Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Are you really praying for 12 children?

2. Where do you live?

3. What are your hobbies?

4. What's the single most vital piece of advice you plan to give your child?

5. Are you planning on natural childbirth?

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Woohoo! I get to talk my head off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
1. Are you really praying for 12 children?

2. Where do you live?

3. What are your hobbies?

4. What's the single most vital piece of advice you plan to give your child?

5. Are you planning on natural childbirth?
1. Yup - I'm weird. Somewhere on our honeymoon week it clicked that I'd love to have kids, and then I started praying (and trying to convince dh) for 12! I can fathom as few as 6.

2. The near west suburbs of Chicago. We could be within the city limits in no more than 10 minutes. (Born and raised in TX, 18 months in Japan, college in AR.)

3. Currently trapped in the recliner or bed, BUT I love cooking and critters and cuddling. I keep a blog too, and love to read home birth stories.

4. Girl, fry my brain! Uhhh... There's one single thing I already plan on saying to my kiddo. (I got it from another mom.) "God loves you and I do too." Perfect thing to say when he's heading out the door as a teen away from me!

5. Yup! Even the detail that my midwife wants to listen to the heartbeat every 30 minutes during labor irritates me. I hope to be super hands-off. I've been finding out lately that dh has a "tylenol effect", so I'm going the dh-route for labor.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM

1. Why is this going to be your only birth? (From your rant thread)
2. If that is true, will you adopt?
3. What items do you consider truly essential, and where are you buying/getting them?
4. How do you plan on conveying/sharing your religious/spiritual beliefs with your child?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
1. Why is this going to be your only birth? (From your rant thread)
2. If that is true, will you adopt?
3. What items do you consider truly essential, and where are you buying/getting them?
4. How do you plan on conveying/sharing your religious/spiritual beliefs with your child?
1. Not like I'm ready for a hysterectomy, but I've been shocked at how badly my body is handling pregnancy. I've been in tons of pain for about 5 weeks now from muscle cramps. If we can't pinpoint and treat the root cause, I'll be careful not to conceive again. It'd be like volunteering to get struck by lightening - nobody does that.

2. Yep, we'll adopt! We were already planning to anyway - though we wanted me to carry atleast half of our kids myself (just cause that's so cool.) I hope to have a lot of research about adoption done pre-birth so we won't end up waiting forever for our next baby.

3. I'm still trying to figure out what I actually want to buy! I want onesies and sleepers, socks, blankets, cloth diapers and wipes, a changing table, carseat, and "side-car" crib (what are they called?). I'm pretty sure I'm ditching the ideas of a baby bathtub and baby towels - I just don't see the point.

As to where to buy them from, I'm collecting cloth diapers off of hyenacart so far. I also like Babies R Us. Lots of browsing still.

4. Plan so far: We go to church and house group every week, so Baby will always be there. Dh and I have a Tuesday night "read the Bible together" thing going, so that'll be adjusted to Baby I'm sure. We pray briefly together a few times every day. And I'm sure I'll get one of those kid-Bibles and read stories to my belly (once I comprehend someone's in there!).
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

I am convinced that there was something else going on and pregnancy has just aggravated the situation and made it harder to treat.

What critters have you had and do you currently have?
What's your favorite sort of cooking?
Do you have anything really impressive you know how to make (like stuff involving double-boilers and such)?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I am convinced that there was something else going on and pregnancy has just aggravated the situation and made it harder to treat.
I bet you're right! But it's vital that we pinpoint it. Agh.

What critters have you had and do you currently have?
Have had: tadpoles, 2 guppies that became hundreds, other fish, 3 guinea pigs, 7 parakeets, 2 finches, 1 cockatiel, 1 hamster, 3 rabbits, atleast 6 dogs, atleast 30 cats, a turtle, a "horney-toad" (real name?), 15 rats
Currently have: 1 Persian, 2 parakeets, 1 Beta

What's your favorite sort of cooking?
Casseroles - usually involving cheese. I keep a jar of bacon grease in my cabinet if that gives you an idea! (Hope I didn't just turn anyone green. )

Do you have anything really impressive you know how to make (like stuff involving double-boilers and such)?
No - but people have been pretty impressed that I make my own salsas and refried beans. (I didn't even realize refried beans came canned until someone expressed shock that I'd made some.)
(Obligatory characters to make this long enough to submit.)
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

How old are you?
Did you come from a large family?
How long have you been married?
Do you do any crafts?
Are you planning to find out the gender of your baby?
Is there something about yourself that you are proud of? (skill, feature, achievement, etc.)
Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Do you have any names picked out for the baby?

Do you have a gender preference?

Do you have a food craving right now? If so, what?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM

What's your favorite book?
Who is your favorite literary character and why?
What most excites you about this baby ?(after the gush thread )

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM

How do you make refried beans?
Do you do a pico de gallo or a cooked salsa?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM

deliarose:

How old are you?
Just turned 26. (Dh is 24.)

Did you come from a large family?
I'm the oldest of 3 - 1 sister, 1 brother.

How long have you been married?
Aug of 06 - 16 months now!

Do you do any crafts?
No. Closest thing to it is a memory book I was working on from being pregnant with our first child. We only made it to 5 1/2 weeks, so it's really more of a journal.

Are you planning to find out the gender of your baby?
Nope! We're super-old-fashioned. BUT I will need a level 3 ultrasound at 20 weeks, and in order to not know gender, I won't be able to look at the screen at all. That's gonna be tough.

Is there something about yourself that you are proud of? (skill, feature, achievement, etc.)
Um, yeah. I've always been very arrogant about being the valedictorian in 8th grade. I worked my rear off to do that. But I can honestly say I've been "normal" since then.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM

peacelovingmama:

Do you have any names picked out for the baby?
Sure do but not tellin'! (Horror of horrors if my mother found this forum.) We had a boy and girl name chosen months pre-conception. And in the process of trying to make sure we loved 'em, we have a second boy and girl name tentatively chosen!

Do you have a gender preference?
The most honest answer is "one of each." Regardless of gender, I hope the baby is very much like dh in personality. That'd be a mother's dream!

Do you have a food craving right now? If so, what?
Food? Gross. Are you kidding me?! If it weren't my fat reserves, this kid'd be starvin'.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM

ryansma:

What's your favorite book?
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Hands down! The main character's story feels very much like my own.

Who is your favorite literary character and why?
Sarah in A Little Princess, because she went from riches to rags and never lost confidence in who she was AND it didn't make her bitter. She was like 8 or 10 in the story, but she's one cool chick.

What most excites you about this baby ?(after the gush thread )
(At the moment...) Strutting around with my nose in the air because I have a baby strapped to me. That just makes a woman look SO cool, and I really have a thing for being cool. For the same reason, I want an undeniable bump. Soon as it's there, my nose is hitting the sky man! (I also daydream about a chrome and hot pink harley with handlebars above my head - but don't tell anybody.)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM

sapphire_chan:

How do you make refried beans?
1. Soak pinto beans overnight.
2. Boil or crockpot until squishy.
3. Leave enough water to cover half of them.
4. SMOOSH!
5. Add salt, pepper, butter, bacon grease until the taste and texture suite your fancy.

Do you do a pico de gallo or a cooked salsa?
Cooked. However, that takes forever and I just discovered a gazpacho recipe that can better be used for salsa (and no cooking!)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Are you as organized in the rest of your life as you've been in your responses in this thread?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Are you as organized in the rest of your life as you've been in your responses in this thread?
Um, not lately. But when I'm healthy, yes.

I actually have just been very excited about getting spotlight. There's precious little that has turned out to be fun about being pregnant, and I thought this might be a real perk. And it is fun!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Are you a home body or a out and about type of girl?
What does your house/apt/home look like?
Favorite place?
What do you love best about your dh? (In response to your if your child was like him you would be happy)

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM

What kind of music do you like? Favourites?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM

ryansma:

Are you a home body or a out and about type of girl?
Homebody. Or friends' homes or the church building - those are 2 other places I'm comfortable running around barefoot.

What does your house/apt/home look like?
We have an apt that was built in the 1930's - wood floors, big windows, arched doorways, massive farmer's sink in the kitchen - and everything's crooked! We really don't do furniture. There's no couch - just a recliner. Pretty bare, though I did make sure the bedroom looks like one. I figure that room to be the most important one.

Favorite place?
I honestly always think of "dh's arms." But I know what you're getting at - I love nice hotels - as in suites with the little living room and kitchen. Not sure why. They just tend to perk me up. Has a great effect on my mood.

What do you love best about your dh? (In response to your if your child was like him you would be happy)
His gentleness. The man's oozes "gentle." It's the first character trait I ever noticed about him. In fact, I noticed it the first time we met. His strength is in his gentleness.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
What kind of music do you like? Favourites?
Weirdly enough, I don't listen to music - never more than a single hour a month. I guess I'd have to say my favorite is the type we sing in church. Think Matt Redman or David Crowder Band.

I do like Kirk Franklin or MaryMary when I'm in the mood for a CD. I ALWAYS sing along with them, but I confess I'm...uh...embarassingly white. Is saying that awful on the "politically correct scale?" Eek - not sure. Someone correct me if I just totally sinned and I'll edit the post. Otherwise, feel free to laugh at me.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayinFor12 View Post
Weirdly enough, I don't listen to music - never more than a single hour a month. I guess I'd have to say my favorite is the type we sing in church. Think Matt Redman or David Crowder Band.

I do like Kirk Franklin or MaryMary when I'm in the mood for a CD. I ALWAYS sing along with them, but I confess I'm...uh...embarassingly white. Is saying that awful on the "politically correct scale?" Eek - not sure. Someone correct me if I just totally sinned and I'll edit the post. Otherwise, feel free to laugh at me.
Praying you always find a way to give me a chuckle after a long day. LOL

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
Praying you always find a way to give me a chuckle after a long day. LOL
We seem to do that to each other a lot. I embarass myself.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I love these spotlight discussions! It's so interesting to find out about each other!

My questions:

1. Are you currently working or volunteering outside the home? If so, will that change when the baby comes?

2. Do the "important people" in your life know about your pregnancy yet? (Family, friends, church, etc.) Are they excited, supportive?

3. What scares you the most about becoming a new parent?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I love these spotlight discussions! It's so interesting to find out about each other!

My questions:

1. Are you currently working or volunteering outside the home? If so, will that change when the baby comes?

2. Do the "important people" in your life know about your pregnancy yet? (Family, friends, church, etc.) Are they excited, supportive?

3. What scares you the most about becoming a new parent?
1. Nope and nope. Dh and I both prefer I just be a homemaker. "Bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen" sounds like a dream to us. We did volunteer with the local homeless shelter every month, but haven't been able in a while.

2. Everyone knows! All of church/friends and half of family are supportive. But we knew that'd happen so church/friends got to know pre-family. What goes around...

3. What scares me most is my health. Seriously. Last night I cried to dh about the midwife wanting to check the baby's heartbeat during labor - "Will she even think to check minnnnne?!" Saying it out loud made me crack up, but it really was scaring me all day. I DO "catastrophize" everything. Nothing else about parenting gets to me.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I love the spotlights, too. We really do get to learn a lot about each other

1. If you could bestow one trait on your child, what would it be and why?

2. What can you teach your child that nobody else can?

3. Are you planning on raising your child the same way you were, or would you change something?

And I agree with sapphire, you are one organized lady here

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
I love the spotlights, too. We really do get to learn a lot about each other

1. If you could bestow one trait on your child, what would it be and why?

2. What can you teach your child that nobody else can?

3. Are you planning on raising your child the same way you were, or would you change something?

And I agree with sapphire, you are one organized lady here
1. Physically, my loose curls. Otherwise, the ability to think outside the box - to not just join the bandwagon. I figure he couldn't be taken advantage of as easily that way.

2. Oooh. Not sure. I do figure there aren't many left in our generation that truly know how to cook and keep a kitchen organized. I guess that's something unusual.

3. I definitely know of some things I'll change. I was frequently hit and insulted growing up. Gotta ditch those things. Though I definitely want to keep celebrating half birthdays with one-on-one parent time.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 AM

Such fun!

What do you picture your days with baby to be like in the first few months?

Will your husband be taking time off when you have your baby? How long? What sort of shift/hrs. does he work?

Mama to two beautiful children. 

Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee View Post
Such fun!

What do you picture your days with baby to be like in the first few months?

Will your husband be taking time off when you have your baby? How long? What sort of shift/hrs. does he work?
1. Ya know, this'll be our first living baby, so I really don't know what to expect. I imagine a lot of walking around the house topless since I'll be breastfeeding and it'll be hot. I wish I had a better mental picture of what it'll be like, but I'm rarely even around babies! I have no idea what it might look like.

2. We don't know anything about paternity leave yet, but I'm sure he'll atleast take a week off. He works a very flexible (up to him) 50-hour week and has a nice boss. We don't anticipate problems with him getting off.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Are you going to take childbirth classes? What kind?

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline

User Tag List