High risk first trimester screening results - Am I the only one?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't find any posts about this but maybe I'm just not looking right. We had our first trimester screening (ultrasound combined with blood test) this past monday feb 4th and I got the call back today that my results came back "high risk". They said I had a 1 out of 160 chance that my baby could have down syndrome. I'm more on the optimistic side thinking that I have a 159 out of 160 chance that my baby will NOT have down syndrome. Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you had similar results?? How are you feeling about it?? Any advice at all?? My doctor called me back because I called her for answers of course and she said she sees test results like this all the time but has never delivered a baby with down syndrome in the whole 4 years that she's been practicing in California, and she delivers in my areas high risk baby hospital. I also know this test has a good amount of false positives, the perinatologist said 5% but my OB said 15-35%. Either way, down syndrome or not, we would not terminate the pregnancy so invasive testing (amniocentesis) to find out for sure is not an option for us. But I just want some guidance or reassuring words from anybody else who might be experiencing this or experienced it in other pregnancies! Thanks!!
#2 of 9 Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM

No experience, but I just wanted to comment and say ((((hugs)))) I hope you can find someone who has btdt and can encourage you.
#3 of 9 Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Hey, I just did the nuchal translucency test & bloodwork yesterday and came back with a 1:70 Down syndrome risk. Realistically, this means a less than 2% chance, so I'm trying to be optimistic. Last time, I was told there was a 1:60 chance of one of the twins having Down syndrome and they're both fine. I went into the test hoping to be reassured, and I certainly wasn't reassured, but I'm trying to stay positive. We're not doing the CVS or amnio either but will do the level II ultrasound at 18 to 20 weeks. I don't know if we'll do the quad/integrated screen or not.

Anyway, I know how you feel. Just try to remember that your actual risk remains incredibly low!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#4 of 9 Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM

my brother was told his son would have down syndrome and then he didn't. Then he was told he was deaf and he wasn't. Those tests are wrong all the time

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#5 of 9 Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 PM

This was my exact scenario with my last pregnancy! After the positive blood test (also 1:150 or something based on a high hcg) We had the genetic counseling and the high-def u/s to r/o heart defects etc. But, we refused the amnio because the risk from the procedure was something we weren't willing to chance. Everything worked out in the end and we decided not to have the testing at all this time because of the high rate of false positives.
mama! It is a stressful bit of information even if it doesn't change how much you want the baby!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#6 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 AM

These tests have a very high FALSE positive.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#7 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 AM

...Not to mention that the whole notion of what's "positive" is sort of odd, because a less than 1% chance is still considered "positive," whereas for most people "positive" would mean, at the very least, "likely."

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#8 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 03:05 PM

I haven't had screening tests that stated I was high risk, but I do have a child with Down syndrome. We opted out of screenings in his pregnancy.

While the odds are in favor of your not having Down syndrome, if you would like to learn more about life with Down syndrome I'd be happy to answer questions through the board or in pm's. I can also give you websites to look at, too. I blog about my son (and the rest of my life) and you can check us out by clicking on my name in my siggie.

Since you said you will decline diagnositic testing, you might consider a Level II sono to see if there are any markers or heart concerns. I just had a regular sono with my son and no markers were detected & his heart defect (it's minor) was not seen either. He is a very healthy little boy, so there were no red flags on his sono.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#9 of 9 Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM

I had similar results with my nuchal during my last pregnancy. I am the type of person who just had to know in order to prepare so we did have an amnio. My baby did not end up having Down Syndrome. The odds of your baby having DS are still very small.

If you do not wish to pursue invasive testing, I'd do what the PP suggested --have a detailed u/s to check for markers. Then, if you don't get more information, I'd hope for a healthy baby (and you will probably have one) and also prepare for the possibility of embracing and loving a child with DS (who can still be healthy). Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page