Litter Box - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VENT! I am so tired of nagging my dh to take responsibility for the stinking litter boxes! He just is completely unwilling to keep up with them and it is grossing me out! He is fully aware that I am not "suppose to" take care of them, but that doesn't motivate him to keep them as clean as they need to be. I am sick and tired of asking him to do it & then waiting another WEEK for him to do it. I broke down once and did it myself, wearing rubber gloves and trying to not breath in the dust. If I keep doing it, I know my chances of him helping are further and further apart.

Anyone doing clean up themselves?

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Dh has been doing the litter boxes so long the cats don't even bother to meow at me if they think the boxes are stinky. (Just like they don't meow at him if they haven't been fed yet--they wait for me to get home.)
Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 PM

I could have written this post myself! No advice, just frustration too!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM

With my first son, I encountered your problem early on...I went out at bought the Littermaid electric litterbox, which only needs to be emptied once a week and has a much lower ick factor. Since then DH has been real good about doing it when I am pregnant (when I'm not though, he convienently backslides LOL!)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM

As a side note, you guys are using scoopable litter, yes? Dh and I refuse to use the "huge rigamarole once a week" litter. We use the "Less than 5 minutes once a day" litter.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

My cats refuse to use the scoopable stuff, so we do the regular-dump-once-a-week kind. Seriously, it is not that freaking hard! Dump it, wash it, dry it, fill it. DOne for a week! bangshead....

It's not like he is doing the diaper laundry....

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySunflowerBoys View Post
My cats refuse to use the scoopable stuff, so we do the regular-dump-once-a-week kind. Seriously, it is not that freaking hard! Dump it, wash it, dry it, fill it. DOne for a week! bangshead....

It's not like he is doing the diaper laundry....
What is your diaper laundry routine like that that much of a process for litter is easier? Oh wait, you mean cause the laundry has to be done more frequently... yeah.

Anyway, he needs to just do the chore.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, diapers get cleaned much more often! And of course, dh can't be bothered to shake poops in the potty... those get left on the dryer for me to take care of.

My nagging paid off.... he cleaned the boxes tonight! Now I have an exact date of when it was done & I will see how long before I have to start in again.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 AM

:lov Deborah. This is a recurring problem for me too. I fanally put the cats out and they don't use the litter box that often so it doesn't get so bad. I will not change it though since I did last pg and lost the pg. Call me overly cautious. Since the boxes are in the laundry room it just means fewer clean clothes for them!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 02-16-2008, 02:15 AM

btw, not to dismiss your DH from litter box duty but you're likely not at risk for toxoplasmosis. do your cats go outside? if they don't then you aren't at risk for toxoplasmosis. if they do, and have their entire lives, you've most likely been exposed to it and aren't at risk - an infected animal usually only transmits the parasite in the first exposure. the old rule that pregnant women should never change a litter box is out dated - hopefully that will make you feel less weird about cleaning the box if you have to. here's some more info
Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
btw, not to dismiss your DH from litter box duty but you're likely not at risk for toxoplasmosis. do your cats go outside? if they don't then you aren't at risk for toxoplasmosis. if they do, and have their entire lives, you've most likely been exposed to it and aren't at risk - an infected animal usually only transmits the parasite in the first exposure. the old rule that pregnant women should never change a litter box is out dated - hopefully that will make you feel less weird about cleaning the box if you have to. here's some more info
i have to agree. if you ever dig in your garden without gloves on you have probably been exposed to it already. most people think they just have a cold. if i am correct your body builds an immunity to it.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Is there a neighbor child that would like a small job and a bit of cash? You could possibly hire a child that is too young for other jobs. I would make sure they like cats though! Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM

What about using litter box liners, so that he only has to lift out the liner and there's no scrubbing?

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :

User Tag List