What are you doing in regards to caffiene - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still drink several cups of tea a day

eta double tea bag IKES

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#2 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM

I still have a little each day.

When pregnant with DD, I cut caffeine completely and immediately began suffering from migraines. Doc told me to drink a Dr Pepper a day! He said there was no proof that a little caffeine would be harmful and it would make for a happier mama.

As I've said before, humans are a hardy species.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#3 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM

For the most part, I've cut it out...I actually started drinking decaf coffee a while ago to avoid the jitters, so it was an easy transition. Who knows what to think about all the new studies that are out. My mom had caffeine the whole time she was pregnant with me, and I turned out normal
Sometimes, I think pregnancy is hard enough that you must indulge yourself in what makes you comfortable, to a point.
Now, if I could just get my sugar consumption under control!
#4 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 AM

I stopped drinking any, since the recent study on caffiene and miscarriage. It probably is less of a concern now that I am at the end of the first trimester, but I have lost my taste for coffee or tea anyway. If I want soda, I have a little Sprite or ginger ale.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#5 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 PM

I dropped my morning cup of coffee right away (utterly lost the taste for it) but haven't cut out caffeine altogether. I still drink a daily soda (or two .) Yesterday and today I was sort of craving tea, but when I tried it, the caffeine was really too much and I couldn't even finish a single cup.

The study talked about caffeine in amounts greater than, I think, 200 mg. A single soda (not that I'm arguing it's health food) is like 35 or less.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#6 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 12:25 PM

I usually love coffee, but with all my pg's lose the taste for it with m/s. I switched to green tea for about a week this time, because I was so sluggish in the mornings. I'll still have some if I feel like I need a boost. I drink sweet tea (here in NC ) sometimes. I had a half a cup yesterday, though and it seemed to be a bit much for me. I do know that caffeine affects your absorbtion of calcium so too much is not good. I guess I'm pretty much off caffeine at this point. With my 2nd pg I drank sweet tea almost every afternoon. With my first pg I was pretty much off caffeine as well.
#7 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

I have as much caffeine now as I ever did. Um, like on a high-caffeine day (which rarely happen) that'd be like 2 cans of cola and a chocolate bar. So <100mg.

A normal day would be a glass of black tea--or 40 to 60mg.
#8 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
The study talked about caffeine in amounts greater than, I think, 200 mg. A single soda (not that I'm arguing it's health food) is like 35 or less.
Unless it's diet. Those have more caffeine.
#9 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Stopped drinking tea. Have had an occasional hot chocolate, made at home.

Socially I would have tea I suppose, but I just haven't wanted any.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#10 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM

I was having about 2 cups of coffee a day until I read the new study. Now I am down to about three-quarters of a cup each day. I occasionally have a soda but am trying to phase that out too.
#11 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM

I still drink caffeine. Every pregnancy I vow to give it up and every pregnancy I end up drinking it the entire time.

Blessed mama of four
::
#12 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 PM

I drink a cup or two of strong black tea. It really helps with the nausea. That latest study was pretty crappy- a retrospective of women who've had miscarriages.

I'm a big moderation person anyhow, though. I drink probably two glasses of wine each pregnancy spread out over 4 or 5 occasions after the first tri. I don't really take the listeriosis risk, but I'm a veggie and do plenty of puking without worrying about food poisoning.
#13 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 07:14 PM

I have almost entirely cut out soda. If I want one I just get a few drinks out of Dh's cup and that satisfies me. I will drink tea when I have time to make it, but lately that seems like never. I'm ok with eating a piece of chocolate or a hot chocolate now and again, but am mostly just sticking to plenty of water. I almost always feel dehydrated lately so the more water the better. I think the air at work is really dry?

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#14 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM

I have almost given it up. When my headaches get out of control and nothing else will help, I will have a small cup. I had about one a week last month for a total of 4 all month.

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#15 of 36 Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Every morning I have 3 cups of 1/3 hot skim milk, 1/3 decaf, 1/3 regular coffee. This means I am actually only having one cup of real coffee, but makes me feel like I am drinking coffee all morning.
#16 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

I had been having one cup of coffee a day before reading the study. I decided after reading it that I was not comfortable consuming any caffeine, I know the risk is supposed to be for 200 mg or greater but it also sounded like ANY amount was perhaps hard on the fetus in ways they have not determined yet. You know, if 200 mg can provoke miscarriage, then what can 100 mg do? But I also knew from my first oregnancy, when I abruptly cut out coffee due to morning sickness, that doing so would give me severe migraines. So I very gradually cut down over about 10 days, to 3/4 cup, then 1/2 cup, then 1/4 cup. As of a week ago I'm caffiene-free, I've had a couple mild headaches but nothing too bad.
#17 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 PM

I LOVED my coffee before getting pregnant, but have lost any desire for it now.

I'll have a cup of tea in the morning (regular black or earl grey), as well as the occasional chocolate bar

...I'm definitely an, "everything in moderation", kind of gal!

oh ya, and I'll have another cup of tea during the day to help with a particularly stubborn headache.

charlene
#18 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 PM

I had cut it out for a while but couldn't deal with the normal early pregnancy fatigue so I'm back to my 2 cups of PG Tips a day. My gosh I love it! I will probably cut it out during the last trimester.
#19 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

i suppose you could say that i'm not doing anything in regards to caffine.

first, i don't drink a lot of caffinated beverages anyway. i do drink a good amount of tea, but a lot of that is herbal. and since i've been pregnant, i actually haven't had much of a taste for any kind of tea--so i've been drinking water with lime in it.

but occassiuonally, i want an iced tea, so i've had that. i make two kinds--one out of Lady Grey (caffinated) and one out of Rooibos (red bush) which i think is naturally decaf but i can't remember.

typically, i have one glass and i'm done.

i think i've had 3-4 glasses of iced tea, and 2 cups of regular tea since end of november.
#20 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM

hey mamas ( im from sept group but due late aug early sept so i can respond here right )
Anyways...
I have cut out coffee all together because even the smell makes me gag !
I still drink tea.. maybe a cup every few days
Ive had my share of miscarriages and I cant help but think they were somehow related to caff... My last one I didnt stop my coffee addiction and miscarried at 15 weeks....
This could however be completely unrelated but I don't like to take chances..Especially when my heart tells me something.
#21 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Trying to give up the pop but still have at least one every other day. Other than, I stick with water and natural fruit juice.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#22 of 36 Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM

I can't wait to drink my cup of coffee again in the morning. I am too sick to think about it at this point though!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#23 of 36 Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Caffine is a narcotic and in Some other countries its controlled to some degree. Just ask anyone who comsumes it even semi regularly how hard it is to stop. There's plenty of stories in this thread alone! When I gave up caffine I was drinking 1-3 cups of coffee in the morning (good ol Louisiana chicory!) and the rest of the say I drank Coke, Mountain Dew or Sweet Ice Tea. Needless to say, I was an addict. The first day I decided to stop I had one cup of coffee and water the rest of the day. By 8:00pm I was on the bathroom floor puking my guts out! It was the most horrible case of withdrawl I'd even expirienced. From then on, I tapered off with my coffee. I still limited myself to one cup but drank water the rest of the day. Eventually I began to mix my coffee w/ 'herbal' coffee until I had weened off of it.

I never thought I would have a clear head in the morning with no coffee and all but after the first week or two I found that to not be true. I was clearer and more refreshed than ever.
#24 of 36 Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM

I don't handle caffeine well at all, so it's not really an issue. But recently I've had wicked migraines and I notice a swig or 2 of Coke is enough to help knock them away temporarily (going on 5 days now I've had them). It's so strange b/c I used to love Mountain Dew probably about 12 years ago, and I tried a few sips of it about 2 years ago and I thought I was having an anxiety attack; same with sweet tea - it's a southern thing, right Cajun I'm a big, big water drinker now, probably 10-12 glasses a day.

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#25 of 36 Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Caffine is a narcotic.
It's a central nervous system stimulant, afaik.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#26 of 36 Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM

I do the best I can....somedays it's a cup or two, somedays none at all. It depends on my mood, my hubby, and my kids as to whether I feel like I need it! LOL
#27 of 36 Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 AM

I have maybe one or two caffeinated drinks a week. I had less in the first trimester.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#28 of 36 Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 AM

I didn't realize caffine helped with headaches. I suffer from some bads now.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#29 of 36 Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
I didn't realize caffine helped with headaches. I suffer from some bads now.
Start with a big glass of water. At least for me the increased headaches are because of dehydration making my blood vessels constrict. If that doesn't work, a bit of caffeine dilates your blood vessels to relieve pressure headaches.
#30 of 36 Old 02-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Caffeine? I'm drinking it!

I'm having less than I did pre-pregnancy probably, but coffee 1-3 times a week and a Dr Pepper 2-4 times a week, never on the same day though. The coffee, umm, kept things moving esp during the 1st tri. My care providers are fine with the quantity that I'm consuming, and I figure everything in moderation, including moderation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page