Food Cravings and Food Aversions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, where are you at?

I am having serious food aversions right now. Almost everything is BLECH. If something is actually OK, by the time I'm done eating it it has moved to the NEVER TOUCH AGAIN list. It was the same way with DS; I never had real cravings, just aversions, not even after the morning sickness was gone. So many things are on the Do Not Get In My Belly list and so precious few are on the Tolerate list. Probably top aversion is chicken right now. I'm sure vomiting will commence in the near future. I only hope it ends around 13 weeks like last time.

If you have cravings, what are they? If you have aversions, let's hear em!

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#2 of 29 Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM

No aversions yet, but I am craving anything and everything SALTY!!!
#3 of 29 Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 PM

I feel like I am in a weird middle stage. I do not have total aversions, but nothing sounds good. I do not have cravings, but some things sound tolerable. I did not have strong aversions with DS until 6-7 weeks, and I assume it will be similar this time.
#4 of 29 Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Cravings: chocolate doughnuts, "football game nachos," cheese enchiladas - I long for spice and sugar.

Aversions: salty soupy stuff, meat, all salad dressings, mushrooms
#5 of 29 Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
I feel like I am in a weird middle stage. I do not have total aversions, but nothing sounds good. I do not have cravings, but some things sound tolerable.
Same here. I make something, take a bite and think "That's not it. Let's try this..." over and over.
#6 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 AM

I don't have any aversions yet, though the french fries I had tonight did not taste as good as they do normally (I had a strong aversion to potatoes in the first tri with my son).

Couple things I LOVE though, as of this week...

Cream of Wheat with a big pat of butter added, along with a couple teaspoons of brown sugar. I could eat this all day.

Plain bagels, toasted, with butter and strawberry jelly and (sounds gross, but I NEEDED IT and it is sooo good) a quick shake of salt.
:
#7 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 11:27 AM

No cravings or aversions yet. I'm a pretty picky eater generally. Our joke was that the way we'd find out I was pregnant by me suddenly going "y'know, I'd love a banana."
#8 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 AM

right now everything is an aversion. I am choking food down and breathing through it so I don't throw it back up. blech.
#9 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm having both aversions and hardly anything sounds good. Something will sound appealling till I actually have it in my hands then yuck!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmill2 View Post
right now everything is an aversion. I am choking food down and breathing through it so I don't throw it back up. blech.
ME too!! Right now nothing is good. My major aversion is animal products, especially if I can see the carcus. EWWWWW. It happened last preg also, I went total veggie for months, could not eat anything that came from an animal, milk, cheese, eggs, meat, nothing. Then it just went away overnight. That is totally strange for me since I LOVE animal. : But just the thought of the animal being dead on my table is too much. Even the smell makes me want to hurl! Kind of puts a damper on evening meals and shopping for the family since my family loves animal. :

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#11 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 PM

I don't have any real aversions or cravings that I've noticed. I haven't really had too much nausea though either. I guess we'll see though.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#12 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM

I'm nauseous off and on but when I'm hungry (which is fairly often), I want protein-rich foods like steak, beans, nuts, peanut butter, etc. I had Indian the other day and it was amazing. Veggies are quickly losing their appeal but some fruits still sound good.
#13 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM

If Peacelovingmama and BakerALM lived near each other, you two should cook dinner together. BakerALM'll make the veggie dishes, and Peacelovingmama'll cook the animal stuff
#14 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If Peacelovingmama and BakerALM lived near each other, you two should cook dinner together. BakerALM'll make the veggie dishes, and Peacelovingmama'll cook the animal stuff
#15 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
CUTE I just love that smiley)

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#16 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 PM

I can't decide much what I really want- just depends, but I knew I was really preggo when coffee made me ill. Normally I am a 2 cup or so a day person of good dark brew, but it makes me want to gak!
#17 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM

Yesterday I had a difficult day of eating. I was hungry, but I did not want anything. At 9 at night all of the sudden I told DH I really, really would like ham. I nice spiral ham. I usually hate pork. We might have to buy a spiral ham today, but by the time I have it in front of me I will probably detest it.
#18 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 AM

I cant find anything I want to eat. And if i think I have found something I want, it goes away.
I was just grabbing all this food that looked SO GOOD at the market the other day, by the time I made it to the front and they were ringing it up, the thought of eating any of it was making me gag.
Ugh.
#19 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

For some reason I have an aversion to meat when I am pregnant. I remember when I was pregnant with my son, my mom was at my house cooking ground beef. I had to go in the bedroom, shut the door and then stuff a towel under it so that I wouldn't have to smell it cooking. Even thinking of that is making me even more nauseated as I type.

For a while I craved raw vegetables and anything bitter or sour. That has passed. Now I'm just icky constantly.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#20 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

i've had both. adversions to sweets, cravings for healthy foods.

but i have to eat slowly.
#21 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM

sigh. food is not looking so good today. and i LOVE food, usually!
up until yesterday, i was doing the very typical pregnant woman thing, and craving pickles. i thought that was funny.
but the way i just knew i was pregnant this time, was when i kept going to the coffee maker with all good intentions of having a nice cup, and as i'd walk to the coffee maker i just wouldn't quite make it before i'd think/feel nahhhhhhh don't want any today. and my friends can tell you, this is my one andonly true addiction!!
i also ate for days - after conception - peanut butter on bread dipped in maple syrup. i had it for breakfast, lunch and late night snack!!
no wonder i've already got a tire around my waist!! heh, heh
#22 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 02:18 PM

I have a strong aversion to caffeine, which I usually love. Anything with too much flavor is a turn off, again, opposite of normal for me. But I'll randomly have a day where I feel fine and can eat normally. Ever heard of that?
#23 of 29 Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 AM

I crave grape soda and hate anything fried or the smell of anything frying.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#24 of 29 Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 PM

peach juice - and not the healthy all fruit kind!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#25 of 29 Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM

With my first pg, I knew I was pg because I was a vegan for over a decade and suddenly went to Black Angus (which I had never been in before) and ate an entire slab of prime rib. With my second pg, I was sick, sick, sick the entire time, and only ate whatever I knew wouldn't hurt, burn or taste really, really horrible coming back up.

This pg, my nose just turned on last week, so the holidays were interesting. We were with dh's family, who don't eat healthy. I had to smell, and try not to gag, all sorts of processed foods cooking like ham and canned vegetables, etc. Oh, and beer smell. We didn't tell them we're pg, but fortunately there were enough people there, I doubt anyone noticed : Now, we're home and NOTHING sounds good. I need some protein so I can stop feeling nauseous, but I can't seem to get near anything today. Dh has gone to the store to "buy one of everything" to get me to eat. Ugh!

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
#26 of 29 Old 12-31-2007, 07:13 PM

When I was pregnant w/ DD I had no cravings, adversions, morning sickness, tiredness etc...it was like I wasn't even pregnant...except when the baby moved, lol! I ate anything I wanted (everything sounded good) but just had to make sure it was high in protein and I ate every 1.5-2hrs all day.

Fast forward to this pregnancy....ummmmm....now I completely understand what nausea is, nothing sounds good, queasy, tired mid-day, cravings, just blah feeling. So any food item often doesn't sound good but I force myself to eat anyways. Hunger creeps up on me too and then I just feel yucky if I don't eat.

I'm craving juiced carrots with apples & ginger, yum! Sometimes saltines when I feel nausea but I don't give in to that yet.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#27 of 29 Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 PM

If I don't let myself get too hungry I can eat almost normally. But on an empty stomach, the smell of some things is really revolting. Sprouts and other veggies esp. I've only been able to choke down a few prenatal vitamins thus far.

Tons of cravings...salt and vinegar chips, mac and cheese, alcoholic beverages, Asian food, anything w/ tomato sauce, guacamole and chips, tzaziki, gummy bears (usually I detest them--they're actually anti-oxidant kids vitamins). LOL. I just realized I'm craving Italian food, Asian food, Greek food, and Mexican food plus alcohol.
#28 of 29 Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Absolutely NOTHING sounds good. If I eat something, it tastes gross. But I make myself eat, or I feel even worse. I'm liking salty rich food. Chocolate, which is my usual favorite food, isn't something I've wanted.

I also hate having to consider how everything 'might' taste coming back up.
#29 of 29 Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM

The only things that sound/taste good to me right now are highly refined, fatty, possibly fried, and sweet... :

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page