want to learn more about cloth diapering but I'm overwhelmed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can any cloth diapering mamas familiar with the cloth diapering forum point me to some good threads for beginning info? I know nothing about cloth diapers, nothing about cleaning them...nothing about anything but I want to learn!

I looked at the cloth diapering forum but really don't know where to start. Is there a good thread with the basics that could get me started?

Thanks!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#2 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 PM

www.diaperswappers.com - this is a great site (with an even greater FSOT) completely dedicated to cloth diapering.

www.diaperpin.com is another good one

This store has a good section for the "new and overwhelmed" http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.htm

That's probably more than enough to get you started. Just holler if you have any questions you can't find answers to!

GL!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#3 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I will check all those links out!

We're a pretty green household but I never researched cloth diapering with DS. I'd love to learn more. Thanks!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June

#4 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM

The diapering threads on here were invaluable but maybe we should get a fluff stash readiness countdown thread going on here

I like to talk about fluff

8 might be enough
#5 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM

It is such a daunting task to get into cloth, the best way I think is to just start somewhere. Pick something that catches your eye after a bit of reading and buy it used on diaperswappers.com, just 1 or 2 diapers. Try it and find what you do and do not like. They you can ask around based on your findings what diapers will fix your current problems you have with the diaper you are trying out. Then buy something else, try it and sell off the other diaper. Just do that until you find something you LOVE and then buy a TON of them. Takes a bit of time and you may not have the perfect NB stash but you wont' spend tons of $$ on a full stash of diapers you find out you hate and by the time you get the stash you want it will be in size Medium and your babe will most likely use that size for over a year!

On that note I need to shop for some night time large cloth. My skinny SUPER HEAVY WETTER is now wetting though her medium wool covers no matter how much I stuff in. Just been a bit tired and it is not on the top of my priority list

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#6 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM

I've done about everything but my plan this time (#3) is to use the prefolds I've already got with snappis and to use the new Bumgenius 3.0s for night time and going out.

I've got about 3 dozen infant prefolds and 2-3 dozen prefolds in premium size. I've got some covers too but we usually go coverless at home with the use of Babylegs.

We do have some fitted diapers but I'd rather spend the couple extra bucks and get pockets.

AIOs (all in ones) are okay but I prefer pockets because you can adjust the absorbtion level.

Different people like different things but this is my preference.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#7 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

I just bought my first stash. I bought 2 dozen indian infant prefolds from Jillian's Drawers. I'm excited. I bought 2 Snappis too, in yellow and mint green.
#8 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshoc View Post
I just bought my first stash. I bought 2 dozen indian infant prefolds from Jillian's Drawers. I'm excited. I bought 2 Snappis too, in yellow and mint green.

Thats awesome, congrats! A trick with the prefolds if you get them new verses used is to wash them with your regular clothes until the baby comes to break them in. They are softer and more absorbent the more they are used. I got mine new 2yrs ago and now after countless washes they are AMAZING.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#9 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

See I'm going to really have to research...I don't even know what a pre-fold is versus other types. And I guess a snappi is the cover, the pre-fold is the inside part?

I'm off to check out those links!

#10 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
See I'm going to really have to research...I don't even know what a pre-fold is versus other types. And I guess a snappi is the cover, the pre-fold is the inside part?

I'm off to check out those links!
a snappi is a stretchy clip thingie to replace pins. They are great! I would recommend getting at least 5 of those. When diapering a squirming baby, you don't want to have to search for a snappi. Plus, after a while, they will start to break.

http://www.snappibaby.com/generic0.html
#11 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that's neat! Thanks

At least I've got about 7 months left for learning, right?

#12 of 22 Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 PM

I am a big fan of the shell sets personally having been through almost every fluff system...I don't even want to think how much my fluff is going to run me this time...sigh addictions.

I am a righteous baby fanatic...
a little overly loyal but when you find a stash system that works for you you keep it...funny the boys always loved the pocket diapers more...but I found that the compression wicking brutal on them...

8 might be enough
#13 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
a snappi is a stretchy clip thingie to replace pins. They are great! I would recommend getting at least 5 of those. When diapering a squirming baby, you don't want to have to search for a snappi. Plus, after a while, they will start to break.

http://www.snappibaby.com/generic0.html
Oooo, so I have to buy some more. I'll get some more with my next buy. I figure for the next 6 months, we will buy little by little from each paycheck so the cost doesn't sneak up on us at the end.
#14 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 AM

We're all about fitteds and wool here. We started with pocket diapers (Happy Heinys and BumGenius), then moved to fitteds with PUL covers, then to fitteds with wool. I still have some pockets for when we go out, but I love fitteds.

Now, I'm crazy enough that I'm even sewing some of my diapers. I just need a snap press because I hate aplix with a passion.
#15 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM

I found this in Diapering Guidelines in the Diapering forum...thought it might be a start for you too... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=270287

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#16 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 AM

I am a fitted under wool girl myself. I use prefolds with lots fo stuffing under arsitocrats for bed. And I don't own lots of any one brand. I think it is fun to shop for different brands (as long as the SNAP and not velcro). And I avoid pockets like the plague.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#17 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM

I have always used the Bummis and Prowrap covers with prefolds. I didn't know where to start either, so I bought the starter kit from Bummis. I now have a few friends that cd, and I have seen their diapers in action. I have been testing out different prototypes, and I am now sewing my own pocket cd's based on the info and links I found in the diaper making forum on mdc.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#18 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapellucida View Post
I am a fitted under wool girl myself. I use prefolds with lots fo stuffing under arsitocrats for bed. And I don't own lots of any one brand. I think it is fun to shop for different brands (as long as the SNAP and not velcro). And I avoid pockets like the plague.

Same idea here... I hated the few diaper covers that were velcro :. They scared DS and I really did not think that they were any faster. We have a mixed lot of diapers, green mountian, sugar peas, fuzzi bunz, prefolds and I could go on. At the end of the day I could get rid of everything except my; prefolds, wool soaker (2), and a good cover (3). I have two that I like stacinator (the one with pul and fleece legs) and prowrap (snap) with gussetts . All of the other diapers/covers I could do without. *** don't forget at least 5 snappi's. I find them EVERYWHERE. I think that I have 2 in my car:

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#19 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM

just have to brag about the cutest diaper I won in an auction! Argh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
#20 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM

I have tried just about all of them and this time I am sticking with fuzzi bunz and prefolds. I would love to do just fuzzi bunz but with 2 I can't afford that many diapers. The best thing for me was to buy a trial package with like 5 different ones and then I would buy a diaper here, a diaper there, or if I found any FFS I would snatch it. So I have tried many and fuzzi bunz are the ones I like the best.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#21 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM

I just had to share my shock with everyone!

I just opened the book about Pregnancy and Birth that the nurse at my OB's office gave us when we went for the screening a couple weeks ago. THey actually talk about cloth dipes and show some folding methods!!!

ok, that's all.
#22 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
just have to brag about the cutest diaper I won in an auction! Argh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Cute! What a steal!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page