Could I get your opinion on spotting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, everyone -
I mostly just lurk here, so sorry to just abruptly post a question when I haven't been an active community member for a while. (I'm trying to be less obsessive, so not posting on boards is part of that effort- LOL! ) I am hoping you all could give me your honest take on this, as I really love and respect the mamas on this board...

I am 14 weeks, 5 days today. I have had the flu for the last week which included a fever, cough, etc. I went to the OB/GYN on Thursday and we heard the baby's heartbeat, which was elevated due to the fever but the doctor said it sounded "very good". *phew*

This morning (Sunday) I woke up and have some pinkish reddish spotting. It was just when I wiped. Five hours have passed and I keep checking but haven't had any more spotting.

I was coughing hard all night - could my cough have caused this? We haven't had sex in a long time, so I know it isn't that. (LOL - that's a post for another time. )

I called the on-call doctor and he said to come in for an ultrasound tomorrow... but that leaves me pacing the floor all day today.

I haven't had any spotting or any problems in this pregnancy thus far (just normal morning sickness stuff). I am having some mild backcramps but I think it is from being in bed for this last week with the flu... and it is very very mild.

Any insights/reassurances/warnings are welcome!! Thank you so much for reading this post and thanks for sharing any thoughts you wish...

take care,
steph

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#2 of 21 Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM

I can't know what's going on but I wanted to post a reply and give you a . I know it can be really scary not knowing what spotting might mean. Perhaps it was a little bit of your mucus plug (which regenerates) that came out from the coughing. Try to rest and take care of yourself until your appointment tomorrow. If there's any bright red blood then call your doc right away. I hope you feel better soon.
#3 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 AM

Hi Mama,
Haven't seen you since the TTC forum! Glad to know you are in my DDC.
I had a bit of pink spotting last week and I already had an appt with my OB for the next day, so I went ahead and had an u/s and everything was perfectly normal.
I guess they say that if you have bright red bleeing and/or severe cramps then you should be worried, but many women have a bit of pink here and there without any problems.
Keep us informed!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#4 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 AM

Hello Steph~

I know that a lot of women have spotting and bleeding during pregnancy and they have gone on with a healthy thriving pregnancy.

Oh, I had cramping and backpain/cramping from about 5 weeks for few weeks...and everything was okay. I did end up going in for an ultrasound for peace of mind...

I hope that your mind will be at ease soon! 's

Please let us know how you are doing...
#5 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Hi MyZymurgy, I remember you from the TTC forum too. I think it will be ok esp since you haven't had anymore spotting and you heard the hb recently. Hugs to you and keep us updated if you can

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#6 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Bug hugs mama, it sure is unnerving to see any spotting It sounds like the coughing may have irritated your cervix, causing the spotting. If it's subsided, I'm sure it's okay. Keep us posted after the u/s. We're thinking of you & baby!!

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#7 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 AM

I had a bit of spotting (like the kind you described) at 8 or 9 weeks following 2 days of wretching with the stomach flu. I'm more than 16 weeks now and everything is a-okay. You'll feel better after you get it checked out though.
#8 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 PM

This comes late in response--you are already going for ultrasound today, so soon I hope your reassurance will have come to you! Please do post an update here.

But-- don't worry too much. I had a TON of blood at 11 weeks, NOT spotting, gushing. And little bean and I are doing just fine now at almost 18 weeks. So, I know the worry. You will feel better after having it checked out. I don't know what yours would have been from. (MIne was a subchorionic hemmorage--but like I said, way different symptoms with me.) THe ultrasound might help there, might not. But, hoping you are feeling reassured and better soon!
#9 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, guys, so much for the responses!! I do love seeing the names of so many women I remember from the TTC board!!

I am going in for the ultrasound today at 3:30 pm (central US). I am trying, unsuccessfully, to be distracted in the meantime so I don't worry too much. Honestly, my gut tells me that everything is fine. I was up for half the night will a really bad cough (you know, like when you cough so hard you almost throw up in the process? nice.) So I braced myself for some more spotting this morning... and there wasn't any!! Yea!!

I will feel much better when I get to see the baby via ultrasound. Since I am 14 weeks and 6 days, do you think there is any chance they will be able to tell the gender? Heh.

This has been a LOOOOONG couple of days, but I am feeling more confident now that things are OK since the spotting hasn't returned. Plus, I haven't had any cramping.

Come on, 3:30!!!!
--- Steph

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#10 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM

OMG, MyZymurgy!!! HI!!!!! : I'm so excited to see you here! I am only a couple days ahead of you!

I don't know anything about spotting really, but wanted to say I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts and I hope your ultrasound goes wonderfully. I'm sure it will!

Update us please!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#11 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Rach!!! I'm so excited for you!!

#12 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM

I'm SO excited for you too!

And I'm an idiot..you're a day ahead of me. I can't read

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June

#13 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
Since I am 14 weeks and 6 days, do you think there is any chance they will be able to tell the gender?

--- Steph
My SIL found out at 12 weeks it was a boy and my friend found out at 14 weeks it was a boy. So it's definately a possibility but it may not be as reliable as a later u/s.

Sending you vibes for a great u/s. :

#14 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from the ultrasound. The good news is that the baby was doing great - moving around and waving his little hand us. I say 'his' hand, but he or she was too shy to open his legs and show us the goods. The heartrate had gone down since the last time (which was 180 at the first ultrasound) to 148.

I technician speculated the reason for the spotting was the my placenta was "very low". She said it was partially covering my cervix. Now I am waiting for the doctor to call me and tell me whether or not I need to come in for another appointment.

Have any of you guys been told you have a "low placenta"... I don't know if I should worry or not.

#15 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 PM

MyZymurgy, I think lots of placentas start out low and move on up before you have to worry about it!

I'm so glad baby was doing great!

#16 of 21 Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM

Congrats on the good visit!
#17 of 21 Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
MyZymurgy, I think lots of placentas start out low and move on up before you have to worry about it!
I agree w/ Rach as this is what I've heard as well. Glad it went well!

#18 of 21 Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Your placenta will be higher as the lower part of the uterus grows/stretches. This happens the most in the third trimester. All it means is that as you get toward the end of the pregnancy, someone will need to check again with ultrasound to make sure it is completely clear of the cervix. I think it will be. I totally wouldn't worry, you are so early, and placentas move up. If it does stay covering the cervix than that will be a problem, but at 14 weeks, nothing at all to worry about -- this is only a problem at 34 weeks, you know?

Glad baby is well!
#19 of 21 Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM

What good news!!! So happy for you

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#20 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I finally spoke to the doctor yesterday. She said it was plancenta previa and my placenta is covering my cervix. That is the likely cause of the spotting - which I have continued to have a few more times.

Now I am on pelvic rest and reduced activity (not supposed to lift over 10 lbs, rest often, no strenuous activities or long walks, etc.)

Both the ultrasound tech and my doctor told me that most early cases of previa resolve themselves in time for delivery. If not an early C-section may be necessary. If I have any heavier bleeding, I will likely have to go on bedrest.

I am trying to stay positive and focus on the good news -which is that the baby is doing fine. But I get scared every time i go to the bathroom, and the spotting is unnerving. I guess at least I know the cause...

According to the doctor, I'm 15w3d now and I am supposed to go in for another ultrasound at 18 weeks.

Thanks so much for all your responses and support. I love MDC! I knew I could come here for some advice and support! Thanks!!

#21 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 PM

MyZymurgy - I just looked you up because I was wondering what happened to you and I found this thread (sorry for being such a stalker . I'm so excited that you are pregnant! Congratulations!!!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page