Anyone with twin experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is my second pregnancy. My cycle is very strange so by our best calculations I am probably only about a month and a half along and I am already as big as I was at 4 months last time, I am NOT exaggerating! I have outgrown my pants and my belly button is already stuck out so far it's flattened out! I have twins on my mothers side of the family and so she's telling me it's probably twins, I have a friend who's an ex-midwife telling me that as well, and also lots of other random people. Anyway, I can't get an u/s for another two weeks and I am just bursting with this issue, trying to wrap my preggo brain around it!
The question I have is do twins cause you to show this early? I mean they would be so small at this point, would it have any impact on how large my belly is yet? Anyone momma to twins or have any experience with this issue? Two weeks is just SO long to wait!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM

No experience here. Just wanted to say I'm anxious to hear how that ultrasound goes. That'd be cool!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM

My twin pregnancy was my first pregnancy, so it's not really comparable, but I was not showing at all at this stage of pregnancy last time.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM

I've heard that you do show early with twins. Simply because there are two sacs and your uterus has to expand a bit more. Also, with second pregnancies you tend to show early since your body has "been there before".

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 PM

I found out last week I am having twins. This is my 2nd pregnancy. Here are my 7 week and then 9 week pics.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/poopzmom/053.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...zmom/003-2.jpg

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM

At 8 weeks with a confirmed singleton pregnancy, my stomach looks a lot like your 9 week picture. I think maybe at this stage the difference is "second pregnancy vs. first pregnancy" as opposed to "twin vs. singleton."

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM

yeah I agree. With this pregnancy it was much more then a big belly that had us thinking twins:

unbearble morning sickness
fatigue to the point where I couldn't function
high hcg levels
uterus measuring ahead of where I should have been.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Hey Caroline!

I was just going to post about your situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
I found out last week I am having twins. This is my 2nd pregnancy. Here are my 7 week and then 9 week pics.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/poopzmom/053.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...zmom/003-2.jpg

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
fatigue to the point where I couldn't function
I've had that this pregnancy which I found odd since its #4..and never with the previous three...thought I was getting old now you are making me think...

well it best be only #4 and not kids 4&5
altough a double custom fluff order would be nice...
but luckily I don't look like your 9 week picture so I can probably breath easier...funny how twins seems so cool in your first pregnancy now it would scare the crap out of me....

8 might be enough
Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
.funny how twins seems so cool in your first pregnancy now it would scare the crap out of me....
YEP! I was terrified for a good 3 days. But I'm cool with everything now. I just don't want a hospital birth

Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Oh geez. Well, I'm a good size up larger from your most reccent picture I need to get a picture up, it's a little ridiculous! My morning sickness so far has been all day long and I can't even eat anything when I first wake up as it just makes me feel worse. I pretty much have to lay around for an hour or two until it subsides a little before I can make myself breakfast. Whereas last time, I could eat crackers to help with it in the morning and it would pass in the middle of the day where I would pretty much feel normal again. I'm curious now about the hcg levels though too. Last pregnancy, I was a good 6 weeks along and the tests didn't show up that I was pregnant. This time I took it when I first started to suspect and I got a couple of positive ones, that was a week before christmas. I don't know if that could mean that my levels are higher or just that it was a more sensitive test or something. Argh! I can't wait to see the midwife!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Your description of your m/s sounds a lot like mine last time (twin pg.) Excited to know what you find out! Twins are great!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
YEP! I was terrified for a good 3 days. But I'm cool with everything now. I just don't want a hospital birth
Yeah I freaked for the first few days of the pregnancy...twins I might need a serious vacation like me alone for a week

I hope you can have your home birth

8 might be enough
Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Oh geez. Well, I'm a good size up larger from your most reccent picture I need to get a picture up, it's a little ridiculous! My morning sickness so far has been all day long and I can't even eat anything when I first wake up as it just makes me feel worse. I pretty much have to lay around for an hour or two until it subsides a little before I can make myself breakfast. Whereas last time, I could eat crackers to help with it in the morning and it would pass in the middle of the day where I would pretty much feel normal again. I'm curious now about the hcg levels though too. Last pregnancy, I was a good 6 weeks along and the tests didn't show up that I was pregnant. This time I took it when I first started to suspect and I got a couple of positive ones, that was a week before christmas. I don't know if that could mean that my levels are higher or just that it was a more sensitive test or something. Argh! I can't wait to see the midwife!
I got a bfp 5 days before af was due. I don't know if that plays a part but it was def. early for me. With my dd I got one at 1 day late for af.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 AM

I had twins last time and I did not show soon at all. Here is my 12 week belly shot: 12 weeks twins However, I had HORRIBLE morning sickness and I lost 6 lbs my first trimester, which was alot for me. I am 11 weeks right now with baby #4 and I am really anxious to know how many I am carrying, but I won't be getting an ultrsound unless I measure way ahead. So it is the waiting game. Twins are a wonderful blessing! Mine were born at 40 weeks 1 day at home and it was a great experience.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I am really set on a homebirth so it's nice to hear of others with the same experience. Hoping it's just one and I'm just, for some reason, turning into a hippo this time around.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM

I hope that the results turn out the way each and everyone of us wants them too!

I doubt I'm having twins but this third pregnancy has some pretty strong symptoms! From talking to other moms it sounds like later pregnancies can be a lot stronger than firsts and even seconds.

Btw, lots of moms on here had healthy out of the hospital births with twins.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM

I am having twins and I am planning on another homebirth. I don't know why it would risk you out, as long as you and the babies are healthy, you make it to 37 weeks, and you are confident about your birth!!!

Good luck. It would be nice to have another twin August mama!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Well, another mama wondering about twins here.
In my previous 2 pregnancies, my uterus did not even pop from behind my pubic bone until 12 weeks, and I measured behind for the remainder of both pregnancies.
This time, I felt my uterus at 6 weeks and now at 9 weeks its 1/2 way to my belly button already. So I am definitely measuring ahead for me. Coupled with pretty bad MS (which Ive never had before) and I am wondering about the possibility too.
We have an appointment with a new family practitioner (he does backup for the local midwives so hes super cool and into natural therapies. Ive been waiting for him to accept new patients for almost 3 years so I'm really excited to finally get in) on Valentines day and If I'm still measuring ahead by then, I will ask him to refer me for an ultrasound just so that I can be prepared either way. (I am uc/up'ing so Id really like to know for sure ahead of time)
Old 01-18-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Let us know when you get the u/s!

User Tag List