Is anyone doing UP/UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am researching into possibly going unassisted, and would love to hear from others doing the same... especially if you have done it before, but that isn't a requirement for speaking up

I had a homebirth in 2002, and I am thinking I might want to go the unassisted route this time.

Still in the questioning stage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM

I wish!!! I'm currently working on trying to get out of the medical mindset. I'm a NICU nurse so its EXTREMELY difficult for me not to over analyze and think about all the "what ifs." I know how normal birth is and for some reason all of a sudden I'm starting to doubt. I've gotten some good tips from friends on how to work on it so I'm going to try that out. I just have to realize that I need to separate the nurse me from the mommy me.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#3 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM

I'm planning a UC. Not doing a UP for dh's comfort level and to make getting a birth certificate easier.
#4 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 AM

I am doing my 3rd up/uc. If you have any questions, ask away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
I wish!!! I'm currently working on trying to get out of the medical mindset. I'm a NICU nurse so its EXTREMELY difficult for me not to over analyze and think about all the "what ifs." I know how normal birth is and for some reason all of a sudden I'm starting to doubt. I've gotten some good tips from friends on how to work on it so I'm going to try that out. I just have to realize that I need to separate the nurse me from the mommy me.
Maybe it would be helpful for me to point out that as a nurse, you are not witnessing normal births! A normal birth can not happen when the women is in a hospital setting, with all the interference and with the birth being a liability rather then a natural beautiful process.. Most of the "what ifs" are actually caused by the interventions. I would suggest watching some homebirth and uc videos to get a better idea of how an unhindered birth looks if you are up for it, there are a few on youtube if you look around!
#5 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
Maybe it would be helpful for me to point out that as a nurse, you are not witnessing normal births! A normal birth can not happen when the women is in a hospital setting, with all the interference and with the birth being a liability rather then a natural beautiful process.. Most of the "what ifs" are actually caused by the interventions. I would suggest watching some homebirth and uc videos to get a better idea of how an unhindered birth looks if you are up for it, there are a few on youtube if you look around!
#6 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post

That is very true. I never really thought of it that way I guess. Someone reccommended affirmations so I'm going to try those. I work on the side at a freestanding birthing center so I do see natural intervention free births often but I think its just odd being in this position myself. I definitely think I will take your advice and look at a few births on youtube. I think the more I expose myself the less I'll worry.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#7 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
I will... when I am not on the verge of a coma I am about ready to go to sleep.

Anyone who quotes Trent Reznor is okay in my book!
#8 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

i'm planning a UC, and UP is up in the air right now.

i'm a bit odd about it. our insurance company offers incentives for doing two prenatal appointments (one in the first tri, one in the second). this can be with a family practitioner, midwife, etc.

i think i'd prefer simple UP, though. finding a doc is rough.
#9 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

accidental double! sorry!
#10 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM

This is my second UC, and I'm still deciding on whether or not to get prenatal care. I've had two partial placenta abruptions (with 2/3 or more detached) in a row and have a liver issue. My last was a UP/UC and his birth was perfect, but some monitoring during this pregnancy would give me peace of mind.

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
#11 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm all for it, although hubby would NEVER go for it. I had to talk awhile before he agreed to the homebirth. With my past birth, I got so sick so fast and he was there watching me threw it and it scares him. He said he would never even consider unassisted. I figure if this pregnancy goes well (I"m praying), our next (if we get blessed again), I may try to encourage him.

I think it's wonderful!! I've known of people having prenatal appointments then doing unassisted childbirth and loving it. Really that happens all the time. I would do it, but like I said my DH would never be on board for that, at this point!!

Goodluck!!
#12 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I am doing UP(unassisted prenatal care) and I want to have an UC(unassisted childbirth) but DH is not on board with the UC yet. I WILL convince him. He's fine with UP but has some fears about UC.

Chelci

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

#13 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM

not really planning on it, but I wouldn't mind an oops didn't make it to the birth center on time UC. I had a dream last night we didn't make it
#14 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM

I am planning another UC birth. I will see my family Dr for care, but sporatically and what I choose, I don't get "Everything" done because I can, I pick and choose.
#15 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

dh actually asked me if I wanted to UC this time. I told him I think I'd prefer to have our midwife there again. It was virtually unassisted though as she didn't interfere at all (no touching, handling of the baby or me, etc).

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 AM

That's the plan

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#17 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

What is UP/UC?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#18 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

UP is unassisted pregnancy (no prenatal care from and outside person/medical professional), and UC is unassisted childbirth (no attendants--for medical purposes--at the birth).
#19 of 21 Old 01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Banned

We plan on unassisted all the way. I've two hospital births and one birthcenter birth. I guess now I figure if humanity survived without hospital births before, why do I need someone to tell me when to push?
#20 of 21 Old 01-12-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm doing UC with a very natural-minded, homebirth doc for prenatal care.
#21 of 21 Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 PM

I am not planning one but will have to prepare for one as my last labour was less than an hour from 1cm to placenta out. I will prepare for a home birth and an unassisted birth.. this is baby #4 and I know how to push like a pro this time (last two were less than 4 pushes

I figure I have to be prepared for any eventuality at this point so if anyone has good resources a place to order a homebirth kit from bring it on. My good friend is my midwife and lives close by but with babies they come when they want.

I think the what ifs go both ways, since this is my fourth pregnancy I am sure I could almost push out a transverse ....lol kidding but I think I could do a breech no problem (2nd child was almost 11 pounds and came out quickly)
My third child was born cord first, cord around the neck he was delivered with just a nurse and my husband present. *the doctor thought I'd be longer they tried to make me wait...LOL wait for what?

If I had had any assitance from a doctor the outcome might have been disasterous but would have definetly been a section. (the glamerous kind where a nurse sticks their hand up your vagina and holds the babies head off the cord... and a nice verticle incision...) Because it was totally natural - no breaking the water the water broke when he crowned so the amount of pressure on the cord was minimal and only minor strangulation...

I liked the drugs with the first two births I'll admit that but after baby three and how quickly I hopped off that bed (right after the placenta Also there was no doctor ordering me what to do or putting me on a bed....I think with a doctor there it would have been much longer for the most part it was me and my husband in the bathroom as I tried to get him to turn off the lights and lock the door....primal style.

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page