College Grads, what is your Degree? And do you use it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a few interesting questions,
**Do you have a College Degree (what level, Bachelors, Masters, PHD...)?

**If so do you utilize your degree in your job or are you just paying the college loans right now and taking time off (possibly forever) to be with the babes?

I always think about this as my loan statement comes in every month (it's ALOT!!! like HUNDREDS) and I stay home with my little one thinking I may NEVER go back. It just seems too important to be home with my babe and we can make ends meet on my hubbies salary so it just feels right. How is everyone else living their life?

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I should answer my own questions

I have a BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I am a SAHM so I am just paying the loans at the moment (and possibly forever)

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#3 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM

I have a bachelors in English with an emphasis in Technical and Professional Writing/a minor in computer graphics and biology.

I also have a masters in business communications with an emphasis in project management.

I think I'm using my degrees but I feel I can more. I'm transferring to a new team within my organization and feel that I will have the opportunity to do more with them. I feel pretty confident about that.

I sometimes worry that I'm not getting paid enough for the degree in terms of salary but who knows. I would love to be a SAHM and work part time but fear that I would go mad because I'm so used to working hard. I'm learning to scale back before the baby gets here though. Gotta have time for my peanut!

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#4 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM

I have a BA in English and an MSEd in Elementary Education.

As a SAHM, I really do use both these degrees every day; unfortunately, I don't get paid for it.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#5 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM

I have a B.A. in Psychology and am working on my M.S. in Psychology. I am not currently working, but I plan to go back to work when the kids are in school and I want to get into counseling children.

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#6 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM

I have a BA in Anthropology and a JD. I practiced law for about 10 years (full-time and then part-time after my first 2 kids) but am a SAHM for now. I do plan to practice law again one day but I'm not sure of my timetable.
#7 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Never mind

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#8 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM

I have an associates. At the end of this semester I will be 4 credit hours (2 courses) from a bachelor's.

The plan is to take the 3 credit hour course online this fall, then return to school for the 1 credit hour course in Spring.

The challenge with the 1 credit hour course is that it will be my senior project design course that is actually more like 10 credit hours of work--but only meets two hours a week.

Whee!

I think I'd better get as much done this summer/fall as possible.

Dh and I plan for the person who can get the best job (we'll be graduating at the same time) to work and the other person to stay home. Since Aka_chan will be at least 8 months old, that should be workable either way.
#9 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM

I have a BS in Education - with an emphasis on on communication sciences and an master's in Deaf Education. I worked as a teacher of the Deaf for 6 years but I am now a SAHM. I use my skills as a teacher everyday just without pay. I don't see myself going back to work for a long time and when I do, I don't see going back in the same capacity. I won't work before all my kids are in school and even then probably only party time. I want to be home when my kids get home.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#10 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 PM

I have my B. S. of Education in Special Education. I teach 7th grade special ed, and I love it! Since we can't really afford for me to stay home, I'm glad I have a job I love. Plus, summers off are great, and about one 3-day weekend a month, winter break, spring break...it's a pretty nice set up!
#11 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM

BA in Spanish
MA in education
PHD in education (in May)

Next year, I'll be an over-educated mama of 2 under 2! In a year or two, I'd like to teach at a small, chill university. I hope to be able to work a lot from home and find some balance.
#12 of 36 Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 PM

BBA - Bachelor in Business

I did use it when I worked for the 3 years or so after college and before my "maternity leave" that ended up not ending

Right now I am a SAHM but I do plan to go back to work when the kiddos go into school, so I'll use it again.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#13 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM

I have a Bachelors of Fine Arts (Sculpture concentration). I sorta used it for several years after college, I worked as a fine art gallery manager for 3 years, then opened my own fine art gallery and ran it for 3 years.

Then DH and I decided we needed more finacial stability and benefits for DS so I went to work as an insurance agent (got licensed for that.) I am happliy a SAHM now and plan to stay that way for hopefully 3 more years.

I would like to get back into the art business, either at a museum or gallery, but won't own one again. Hopefully when all the kiddos are in school.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#14 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM

I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and an MS in Special Education. I am an administrator at a school for children with special needs and I use them both every day. I thankfully was able to avoid student loans by working my butt off and ocassionally "selling my soul" to organizations willing to pay for my schooling while I worked for them.

I will return to work after the baby is born. DH will be a SAHD. I love my job(most days). Him, not so much. He is also incredibly patient and volunteered to stay home if we had kids while we were still dating. Otherwise, I would be struggling to find balance between working and trying my hardest to avoid FT daycare/childcare provided by someone other than family. Now I will get to teach at work and at home.

''''

#15 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 AM

I have a BA in French/ Int'l Business & a MA in Teaching. I did teach for a few years before we had kiddos. I am a SAHM now. I don't regret it.
We use French a little daily in our home and I plan to home school, so I know the teaching degree will get great use- does already. Later on, I have thought about teaching in a private school when I can no longer HS all subjects. That way I can get a tuition break for the kiddos and get good education for them. We shall see.
I do have some graduate school loan left.

I don't mind if I never again work outside the home while children are living in it. Mainly because as an mom with a higher education, my children reap the benefits of it.
#16 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 AM

I have a BA in Native American Studies and a JD. I currently work for the state of California as an attorney, but will be taking 6 months maternity leave. Then my DP will be a SAHM while I go back to work.

Number # 2 due 5/19/2011.
#17 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 AM

I have a BA in Rhetoric and a JD. I intend to practice full time after the new baby is born, but am currently a hyperemetic slug. I took some time off, and we did fine, but I like to work.
#18 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solejean View Post
... I currently work for the state of California as an attorney, ...
I also worked for the state of Califormia (after 4 years of private practice). You aren't by chance a fellow Deputy Attorney General, are you?
#19 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 AM

I have a B.S. & M.S. in Systems Engineering (like Operations Research not IS) and an MBA.
I worked for 7 years before kids then went more and more part time as I kept having kids.
Right now I consult a little bit just when my mom is available to babysit. Usually about 10 hours a week give or take. It is a nice break and good to keep in the industry should I want to go back to working a bit more as the kids get into school.
#20 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 AM

I have a BA in political science and a minor in microbiology. Right now I'm a SAHM to two very busy people

I can't say that I use my degree much. (Did do some political stumping for some local candidates last Nov...) I do read studies published in journals that interest me from time to time. I do not regret for a moment getting my education nor taking time off to raise my family.

"To everything there is a season..."
#21 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 AM

I have a BA in Horticultural Sciences, with a minor in Design. My hubby was in a serious accident and needed major surgery... so I picked up the slack and grabbed the closest job I could so that I can run home and nurse ds on my breaks. I'm managing a flower shop, and so my horticulture and design skills as well as natural artistic loves are coming in VERY handy. I love flowers, plants, oh I'll admit it I even love weeds. (I can't wait for dandelion bouquets from my ds )

Once this baby is born I'm going to stay home with my kiddos, but for now I'm happy to be able to help provide in a time of need and get a new experience under my belt, while dh is getting to bond with ds. (I miss him when I'm at work tho )

Wow, that was wordy! My apologies!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#22 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Gosh all everyone seems to have degrees beyond a bachelors. Very heartwarming. I wish I could be a SAHM but I'm single and doubt that will ever happen. I envy you women who have worked and then decided to stay home.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#23 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM

I have a double BA in Marketing and Management. Before my first son was born, I was a corporate party planner. I loved my job, and I worked very hard to get where I was. I was always career minded and never thought about staying home. When he was born, I changed my tune and shocked everyone from my boss to my husband and myself when I quit and decided to stay home. I do keep my contacts and resume current by volunteering with local nonprofits (a lot of fundraising and grant writing) in the case that I would suddenly have to return to the workforce. Otherwise, we will be homeschooling so I have no plans on returning soon. When I do, I know I want to return to school to become a licensed AODA counselor prior to returning to work.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#24 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM

LOL I have an AA in Liberal Arts, AA in Early childhood Education, a BA in Biology and half a MA becasue of baby making I am not using any of it to make money although I did do some tutoring for a while. But mainly it comes in handy when I am helping my homeschooled highschooler

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#25 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

i have a BA in English (non-fiction writing emphasis) with a minor in Women's/Gender Studies, and a JD.

i haven't officially used the JD at all,really, i never took the bar and never plan to practice regular law. i enjoyed the coursework, and i did it for my parents.

i do use the english degree a lot--i do write a lot of articles, my own advertising, workbooks, and so on. i do a lot of writing.

i wish that i'd just gone into teaching yoga right after college like i wanted to. i wanted to spend three months and $3,000 to get the education (which also would have given me a massage therapy degree as well as a yoga certification), and then start teaching yoga.

instead, i decided to please my father, who wanted me to get a "real" job of some sort, via a graduate degree. i was in an expository writing class my last semester, with a whole bunch of "prelaw" folks and i could write and debate them under the table. so, i thought "If these knuckleheads can go to law school, so can i."

i was one of two people in the class who actually got into law school, oddly enough. i didn't realize it was so competitive. i just assumed i'd get in, and i did. and i got a scholarship for my first year.

but, once in school, i realized that while i liked studying law, i didn't like practicing law (i tried mock trials and later worked for the environmental law clinic in m school--one that litigated). yeah, i didn't like it.

during the same time, i was in another apprenticeship (by this time, my third over six years) to teach yoga and started teaching part time.

in my second year of law school, my good friend passed away (she was only 26), and i had a very "carpe diem" moment. i just realized that i didn't want to practice law, but felt i had to because of the education.

i thought to leave school then, but my dad convinced me to at least get the degree and to work for the law clinic to see if i'd like the actual practice. I agreed, but ocntinued to teach yoga.

after graduation, i decided not to take the bar, as i really didn't want to practice law. instead, i worked for a company that was creating a database for lawyers of local cases, and so i was a "legal analyst." this was work-from-home and it fit around my yoga schedule nicely.

after doing that for a summer (and finding it terribly tedious), i decided to stop that job altogether. i was just teaching yoga.

admittedly, i'm angry with mself for giving into my dad, and i'm angry with my dad for pressuring me. for the first 5 years after graduation, it was constantly "you could be like Ed, you know, that TV show with the bowling-alley lawyer." and i said "no, i can't. i don't like practicing law."

finally, he was golfing with a friend one day who is a lawyer. my dad explained my situation and his disappointment. but the lawyer was cool. he said "if you love the work, you don't mind working 90 hours a week or more. and that's what it takes. if you hate the work, then you become miserable and bitter, and you never get ahead. it doesn't matter what the job. At least she's happy, and she's doing work that she loves."

and, i'm good at what i do and i'm successful.

looking at my loan payments is painful, but we'll pay it off soon enough.
#26 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM

I have a BA in Math and a BA in Sociology. I can balance a checkbook I don't use either of them now, and probably won't, but I think that going to college and getting them made me a more well-rounded person

And women's colleges rock lol

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#27 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM

I have a degree in Social Work. I am a SAHM, and although I don't get paid, I think the knowledge comes in SO handy with parenting a pre-schooler! And dealing with dh sometimes. hehe Honestly, I don't see myself getting back into that field. I am thinking that when dd and future kid are in school FT, I would like to get a PT job with the school district as a parapro or teaching asst. So, I would definitely be utilizing my degree there, though its not a requirement for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
I would love to be a SAHM and work part time but fear that I would go mad because I'm so used to working hard. I'm learning to scale back before the baby gets here though. Gotta have time for my peanut!

Monique, don't let that keep you from being a SAHM. You would *definitely* work your heiny off!
#28 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM

My degree is in English and secondary education. I write fulltime, so I use the English part of the degree every day. I don't officially use the secondary ed part, but the education know-how often comes in handy just in everyday life. After our first little one arrives in August, I'll keep some of my best writing clients, but will mostly be a SAHM. We haven't decided on home school vs. other schooling, but if we don't homeschool, I may write more once kiddos are in school.
#29 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM

I have a BS in Early Childhood Ed, which I am using every day with the littles...although I'm sure not getting a paycheck! I did have a fulfilling career before the boys were born, during which DH and I were very aggressive about paying back my loans. So it was all paid back before I stayed home. He is really good with money and actually worked full time in college to pay as he went, and financed his education all by himself. He only had a small loan upon graduation and paid it back quickly.

Last year I went back to school at night to earn a certificate in massage therapy, so that I could work part time indefinately. I don't see myself ever going back to my previous career, and this enables me to be with the kids full time and still make a little money too.

Always hard choices, but DH and feel really comfortable with our decision...I love being home with the boys and he loves that I am home with them.
#30 of 36 Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post

Monique, don't let that keep you from being a SAHM. You would *definitely* work your heiny off!
If I were married I would take 6 months of maternity leave but I'm single and aren't expecting (or anticipating) the father to help me with too many bills. I just can't afford too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page