Need help with constant nausea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been feeling nauseous since about 4wks and it's just been getting worse. I'm waking up in the night feeling sick, I'm struggling to eat properly, & to take care of everything at home.

I've only thrown up 3 times now, once at 7w, once at 8w1d, and again today at 9w1d. I feel so revolting all the time though.

I'm doing the usual things that are supposed to help, like not letting my stomach get empty, eating a dry cracker before getting up, tried ginger, etc etc and nothing is helping at all.

I've ordered some Preggie Pops but they won't be here til Mon/Tues.

Any suggestions please anyone?
#2 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM

B6 and sea bands
#3 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. After just posting that my nausea isn't that bad, I had my worst day yet today. It really is revolting and awful.

The only thing that has ever helped me is to eat what I feel like eating, never having an empty stomach, preggie pops, sea bands and time.

I have read other threads where women recommend Unisom combined with B. I haven't tried that but if you are interested, you might want to research that a bit. Finally, if it really gets bad, there are medications you can take if you wish to go that route. I would never judge anyone who did that since my nausea isn't even severe and yet it makes me want to curl up and die sometimes.

I hope your nausea is short-lived.
#4 of 21 Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 PM

This afternoon was my worst one yet. I sipped room temp water and ginger ale. I ate crackers really really slow. Other than that, I would say get with your doctor. He/She might be able to prescribe something that will work.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#5 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 12:43 AM

I think a combination of vitamin K and B6 (and ginger) has helped qualm my tummy. Just started the regimen 3 days ago and it seems to be working. I'm also 9+ weeks.

I ran across a study suggesting that K, B6, and ginger (and a few others) were effective, but that was a while ago...
#6 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Poor you! I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable. Here is a list of things I've tried with the past pg and this one to help with the nausea (it didn't work for me, I am on zofran this time like last time because I can't. stop. puking) but maybe it's something you haven't tried yet!

-one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in warm water in the morning. the neutral ACV should help with stomach acid issues

-B6 and unisom combination

-sea bands

-ginger tea or ginger altoids

-milk thistle extract (300mg taken once or twice a day)

-sucking on hard candy (specifically I heard lemon candy)

-Vernon's ginger ale (specific brand!!)

-eating small amounts (like try carrying around a bag of soda crackers or melba toast and eating them one at a time) trying to keep always a little something in your stomach

good luck!

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#7 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 01:56 PM

I have dealt with severe nausea for three pregnancies. Here are some things that have worked at various times. To start with, if you are already dehydrated, you need to be rehydrated via IV fluids. That alone will make a huge difference. Your clinic should be able to do in the clinic.

Vitamin water or gatorade. Gatorade has high fructose corn syrup, but it isn't overly sugary tasting and has made a huge huge difference for me.

Eat all of the time. Little bites here and there throughout the day. Even if you have an aversion, try.

Watermelon gum. Who knows why.

Seabands didn't work for me, but they could work for you. Anyway, there is more, but I have to lay down for awhile now.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#8 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Hydration is really the key for me- weak lemonade if you can't stomach water, even coke can help. For extreme cases of nausea ginger usually hurts more than it helps- it's a strong smell and often a trigger. Also try to make sure you are getting loads of sleep- if I'm sleep deprived nothing I can do will make it better.

If you are 9w, you're probably in the thick of it, and it will start to ease next week. I'm hyperemetic (lots and lots of throwing up), and so am on zofran and occasional rehydration by IV. If it takes a turn for the worse your care provider has lots of more medical options for you. Hopefully the tips in this thread will be enough, though! Feel better.
#9 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

I couldn't look without saying something!

I have had severe hyper-emesis my whole pregnancy. I tried all of these suggestions, including prescription drugs, and nothing worked. At it's worst, I lost 19 pounds. Finally my midwife suggested I try consuming marijuana. This may seem extremely controversial, but it kept me from being in the hospital. When the benefit out ways the risk, you always go for the benfit! And you can do your own research, (which I did) but there is no study that shows that marijuana has an affect on the baby. And there are arguements both way. You being malnurished and putting perscription drugs in you could do much more harm!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to say my piece. And except for an experimental phase in high school, I have never been a drug user!

I hope this helps you!
#10 of 21 Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 AM

I had the worst nausea yesterday afternoon until this afternoon. I finally managed to get some french fries and ginger ale but I feel bad again and that was a couple of hours ago. It's so bad I can't sleep.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#11 of 21 Old 01-06-2008, 10:51 PM

With my first child, Sea Bands and ginger really helped me until I developed Hyperemesis. Seems nothing really helps that, ugh!
#12 of 21 Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 PM

At what point to you ask for anti-nausea meds? I'm just wondering, I'm not getting many calories and I don't want baby to suffer since I'm not eating well

I've tried sea bands and ginger tea, tomorrow I'm going to get some ginger altoids and see if those help.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#13 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 AM

That's a really personal decision for everyone. My first time I went without meds- I had to quit my job, and I could just layabout the house to do so. I still threw up a lot, but with absolutely nothing to do but lay around, it was doable.

Having been on the meds for my last pregnancy, and again for this one, I'd say that was too great a sacrifice. I should have taken them. Last time was a no brainer- I was nursing, so extra dehydrated, and edging toward seizures. Pregnant women get dehydrated REALLY EASILY, all the more so if you are still nursing. This time I am not nursing anymore(so probably not in mortal danger), but without the meds I am nonfunctional for the entire day, and in and out of the hospital every few days for rehydration. With the meds I have a 2-3 hour window mid day where I can do things like read to the kids, get dressed and drop them for playdates, etc, without vomiting the whole time. I haven't been to the hospital once for rehydration, but I suspect I'm headed there in the next couple weeks.

The meds aren't quite a silver bullet, though. They can help- a lot- but I'm certainly not back to normal. Just functional some of the time.
#14 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Do consider trying Unisom and B6. It may really help you, and data does not show any increase in mc rates or birth defects or any adverse affects on the developing fetus.

Last time I was barely functional -- no meds, no hyperemesis, but constantly feeling horrible and if not vomiting (which was not all that frequent for me, I could go several days sometimes without vomiting),but always on the verge, a LOT of gagging, dry heaving, EXTREME sensitivity to smells that could set all of above off, you know the deal.

Anyway it got better for me last time sometime during the middle of 2nd trimester. Thankfully. But around where you are now at, I actually really began to regret getting pg (and it had been long-planned!), I just felt so awful.

This time I'm doing considerably better because after the symptoms started up, I decided to try Unisom and B6, then quickly switched to the prescription version available here in Canada-diclectin. What convinced me to start with this medication (where last time I was rabidly anti-med as long as I could stand it, and it turned out I could) this time, was research that showed taking it early is more effective and can help the really bad symptoms (and for hyperemisis mamas, help prevent it from ever getting ahold) from ever getting ahold of you. So this time, before things got so awful, I tried it. ANd it has definitely helped. It does NOT make you feel great/perfect/like you're not pg, and it makes you super tired at first, but it REALLY has helped me. Things never got as bad for me, and they are already beginning to get better the past couple days, I've cut back my dosage a little, and I'm only 10/11 weeks. If you are interested, there's lots more information on how to do the Unisom/B6 combo on the sickkids/motherrisk website, and LOTS of information there on the safety of this drug. Don't have time to search right now, tonight I can come back and add the link--but if you search this forum for my post of about a month ago on "diclectin" , the links are in that post.

Good luck, mama. It is horrible, I know. I have tears welling up right now in sympathy for the burden you are under, esp. at such an early time in pg when you don't really show, and people are far less supportive. I REALLY hope you are soon feeling a bit better soon.

ETA: found links:
http://www.motherisk.org/women/morningSickness.jsp

http://www.motherisk.org/women/forum...category_id=14
#15 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalin24kd View Post
Finally my midwife suggested I try consuming marijuana. This may seem extremely controversial, but it kept me from being in the hospital. When the benefit out ways the risk, you always go for the benfit! And you can do your own research, (which I did) but there is no study that shows that marijuana has an affect on the baby. And there are arguements both way. You being malnurished and putting perscription drugs in you could do much more harm!!!
If the OP wants to try this, I would ask if they could get medical-grade marijuana from a compassion club in their area or connect with someone trustworthy who grows it for personal use.
What worries me about the pot is what's being used to cultivate it. I've seen the stuff seized from outdoor marijuana grows - including bags of chemical fertilizer and pesticides which were clearly being used by untrained growers.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#16 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM

My nausea was bad when I woke up. I had some Sprite and that calmed it down a little. It's back again and I think i'm going to attempt to stomach some lunch.

I agree with the constant snacking if possible, or even sips of room temp drinks. Cold drinks and hot drinks make me gag.

#17 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm struggling, but doing much better with this pregnancy than my others. I think what's making the difference is protein and hydration. Instead of crackers and "snacks" I'm forcing myself to start with protein and eat it throughout the day. It's hard to get down, but I'm letting my body dictate which kind of protein I can handle at that exact moment and then making sure to eat it. Drinking constantly (for me, vitamin water, water with a splash of grapefruit juice in it, or cranberry juice) helps tremendously, but it has to be small amounts so my stomach doesn't get too much liquid in it. But mainly once there's protein in my body, the nausea seems to downshift slightly. And I'm allowing myself to eat weirdly to get it however I can. Even a fruit smoothie with protein powder is a good start for me.

Astoria
#18 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM

I've been taking a supplement called Nause-Aid from my health food store. Its all the things that are supposed to help nausea in one capsule. I'm not sure if its been helping but I'm not nauseated all day long now!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#19 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Hugs to everyone! I'm at 8 weeks and have been feeling icky for a couple of weeks now. The all day sickness didn't set in as early this time as it did with my first pregnancy and I'm hoping it goes away at my second trimester as it did the first time.

With my first pregnancy all I did was a Relief Band (similar to Sea Bands but uses an electrical pulse) and lots of Sprite. I hated it and had to have a trash can within reach at all times.

This time I'm feeling OLD so I'm not putting up with it as well. I'm taking HemaPlex as my prenatal vitamin at night and then during the day I take a 50mg B-6 three times a day. It makes a huge difference! I still feel yucky but I don't feel like I have to have a plastic bag within reach at all times. And, most days I get an hour or two of feeling good.
#20 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM

I just wanted to give you a hug. I've been fighting this myself, so I know how difficult and frustrating it is.

My doctor prescribed phenergan, which I only take on my worst days or when I know I have an outing that I can't skip. It's a class C med, which means that they can't say for sure it's 100% safe, so you have to decide for yourself if the benefits outweigh the risks. None of the natural remedies worked for me. Quality of life does mean something, and I could have easily seen myself slipping into depression before I started taking the medication.

My doctor told me that at this point, she doesn't really care WHAT I eat, as long as I take my vitamin and eat SOMETHING. So do what you can, but give yourself a break and tell yourself it's okay to exist on chocolate milkshakes (or whatever gets you by) for awhile. Give yourself permission to rest, too. That helped alot for me. And if it makes you feel better, at 10 weeks, my nausea is starting to go away so there is hope that you only have a couple weeks left.
#21 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
If the OP wants to try this, I would ask if they could get medical-grade marijuana from a compassion club in their area or connect with someone trustworthy who grows it for personal use.
What worries me about the pot is what's being used to cultivate it. I've seen the stuff seized from outdoor marijuana grows - including bags of chemical fertilizer and pesticides which were clearly being used by untrained growers.
I have to agree with you, I didn't think to state that. I personally know and have used a grower that is all organic with everything she does. I trust her very much.
Now that the hyper-emesis is slowing down, I haven't had a need for it in at least 2-3 weeks except the occasional really bad day. You know, when you can't get up cause you feel like your going to fall over. I still have a hard time eating without feeling ill. But at least it's not coming back out. I truly believe after everything I tried, most with horrible side effects for me (phenergan YUCK), that "pot" saved my pregnancy!
But yes, find your own grower!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page