when to stop massage while lying on stomach? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what point should we not get a massage while lying on our stomachs? I am approx 14 weeks along and just found the most amazing place to get one and for $20/half hour and I would love to go again some time soon, but wasn't sure how far along before it's really not a good idea???

I did not see any kind of a set up (chair etc) that I could use to avoid lying on my stomach. I mainly have back issues, so skipping the back side just would not be an option.
#2 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure when the cut-off date is...probably when it starts feeling uncomfortable...but there are massage therapists out there who are trained in prenatal massage where you lie on your side, or they have special tables with a hole in it for the belly.
#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 PM

I am a massage therapist trained in prenatal massage, and would recommend that you find someone who has specific experience is side lying pregnancy massage. There are specific points on the body (the whole body, not just belly) that should not be stimulated during pregnancy. For example, there is one on the foot that has been shown to consistently turn a baby...you don't want that touched unless your baby is breech and you are nearing the end. There is another point on the hand that can be used to induce labor.

So, don't go anywhere for a massage unless they know that you are pregnant. But, go...and relax!!!! It's the best!
#4 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM

I got massages every two weeks through my ENTIRE pregnancy with ds. My therapist actually had a prop with a "belly hole". When he didn't have that with him (he comes to my house) we just propped me on pillows and worked side lying a lot.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#5 of 8 Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM

I go to the school down the road from here. They are ok with pregnancy massage and I got one about a week and a half before I birthed Lea. It was HEAVENLY!
They just worked me on my side!

I intend to get one a LOT more this time around(especially at $20 an HOUR! WOOHOO!)

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#6 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 AM

I am almost 17 weeks and it would be VERY uncomfortable for me to be lying on my stomach right now. But if it isn't uncomfortable for you I guess it would be ok.

Blessed mama of four
::
#7 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 AM

I had a wonderful massage today on my tummy. I still sleep on it sometimes and I am perfectly comfortable that way. I will be 15 weeks tomorrow and the therapist made sure I was ok face down on her table before we started. It was heaven. If it is still comfy for you I say go for it. Just make sure the therapist knows you are pregnant.

''''

#8 of 8 Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM

This pregnancy, I've been going to massage. The therapist knows I'm pregnant, and I lie on one side and then on the other (I have back issues, too). It's helping a lot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page