Breastfeeding mom's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who is still bf'ing their LO? My 19 month old is still going strong and I am soooo sore! I was thinking that once I'm nearing the 2nd tri that it would start to get better, but its not!! I'm totally thinking of weaning him and I really wanted to do child-led. He is only nursing 3 times a day, so not bad, but its still so painful to get through those times. I know its not his latch and I know its not a supply issue, its just pg soreness I think. I am going to ask my midwife when I go in and see her on Monday. Hopefully some are feeling the same as me and can tell me that it does get better!!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#2 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 AM

I'm still nursing my 2 year old twins but we are cutting back. We night-weaned them and they only nurse a few times a day now.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM

I feel your pain, mama. We're bfing. My ds is 18mo. He bfs about every 2 hours. This is my second pg while bfing ds and it gets better and worse and better and...

I can definitely say, it will be less painful once your lo is born. How's that?

For my last pg (which ended last fall), my nipples were incredibly painful the entire time, but I stuck it out and kept bfing. There is nothing better than a nursing toddler to help once your milk comes back in. I never got engorged and it was fun just to see my little guy doing the happy breast dance when he realized "milkies" was back.

I found "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and "Mothering you Nursing Toddler" to be really helpful reads. Have you read these? There are lots of strategies for handling the soreness, heebie jeebies, etc, that can come up. If you've made it to 19mos, you're probably already reading in the bfing beyond infancy board, right? Those mamas who've btdt really helped me when I was in so much pain and weighing the options about weaning. I really just needed the support to get me through it. I'm not trying to urge one way or the other, but just to let you know, just about every pg, bfing mom has these issues come up. It was nice to know that if I weaned while pg, it wasn't necessarily weaning forever, too. And that there are different degrees of weaning, which it sounds like you might be utilizing? Kinda takes the pressure off when it hurts, having it not be all or nothing.

This pg, knock on wood, I haven't had sensitive nipples and my milk supply hasn't dipped. But, if I do have these, I'm still determined to keep going.
For ds and me, I feel like bfing while pg is another challenge along our bfing journey and it will be so worth it when we move onto the next one. It's such a short time we get to share this special bond.

hth. Good luck to you

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
#4 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Still nursing my 3 yr old. His latch is terrible and makes nursing hard, but he usually just nurses before and after nap so I suck it up. I like the idea of him weaning before the baby arrives/before pg gets in 3rd trimester, but am worried that it will be really challanging to get him to nap. I need that downtime!

I tandem nursed for 3 years and would like to nurse my last baby solo. I enjoyed the experience of TNing, but also enjoyed the one-on-one I had with DS1. I guess we will just see what happens!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#5 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Still nursing my 10-month-old here. No problems except I suspect it may be the bfing that is making me insanely hungry! Not that I am complaining though. It also seems to be keeping my weight gain healthy and my blood sugar low. My plan is to tandem nurse and I am so inspired by those who have gone before me.

One thing I have noticed though is the prevalent misconception that women cannot nurse while preg. I can't tell you how many times people have commented "are you supposed to be doing that/is that ok?" I kind of enjoy having the opportunity to educate them!
#6 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 05:39 PM

I'm nursing my 17 month old and my 3 year old. My 17 month old daughter nurses quite a few times a day, but the 3 year old only nurses every day or two. It was harder to wrap my mind around tandem nursing before I got pg with my DD. Now that I'm already nursing 2, the idea of nursing another is just natural.
#7 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would rather not tandem nurse. I really have enjoyed having that special time for me and baby in the past and am looking forward to that again. Sooo, my 17 mo is still nursing, but only once a day (at 5 in the morning ). It is rather uncomfortable for me and I hope to drop that soon. I had planned to nurse at least until 18 mths so I guess I'll be getting there. But now that I find myself surprisingly pg again I don't really want to go further. Just my 2 cents.
#8 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM

iam still nursing my 19 month old and i am totally wanting to night wean during day we nurse for nap time and bedtime nooo more then that i cant take it anymore then that

but at night my son is waking up every 1-2hrs to nurse and it is making me tired and i know he is tired cause he wont get out of bed until sometimes 11am

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#9 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 PM

I am nursing our 15 month old. She doesn't nurse during the days anymore, but will eat about 3-5 times a NIGHT still. ACK. I wish I could flip her schedule around because I am SO exhausted and even though we co-sleep I am still awake when she is and I'm wanting to wean her. I don't know how I would feel about tandem nursing... My bestfriend does and I admire her but I don't know if I would have the energy or the patience. I guess we will just see what happens....
#10 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 PM

i am still nursing a 2 year old, we are working on night weaning first. in the past i have always weaned before the third trimester as to not make the older child feel like the new baby was stealing something. so far it seems to have worked. my daughter still nurses on demand so i think she might be a little harder to wean. if anyone comes close to my breast she gets jealous. keeping my fingers crossed weaning wont be as hard as i think!
#11 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM

I am still nursing my 9 month old, but only twice a day at most...I really don't have much milk anymore, so it is mostly comfort sucking. I'm not really having any soreness anymore since the 2nd trimester started...

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#12 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM

i am still nursing my 14 month old and I want to tear my hair out sometimes.. other times it isnt so bad but sometimes.. i just want to explode.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#13 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 PM

i have been working on night weaning and yesterday was my first night and it went great my son was mad a little bit but once i told him when the sun wakes up then u can have boobie soo at 730am he looked at the window and goes boobie hahahah soo he got to nurse then went back to sleep until 1030 am

iam sooo excited for tonight to see if he wakes up at all man i can see myself sleeping through the night soon hhahhahaha the first time since before he was born

19 months of having little to noo sleep is tooo long hahah

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#14 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm still nursing my 2 year old. She nurses a lot throughout the day and night, even though I know my supply is not what it used to be. A few nights ago she woke up, nursed for a while, and said, "Mama, I drank this baba all up! Go get me some moo milk."
#15 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 PM

I am still nursing my three year old with no plans to try to wean her. She doesn't nurse at night anymore though and she has been telling me there is no milk left so there is a chance she will wean on her own. I am just leaving it up to her.
#16 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 PM

I am nursing my 20 month old and sadly, my milk is all but gone I pump for work 3x per week and I tried to pump today because I have to work tomorrow and I barely got more then a teaspoon from one side. I have been taking "more milk two" tincture, but I will probably stop talking it and stop pumping. I have only been pumping because I work 3-11 and my dh likes to give my ds a bottle at bedtime, but I guess they are just going to switch to water. I don't think he has any plans to stop nursing and I hope to give tandem nursing a try. As far as night weaning, I think I will try to do that before this little one is born, but since we will all share the same bed it might be hard in the dark of night to refuse nursing one and give it to other (for me anyway, I hate to withhold mama's milk).
The funny thing lately is he sometimes wakes at night and starts to nurse and then pops off and says "cup" which is what he says when he is thirsty, so now we keep water at the bedside.
Good luck, Mama, nice to know we are all sticking in there!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#17 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherRN View Post
As far as night weaning, I think I will try to do that before this little one is born, but since we will all share the same bed it might be hard in the dark of night to refuse nursing one and give it to other (for me anyway, I hate to withhold mama's milk).
For what it is worth I thought co-sleeping made it easier to night wean. It is super easy to substitute cuddling for nursing when you are already sleeping together and cuddling is just throwing your arm over your kid and going back to sleep. You cannot do that if the toddler is sleeping in another room.
#18 of 20 Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! It makes me feel better that some are in my shoes! I need to get the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing", I've meant to check that out at the library. I'm hoping it gets better, I do love nursing him, just wish it wasn't painful!!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#19 of 20 Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

I am still nursing my 3 y.o., although I don't appear to have any milk left and it is quite painful. I nursed throughout my last pregnancy without any pain and minimal supply issues. I am wondering if the pain is correlated with low/no supply.
I tandem nursed my last two for two years and it was a great experience, although tiring at times. I don't have any inentions to wean this time; however, he might given that I don't have any milk left (although that hasn't stopped him yet!)!
#20 of 20 Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm still nursing my 15 month old and he shows no signs of ever stopping. It hasn't been bothering me too badly though.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page