What are you doing for headaches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting some killer headaches and don't really know what to do about them. How are you mamas coping with yours?

Thanks for all the great advice. I feel like I am constantly asking for (and getting) help!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#2 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM

I've been having migraines off and on since I got pregnant - the kind that last for days on end. Since I can't take my regular medication, I'm using tylenol (sparingly), ice packs, dark rooms, baths and if it gets really bad a small glass of caffinated soda. Good luck!
#3 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM

Grant you that I'm not having migraines, but I've noticed that if I eat a handfull of dark chocolate covered almonds, that makes a noticeable difference. The caffeine maybe?

Hoping you feel better very soon.
#4 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've noted that cola helps, but I'm already drinking quite a bit of it...

I may break down and bust out the Tylenol next time a bad one hits.

Thanks, mamas.

#5 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Not taking anything, but try closing my eye and resting for a while.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#6 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Tylenol, nux vomica, eat more protein, drink more water (like LOTS of water) all work for me

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#7 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Lot's and lot's of water! It could be dehydration.

Blessed mama of four
::
#8 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM

You should not be eating or drinking caffine. It dehyydrates you more. Bulk up on water and understand you'll have caffine withdrawls for a few days. Stick it out. Get some extra virgin olive oil, maybe a tablespoon or so, and some pure pepppermint oil extract. Add 3-5 drops of the peppermint oil to the olive oil and rub on your temples, forehead, bridge of your nose, neck, shoulders and base of your skull. You know, all those places where you feel pain and pressure when a heachace hits. It's important that you use it only on your head/neck area. Peppermint can cause uterine contractions but only if you rub it across your stomach. The idea is, just keep it as far away from the uterus as possible and you'll be just fine.
#9 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the peppermint idea! I've got all the ingredients right here!

#10 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM

I get migraines but have also had sinus headaches with this pregnancy. I try and treat the sinus issues first - saline spray, boil water on the stove to increase humidity, eat something and drink more water. If that doesn't work then I try a bag of frozen peas on my head (and alternate to my neck), warming my hands up in warm/hot water, same thing for my feet.

If it is horrible I'll take tylenol and drink a soda. Most of the time those work. If they don't then I know it is a true migraine and I then just try and stay as comfortable as I can until it goes away. Rest, dark room, not a lot of movements, that kind of stuff.

The one good thing is that with my first pregnancy my headaches went away after my first trimester and didn't come back until labor (that part sucked but the six months without headaches was a dream).
#11 of 18 Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Had a killer headache today and after around 12 hrs broke done a took a tylenol.

Lets just say right now I am thanking the universe for such pain relief. I am hoping I can avoid any such headaches again.

I think it may have been triggered from two nights of dd waking up and me feeling the lack of sleep.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#12 of 18 Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Oh my I was so afraid since someone gave me some peppermint oil that I had done something horrible and gosh if didn't work so well! I was bummed I wouldn't be able to use it. This is on my shopping list thank you! I get the most horrible migraines, medications/hospital trips and all! Am so glad this is ok to still take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunQueen View Post
Get some extra virgin olive oil, maybe a tablespoon or so, and some pure pepppermint oil extract. Add 3-5 drops of the peppermint oil to the olive oil and rub on your temples, forehead, bridge of your nose, neck, shoulders and base of your skull. You know, all those places where you feel pain and pressure when a heachace hits. It's important that you use it only on your head/neck area. Peppermint can cause uterine contractions but only if you rub it across your stomach. The idea is, just keep it as far away from the uterus as possible and you'll be just fine.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#13 of 18 Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 AM

I have had terrible headaches during previous pregnancies (not yet with this one) and have used the following, depending on the severity of the pain: drinking lots of water, lying down in a dark room, hot baths, caffeine, tylenol, and yes, for migraines, vicodin. I'm hoping not to have to resort to drugs during this pregnancy but if I get migraines, I will. Otherwise, I cannot function and care for my other children.
#14 of 18 Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Rosemary oil on the temples and Fiorecet if absolute unreleting migraines.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#15 of 18 Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM

I have been getting really really bad headaches. So bad I can hardly move my head. I have tried: drinking lots of water as a first resort, soaking for up to 2 hours in a warm bath, a couple of tylenol (as reccomended by my dr.), and a small cup of coffee when all that fails. Even then I end up being bedridden and soaking for a couple of hours in a bath 2 or 3 times a day.

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#16 of 18 Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Tylenol and lots and lots and lots of water!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#17 of 18 Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 AM

I would try the peppermint oil as suggested above. I've been on imitrex and relpax in the past - just to name a few and I was amazed at how quickly the peppermint oil worked. I've had to deal with migraines for close to 20 years now and had I known that was all it took ... wow I'm so grateful to have finally found something that works! And annoyed that regular doctors don't recommend something so simple and non-invasive... who knows what all that crap drugs have done to me!

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#18 of 18 Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Tylenol (they make a rapid release gel pill now that actually DOES work faster IMO) and laying down with an ice pack tucked inside my pillow. I have had migraines my entire life and the hormones in pregnancy in the first trimester can really exacerbate them. Taking a nap helps... if your sleep's been disturbed lately (getting up to pee, insomnia, etc.) that will contribute as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page