Is it too early for me to ask for opinions on a name? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I have this neurotic thing where I need to have a boy and girl name picked out early on. So we came up with boy name this time around, but we're having trouble with the girl name.

DH wants to honor his mother (who passed due to breast cancer) by using her name in the middle spot. Her name was Colleen. I wanted to use the name Scarlett, but I'm not sure how Scarlett Colleen sounds.

What do yall think? Yes or no to Scarlett Colleen? Can you suggest some other first names that would go with Colleen as a middle?

Thanks for humoring me...talking about baby names and planning takes my mind off the worry and makes me feel that I will get a take home baby this August!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#2 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 07:48 PM

I love it. Both names are gorgeous.
#3 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 PM

I think that sounds nice, I also think that names with meaning will grow on you because you are emotionally attached to them. My daughter is Madison Vivian (Vivian after my grandmother) and at first it sounded kind of weird to me but now I really, really love the whole name.

What is the first letter of your last name? I think that makes a difference sometimes.
#4 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM

I don't like the sound of Scarlett Colleen by itself*, but when I put imaginary last names with it, it sounds good.

(*Scarlett Colleen by itself sounds like a spandex-wearing villain from a low grade comic book.)
#5 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM

It's two great tastes that taste great together. An unexpected combination that you might not have otherwise put together, but a great pairing nonetheless.

My kids have my parents' Eisenhower-era names (think "Frank" and "Joyce," or "Edwin" and "Carol," or similar) as their middle names. These names would NOT have been on the radar otherwise, but because of the family connection, they're great names.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#6 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Sapphire! Think 3 syllable last name

Lola, the first letter is H. Name kind of sounds like Harrington? Trying to find something that rhymes, LOL!

Thanks for the opinions, guys!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June

#7 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM

I actually like it together - it's very eloquent!
#8 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Rach I love that name!! I tend to pull towards older names from the twenties, like Evelyn & Stella. I think it's just dainty & ladylike

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#9 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM

I like it and I think it's important that names have special meaning. It's nice that you are honoring your mil. Also try to remember that FULL names are rarely said usually it's just first and last. So if you like Scarlett with your last name I think you are good.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#10 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM

I like it! Esp with a 3 syllable H last name, sounds good. [[It didn't sound so good with the first 3 syllable word I tried to think of to try out (which is actually FOUR syllables lol) 'macaroni'. I am really losing it--gee wonder why that name didn't sound good-- Scarlett Colleen Macaroni? LOL.]] But seriously, I love the name.
#11 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Not in your ddc, but popping in to say that I don't think the way the two names sound together should have any bearing on what you choose. No one will be calling her by the two names together, most people won't even know her middle name, so go wild and pick whatever you want.

But in the instances where you might actually use both names together ("Scarlett Colleen! No rollerblading in the house!") those names sound just fine.
#12 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
I am really losing it--gee wonder why that name didn't sound good-- Scarlett Colleen Macaroni? LOL.
LOL! You are cracking me up!

Thanks guys. Yall are right about it not really mattering about if they go together. Zinemama...LOL, you're right too...that's about the only time both names get used, right?

I'm glad we can use DH's mom's name. I never got to meet her, she died when he was in high school. I'm sure she would have been a wonderful mother in law.

#13 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
DH wants to honor his mother (who passed due to breast cancer) by using her name in the middle spot. Her name was Colleen. I wanted to use the name Scarlett, but I'm not sure how Scarlett Colleen sounds.
are there any variations on Colleen?
You can honour someone by something other than their first name (often we don't even like our first names) like a place she was born or something she did..... okay maybe Scarlett Nurse Johnson sounds aweful...

okay axe that most of these variations are not nice sounding..
Colene, Coleen, Collena, Collene, Collie, Colline, Colly, Kolleen, Kolline, Celena, Celina, Celine, Clemmie

I do like Scarlett

8 might be enough
#14 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 PM

Even in reverse it sounds nice, Colleen Scarlett

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#15 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Even in reverse it sounds nice, Colleen Scarlett
I was thinking that too and you could just call her Scarlett.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#16 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM

I think it sounds great together. The fictional Scarlett O'Hara was Irish of course and Colleen is an Irish name. Perfect if you ask me.
#17 of 18 Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 AM

I really like Scarlett and I think it sounds fine with Colleen.
#18 of 18 Old 01-26-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I can scratch worrying about a name off my list now. DH said we'd just figure it out once we found out if it was a boy or a girl, but darn it that's not good enough for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page