. To each her own...

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#23 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM

It's one of those things that's changed very quickly within a couple of generations-I know my mom drank/smoked through pregnancy, and certainly wasn't alone!
It looks like I'm in the minority here who think it's not the greatest idea. For me, it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I've worked with kids with FAS. One of the moms involved in the program drank twice during her pregnancy-both times during the first tri, and both times just a couple of glasses of wine-and her kid has lifelong effects and will never be able to live independently. Yikes. (I'm not trying to be alarmist, it obviously affected me though). For me, this is the time I have to put the "best" into my child, nutritionally speaking, and goes along with several other choices I've made while I'm pregnant/nursing. I think it's a little different later in pregnancy-when everything is formed and the baby is just cooking. I had a little champagne the week before E was due, and at my MW's request, drank some wine in the bath the night before I went into labour to relax and get some sleep.
In my pre-child life, I definitely liked to drink regularly. I lost the palate for it with my last pregnancy, so it's not really that big a deal for me to give up, I guess!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#24 of 36 Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 PM

I had sushi for dinner last night I did skip the sake though. the smell of alcohol turns my stomach these days. I don't see any problem with a glass of wine or a beer every once in a while if that's what you want and are comfortable with. I'm not comfortable drinking alcohol in quantity, I realize a glass of wine here and there is very unlikely to cause ill effects, it's just outside my own personal comfort zone. We're going out to a nice french restaurant for our annivesary at the end of January, and I might have a sip of DH's wine and not feel guilty about it.
#25 of 36 Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
I've worked with kids with FAS. One of the moms involved in the program drank twice during her pregnancy-both times during the first tri, and both times just a couple of glasses of wine-and her kid has lifelong effects and will never be able to live independently.

Not sure that mom you are talking about was being very honest

I had a few sips of dark, bitter, syrupy beer at the end of my pregnancy and it was DIVINE. Porters and stouts really can be quite enjoyable I never had more than a small glass, and not more than a couple times. Mostly just because my palate and tummy didn't appreciate it.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#26 of 36 Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
Not sure that mom you are talking about was being very honest

I have to admit that this was my reaction too. There have been many studies and none have linked such minimal drinking as 2 drinks during an entire pregnancy to FAS. One recent study, conducted in England by The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists included 400,000 American women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week.

Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of her comfort zone or suggest that women who do not feel comfortable drinking during pregnancy should do so. I just hate for women to feel panicked by anecdotal accounts unsupported by the research (not suggesting that the poster was misleading us but I would imagine that the woman whose child was severely disabled had more than 2 drinks during her entire pregnancy). My doctor told me one glass of wine each day was just fine.
#27 of 36 Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I have to admit that this was my reaction too. There have been many studies and none have linked such minimal drinking as 2 drinks during an entire pregnancy to FAS. One recent study, conducted in England by The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists included 400,000 American women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week.

Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone out of her comfort zone or suggest that women who do not feel comfortable drinking during pregnancy should do so. I just hate for women to feel panicked by anecdotal accounts unsupported by the research (not suggesting that the poster was misleading us but I would imagine that the woman whose child was severely disabled had more than 2 drinks during her entire pregnancy). My doctor told me one glass of wine each day was just fine.
:
#28 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Not quite what I said-didn't say "severely disabled"-I said "lifelong effects" (minor, but obvious; there's a whole spectrum of FAS/FAE). And it wasn't an isolated incident she drank-it was a couple of incidents, and during the more high risk first tri. Did I submit her to a lie detector test? No, but I did work with her extensively, and have no reason to doubt her. I don't think my post was alarmist, I was answering the OP's Q about drinking during pregnancy/our comfort zone

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#29 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think my post was alarmist, I was answering the OP's Q about drinking during pregnancy/our comfort zone
hi fridgeart,
i didn't think your comment was alarmist. i have recently been pondering this in regards to two of my close friends. my girlfriend has an 18 month old, who is currently functioning at an 8/9 month level. previous to her pregnancy she was a big wine drinker, but i never knewif she had a problem. i always wondered though. her daughter is gorgeous, but lately i've noticed that she does have the features of FAE - (very thin upper lip, and spacing between eyes and bridge of nose,) and now i'm wondering if there is more to her daughter's story. i know that overall she did everything to be healthy to her body, but i wonder if she slipped up enough to cause lasting effects. my other friend drank mildly throughout her pregnancy and her son also has minor learning disabilities. again i wonder.
luckily alcholol and me don't go well together, so personally i wont be drinking, but if i did enjoy drinking, i think i would just wait till after baby comes, or perhaps only little bits in the last trimester.
#30 of 36 Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Not quite what I said-didn't say "severely disabled"-I said "lifelong effects" (minor, but obvious; there's a whole spectrum of FAS/FAE).
It was your statement that he "will never be able to live independently" that says pretty severe disability to me. I guess I just find it hard to believe that 2 glasses of wine would produce that result, given that no studies support such a connection. And also, so many midwives and doctors recommend an occasional glass of wine for relaxation -- it is hard to fathom that they would do that if such minimal consumption really would result in a child who could never live independently.

Either way, we clearly have different comfort levels and that is ok. I'm glad we are all comfortable sharing our viewpoints on this issue. I hope there are no hard feelings and we can all support one another during our pregnancies, no matter which choices we make in this area.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page