12/31 Spotlight - Baker ALM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to our first spotlight mama, Baker ALM! So ask your questions.... I'll be back in a bit to ask some but I have to get Hen down for a nap!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#2 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM

morning galls! Just wanted to let everyone know that I am super excited. I will be at Ikea most of the day today(its a 3hrs drive roundtrip) and will check in to answer Questions as soon as I return.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#3 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM

How long did you TTC for this babe?
#4 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Ooo, I love Ikea. What are you getting there?

Amy, you can edit a title by going to edit and going to advanced.
#5 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 11:23 AM

1. Favorite color to wear. Reason?

2. The one thing you consider most unique about yourself (as compared to your closest 10 friends).

3. How do you feel about having a big bump? (As in sexy, fat, cool, in-the-way, worthy of praise .)
#6 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Now that you're pregnant, what is your biggest concern in regards to lifestyle changes?

Do you have any other children? If so, have you told me about the new addition?

What are your hobbies?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#7 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Do you have plans for tonight?
#8 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Do you have a gender feeling with this baby?

What's the first thing you plan to tell baby when you meet them?

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#9 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 PM

Are you going to find out the gender of the baby before the birth?

Do you have any names picked out that you'd like to share?

What is your strongest food craving right now?
#10 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM

How old will you be when this baby is 18?
#11 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM

How many children do you plan on having?

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#12 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Your dd is 10 days older than mine! How do you think she will react to having a new baby in the house?

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#13 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Aside from being a wonderful mama to your kidlets, what're your areas of interest?
#14 of 33 Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM

Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?

Do you work outside the home?
#15 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
How long did you TTC for this babe?
Well I was still BFing (sort of, actually EPumping) so AF did not return until 16mths pp. I started charting after my first AF, well not really all that well since I was still learning. I don't think I actually Oed until 2 cycles later, about 19mths PP since my cycles were about 36days long. I missed the next Egg and caught the one after, but MCed after a horrible cold at only 5wks. THEN caught this babe the very next Egg. I could not have done that without charting, it really helped find my next O after the MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
Ooo, I love Ikea. What are you getting there?
Today was AWESOME!! We spent WAY too much especially on furniture for Lola's playroom. We just moved and she now has her very own playroom but it is totally disorganized. We splurged on a little table/chairs, shelving with tons of bins that fit in like draws ( we have over 18bins, I am totally loving it!), an easel, small stools, pop up tent and a few more fun items for our kitchen and office. A bit more than we anticipated, but we did have house warming gift $$ and grandma offered to pay for a bit so it was not all that bad. Tomorrow should be fun setting it all up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
1. Favorite color to wear. Reason?

2. The one thing you consider most unique about yourself (as compared to your closest 10 friends).

3. How do you feel about having a big bump? (As in sexy, fat, cool, in-the-way, worthy of praise .)
1. Ahh thats tough, I go though phases, I have done the beige phase in HS, I think I was trying to blend in and almost disappear. I currently reach for blue, I don't know why really it does not go very well with my skin tone since I am a bit olive colored but it just calls to me. (I think this is my blue phase, trying to bring the calm into my life with all the way things have been upside down for so long. )

2. WOW that is a hard question. I am going though so many changes RIGHT now that I feel lost from myself. I think I am closer than ever before to actually being ME, the ME that I really am, not someone my subconscious thought I should be, or I was programed to be by my family & upbringing. So I guess to answer the question I would say as compared to my current closest friends what makes my unique is my technical interest & background OR simply that I am a woman/Mama. My friends are either single, male and working engineers OR married, woman, with kids, SAHM that have no technical interest or background. (I was an Electrical & Computer Engineer in a former life) Its like I have a dual personality, get to use both sides of my brain depending upon who I am hanging around with. Either I am talking Robotics with the guys or chatting babes with the galls. It is actually really nice!

3. LOVE the bump, until the last few weeks when I feel like a BOAT. I was basically ALL bump the last time right until the end. I gained about 7lbs or more in the last mth, my will power was GONE and the :fridge was calling. I like to show it off with some tighter clothing, it just looks sooo cute. I also can't help but rub it all the time once it becomes noticeable.

WELL, it is New Years Eve and I need to get some sleep:yawning:. My hubbie and I are going to watch a movie and then pass out. I'll dig myself out of backlog tomorrow, promise

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#16 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Do you have plans for tonight?
Thought I should answer this before tonight was over, we are going to watch Murderball in bed on the laptop. My babe just fell asleep(really LATE) since she napped in the car on the way home from IKEA so it threw off her bedtime. I would have loved to start the movie earlier than 10:15pm since I am soooo sleepy lately.
NIGHT NIGHT!

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!
(well I imagine not many of us are actually having the champagne this year but I put it in for historic sake.)

#17 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 AM

What have you learned about yourself as a mama that you never imagined?

Is there anything you plan to do differently with this babe as opposed to Lola (I know your BFing story so you don't need to answer that unless you want to)?

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#18 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
1. Now that you're pregnant, what is your biggest concern in regards to lifestyle changes?

2. Do you have any other children? If so, have you told me about the new addition?

3. What are your hobbies?
1. Not too worried in the way of lifestyle changes, going from zero to 1 was a huge change but I don't think my lifestyle will change all that much with one more. I am just scared of the sleep deprivation. My DD is and was a horrible horrible sleeper. Waking ALL the time for over 18mths. Now she is doing better but still will take a long time to go to sleep and when she wakes up in the middle of the night it will be at least a hr to get her back to sleep each time. :

2. My lola, 22mths is excited but she is also little. She knows mommy has a little babe in her belly who is very very tiny right now and will get bigger and bigger. BUT I don't think she really understands what that means in the long run, how she will have a sibling. I tell her mommy will feed the baby from mommies boob ALL the time, and have to spend lots of time tending to the babe but she can help mommy. She has already picked clothes for the baby, a little hat and onezie that she uses to dress her animals. She went over and picked them out and told me that she was going to dress the baby and cuddle it. so far she seems excited!

3. Ah well right now since I just stopped pumping (when my milk totally dried up due to preg) just a few weeks ago I can say I may just now have time for some of my old hobbies again.
I was huge into musical theater, acting and singing but have not done that since college. My last roll was a monologue, I played a suicidal, anorexic, manic depressive girl contemplating her life. I LOVED it, very melodramatic and emotional.
I also like to play with cars, my hubbie is a total car NUT. He basically has motor oil running though his veins so I got roped in. I even had my own project car in college that I did most of the work to and would take to weekend racing. It was really a blast.
I picked up knitting about a year ago, I do like it but I don't knit all the time. Right now I am working on a gift for my mom and then I plan to start some stuff for my lola and the new babe, possibly matching dolls in large and small.
Last but not least I am currently taking American Sign Language Classes at the School for the Deaf. I have always wanted to learn another language and this was something I started with my DD. I wanted to teach her proper ASL verses baby sign so I took an adult night class and got hooked. I start level 4 next week.

#19 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
1.Do you have a gender feeling with this baby?

2.What's the first thing you plan to tell baby when you meet them?
1. Last time I deep down thought girl and I was right but I was not bias at the time, I truly would have wanted either. This time I am sort of hoping for a boy, my hubbie would love to have a boy to round out the family. So I would say I think it is a boy BUT I am hesitant to be really sure since I am a bit bias this time. Truly in the end all I want is a healthy babe!

2. "I love you" and (after I check all the fingers and toes) "So glad your OK"! I know a close second will be "Please take to BFing like a pro mommy can't deal with pumping again, I promise you can BF for as long as you want".

#20 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLaz View Post
1.Are you going to find out the gender of the baby before the birth?

2. Do you have any names picked out that you'd like to share?
1. My Hubbie wants to find out but I still would like to wait. We did not find out last time and it was an amazing surprise. We will have to decide before the 20wk ultrasound but I bet it will be right before.

2. We don't share names before hand, just one of those things but actually we really have NO idea what this babe will be called. I think in a few more weeks once we announce to the family that we are pregnant we will get serious about actually being pregnant. I think I have not let myself totally believe it since I am worried of a MC. After the 12 week mark things really gets more real in my mind.

#21 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
What is your strongest food craving right now?
I would say it is more like a food aversion period right now. I don't want to eat anything especially anything that I cook so basically anything really good for me and affordable is out. I found that when my tummy is empty I feel REALLY sick so I need to keep eating but I really don't want to eat anything most days even though I am totally starving all the time. It is such a strange feeling, to be hungry but not want to eat anything.

I would say yesterday was my best day eating wise yet since I have been feeling sick all day and craving really nothing. We left late for IKEA and I could not stomach anything in the house, I ate one small mandarin orange on the way but when we got there I went CRAZY. After reading their ingredients chart and realizing that most anything there with any sort of sauce was REALLY REALLY BAD for me I ordered the large Swedish meatballs w/ sauce, side of mash potatoes and veggie then ATE IT ALL. About 2hrs later I plouded down a decaf coffee, and a huge piece of chocolate mouse cake. And on our way home we stopped for sushi at what is know as one of the best places in our area (and my hubbie basically is know there by name he goes for lunch all the time) and had a miso soup, salad, 12 pieces of veggie sushi, some chicken and ginger ice cream. I was in HEAVEN. I did not have to smell any of it cooking and the flavors were complex enough to keep me interested and not thinking about my tummy. I wish I could afford to eat out (especially Japanese) everyday right now.:
But basically today sucked eating wise, I ate barely anything and was sick and hungry all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
How old will you be when this baby is 18?
47:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee View Post
How many children do you plan on having?
well my hubbie wants to stop now with 2, but I think we will end up with 3 as long as this babe is alot EASIER than our Lola AND BFing goes well. We are both just a bit traumatized by the last almost 2 years and really scared that the next one will bring about another horror story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmama View Post
Your dd is 10 days older than mine! How do you think she will react to having a new baby in the house?
I think she will be shy and a bit apprehensive at first, it is just a big part of her nature to want things to stay as they were. She is not a huge fan of change within the home. But I think once she adjusts and realizes that the babe is not going anywhere and she sees that life is different but still good I think she will be an amazing mommies helper. She loves to tend to everyone and take care of you when you are sick so I think she will want to do the same sort of thing with this babe; love, diaper change, read and cuddle the babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovingmama View Post
1. Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?

2. Do you work outside the home?
1. Yep, one fluffy kitty
2. Nope, no work right now. May go back if we do public school verses Home school. still undecided.

#22 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
I wish I could afford to eat out (especially Japanese) everyday right now.:
Me too! I am making a great effort, but we cannot keep up with it!

How long have you been married?

Did your DH propose? If yes, how?

Did you have a traditional wedding/reception?

Are you residing in the same area that you grew up?

Do you keep in touch with childhood friends?

How did you meet your best friend?
#23 of 33 Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM

OMG I am craving veggie sushi all the time, too! We went out for some two nights ago and I was in heaven : I wish we could do that every night.
#24 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Aside from being a wonderful mama to your kidlets, what're your areas of interest?
I think I am going to say I already answered that when I was asked about hobbies and save everyone my long winded answer again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
1. What have you learned about yourself as a mama that you never imagined?

2. Is there anything you plan to do differently with this babe as opposed to Lola (I know your BFing story so you don't need to answer that unless you want to)?
1. How far I would go to do what I think is the best for my child. What kind of sacrifices I would make in my quality of life and for how long. I talk about EPumping alot but truly my life has been RULED by it. All to give BM and what I considered to be the only way to feed my child. I know I would still be going if my milk had not dried up with this preg. I try not to feel guilty about loosing my supply or really choosing to get pregnant knowing that I would most likely loose my supply but it is hard. Especially since I LOVE not having to pump but hate not being able to give my daughter BM when I truly believe she is too young to be weaned.

2. Hmmmm. I know I will set up the beds different right from the beginning. When Lola was born she slept in a handmade cradle that was made for my husband by his grandpa. He slept in it along with his younger sister and brother so it has a lot of history. BUT it is really not the best for ease of use. It is really low to the ground so you have to either get out of bed to get the babe up and down or lean way over the side, both methods don't work so well when you are tired. This time I am going to go straight to the 3 sided crib attached to the bed. It took us months to find that tip and it made a marked difference in our sleep so I want to start that right at the beginning.

I think with Lola in the beginning I listened to others advice a bit too much especially since my views were still forming. I really trusted my family and Inlaws, they are great people I Really love them but I am finding to be the best parent YOU can be you really need to just go with what works for YOUR baby and YOUR family since you know them better than anyone. Its not that their ways are wrong just that they have a different family, kids and are different people so they find value in a different way of child rearing. Its hard not to get in to mild fights about your choices or hurt feelings along the way.

Well I surly will get BFing RIGHT this time. We had a small window of opportunity to get things right with Lola but I was only mildly informed about BFing, enough to know to feed on demand and how to latch but NOTHING about problems, I was uniformed enough to think that todays BFing professionals would have those kinds of answers if I ran into problems. I was dead wrong on that one so this time I am armed with tons of knowledge and a proper support network so unless the baby is physically unable BFing will go well this time. My heart, soul, mind, body, family and marriage cannot deal with me EPing again.

#25 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

This is so fun!

Where do you plan on having this babe?

What do SAHMs do together in Greene, RI?

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#26 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Hats off to EP.

What is your favorite season and why?

Have you always lived in RI?

Is your house tidy or "lived in" ?

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#27 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
1. How long have you been married?

2. Did your DH propose? If yes, how?

3. Did you have a traditional wedding/reception?

4. Are you residing in the same area that you grew up?

5. Do you keep in touch with childhood friends?

6. How did you meet your best friend?

1. Since July 2002, 5 years now.
2. Well he asked me to marry him sort of "unofficially" then we went ring shopping together. I totally loved that! He also asked my family for "permission" to marry me, also VERY cute. Then after he had the ring he took me to one of the highest points in Worcester, where we were going to college at the time in the evening so we could over look the city lights and then he asked me. VERY sweet.

3. VERY traditional, even actually I would say "posh and ritzie". We wanted a barefoot at the beach wedding where everyone showed up in shorts and t-shirts BUT after we realized who my family was and that they NEVER would come in anything but a suit so they would have really no fun at that sort of thing we changed gears. My parents really wanted to have everyone there since I am an only child, we said we could NOT afford that sort of thing and it really was not our cup of tea. After much dicussion we realized that it would be fun either way especially if our guests were having a good time. My parents basically paied for the whole thing since they wanted HUNDREDS of people there, it was a great way for me to get to know how everyone is related. It was an amazing day, totally great party, live band. We got married at a huge mansion on an island in the middle of the bay in RI outside on a cliff overlooking the ocean. it was my hubbies Great Uncles home that he did all the landscaping at for years in HS, that was one of the only reasons he allowed us there, he is very priviate. It was beautiful and an experience for everyone!

4. Yes, about 1hr away from the home I grew up in. (Which we are awaiting a Purchase and Sale to be faxed TODAY! Then it will be sold.) My Dad died in Jan 2005 VERY unexpectedly, he was not even outwardly sick, a massive Heart attack. My hubbie and I quit our jobs in Boston and moved in with my mom. We just bought a new home together about 1hr away and are selling her home. The new place is actually 2 homes, One smaller home for my mom and a huge place for us! It is great! (But if not for my dad dieing I HIGHLY doubt we would be anywhere near this area of the world.)

5. Not really. I have one that I talk to and really care about but the others have gone their separate ways.

6. I would say my hubbie is my best friend and we met in college first day, well he remembers the first day and I remember the second. We officially started dating about 5mths later and have been together ever since.

Quote:
OMG I am craving veggie sushi all the time, too! We went out for some two nights ago and I was in heaven : I wish we could do that every night.
AHHH sushi!! My hubbie promised to bring some home either tomorrow or Friday depending upon which day he goes there for lunch!: YUMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
This is so fun!

1. Where do you plan on having this babe?

2. What do SAHMs do together in Greene, RI?
1. Hopefully at home. BUT it is hard to find a HB midwife in RI, I really need to import one from MA and I live about 1.25hrs from the nearest bigger city in MA where HB MWs practice. Admittedly I have not started making calls so I don't know how hard it will be. I know woman HB here so it must be possible just a bit more difficult to find someone than it would be for a Hospital birth.

2. That is a good question. I am really new to the area and have not made any SAHM friends around here yet. I know I will once I start going out of the house a bit more, when this Morning Sickness subsides, I have been home most of the time since we moved her cause I am just too tired or ill to tote the babe out of the house for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapellucida View Post
Hats off to EP.

1. What is your favorite season and why?

2. Have you always lived in RI?

3. Is your house tidy or "lived in" ?
1. Summer, Hot summer. I love the warm weather and sunshine, it just makes me HAPPY! Winter is horrible, I hate the cold. (I am just like my dad when it comes to that. It must be genetic.)

2. Nope, lived in Worcester, MA for 4years or so during college and right outside of Boston for a little more than a year. I also lived in Ireland for 2.5mths during a college senior design project, that was amazing, I love EUROPE! Done alot of traveling in Europe (almost a year worth) and the US so the fact that I settled down close to where I grew up was a surprise.

3. LIVED IN!!! Especially now that I am tired and feeling crappy all the time!

#28 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
This is so fun!
I am glad you are enjoying yourself! This is fun on this side also! Kind of strange also, I am not really a shy person so it does not feel all that strange to be chatting about EVERYTHING personal online.

Keep it coming I finally CAUGHT UP

#29 of 33 Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 PM

I don't really have any questions, but just wanted to comment on the Eping - my 2nd DD was born with cleft lip and palate which meant she had no suction to BF. But it was even more important for her to get Bmilk given the fact that amongst the numerous surgeries she would have, Bmilk was something she could have sooner than formula post op. So I chained myself to that darn pump for 15 months. I had so many supply issues etc that eventually I just couldn't keep up and it was making me depressed so i had to "hang up the horns".
So i just wanted to commend you for doing such an important thing for such an amazingly long time (GAWD 22 months...I can't even imagine!) and don't feel bad for packing it in because she really did get what was best for her for the amount time you could provide it.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#30 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
I don't really have any questions, but just wanted to comment on the Eping - my 2nd DD was born with cleft lip and palate which meant she had no suction to BF. But it was even more important for her to get Bmilk given the fact that amongst the numerous surgeries she would have, Bmilk was something she could have sooner than formula post op. So I chained myself to that darn pump for 15 months. I had so many supply issues etc that eventually I just couldn't keep up and it was making me depressed so i had to "hang up the horns".
So i just wanted to commend you for doing such an important thing for such an amazingly long time (GAWD 22 months...I can't even imagine!) and don't feel bad for packing it in because she really did get what was best for her for the amount time you could provide it.
Meant to get back earlier but with the M/S I have been a total loaf this week!

It is amazing the number of people that I found EPumped for some extended length of time especially in NFL circles! Just in my one AP playgroup 3 of us EPumped, 1 for 12mths, 1 for 21mths and me for 22mths, Also one of the mom has twins and basically EPumped for 5mths while getting them to BF. Just never met anyone in real life and then before I knew it their were 3 of us. I think it is just that we all know how important BM is for out babes and for an extended period. Huge props to you for pumping as we both know first hand it is NOT the easy way out. And thanks for the commendation it really is appreciated!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page