Anyone With New Cravings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new thing is peanuts, in the shell. Like the kind you get at baseball games. Yummy salty goodness. I hope they are good for me. They are high in protein, but I am a bit worried about the salt content so I've tried to cut out salt in other meals.

Anyone else move on to a new food obsession?
#2 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM

I am loving fruits, root beer (someone here got me started on that one! D@mn infectious cravings!), and pistachios (ditto on the salt concerns.)

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#3 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Still loving oranges. Big navel oranges.

And for lunch I always seem to want a bean and cheese burrito.

And cookies--I have such a sweet tooth this time, not all that typical for me. I always want cookies, but really TRY to limit this one, lol.

But for the salty stuff--I didn't think so, until yesterday one of my students was eating a bag of potato chips and it was all I could do to keep from lunging for the bag. YUM--salty salty potato chips suddenly seemed like such a great idea. LOL.

I thought some salt in pg is good? Why are you all concerned about salt intake?
#4 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Nachos with jalapenos.. not the healthiest thing on the planet, but still yummmmmy oh yeah and prunes not sure if that's a craving or a necessity, but either way they're yummy too

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#5 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM

Moonstruck - Hypertention, Preclampsya, Toxemia, high blood pressure - these are all MAJOR conditions during pregnancy and are all caused by too much salt. Really, they're all basiclly the same thing w/ different names. These are incredibly serious concerns that could mean life or death for your baby - even for you depending. I have incredibly low blood pressure - usually 90 - something over 50 - something. With my first, I developed toxemia due to my salt/ pickle obsessions. It can happen to anyone - and very easily.

I'm still craving mustard like nobody's business! I eat mustard sandwhiches and -at times - mustard straight from the jar!

Oh ... and why did you bring up Root Beer Goldfinch?? lmao I've been trying to get past this root beer float craving I've been having! Something tells me that being pregnant in a Mississippi Summer I'm not going to be able to fight off the craving!
#6 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM

you know what's really good...wrap a pickle in a cheese slice and drizzle it with mustard. Yum! I still want salami (but am avoiding it). I'm craving meat all the time. Red meat. And anything salty.
#7 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
you know what's really good...wrap a pickle in a cheese slice and drizzle it with mustard. Yum!
This sounds very good! I will try it when I get home.
#8 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunQueen View Post
Moonstruck - Hypertention, Preclampsya, Toxemia, high blood pressure - these are all MAJOR conditions during pregnancy and are all caused by too much salt.
My MW says real sea salt is OK and to not limit that kind of salt. She also believes that Pre-E is caused by not getting enough protein so I'm on a high protein diet this time. I had Pre-E with my first. As far as my cravings go, I do love peanuts in the shell. We have a place the roasts them fresh everyday just a few blocks from my office. On nice days, I can't resist walking down to the peanut place. It smells soooo good as soon as you turn the corner on their street. Shrimp is another obsession of mine lately as is cream cheese.... but not together. I have a huge sweet tooth this time around as well and can get easily carried away if I don't watch it. I ordered 8 boxes of Girl Scout cookies from my manager's DD because it sounded like a REALLY good idea at the time. I was quite embarassed though when the order came in and I had to go into his office to pick them up. He was like "8 boxes?!?!" I totally blamed it on the pregnancy.
#9 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Yeah - I've always heard you should salt to taste, too and that limiting salt is not good for pregnancies. Huh.

Y'know, I haven't really had many strong cravings. Juice - I go through a box of juice boxes much, much faster than I should. String cheese, and fig newtons are others. I've pretty much lost my sweet tooth and although I feel like I'm always hungry, I can't ever figure out what I'm hungry for. It's kind of frustrating!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#10 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving_grace View Post
My MW says real sea salt is OK and to not limit that kind of salt. She also believes that Pre-E is caused by not getting enough protein so I'm on a high protein diet this time. I had Pre-E with my first. As far as my cravings go, I do love peanuts in the shell. We have a place the roasts them fresh everyday just a few blocks from my office. On nice days, I can't resist walking down to the peanut place. It smells soooo good as soon as you turn the corner on their street. Shrimp is another obsession of mine lately as is cream cheese.... but not together. I have a huge sweet tooth this time around as well and can get easily carried away if I don't watch it. I ordered 8 boxes of Girl Scout cookies from my manager's DD because it sounded like a REALLY good idea at the time. I was quite embarassed though when the order came in and I had to go into his office to pick them up. He was like "8 boxes?!?!" I totally blamed it on the pregnancy.

Yeah I'm not sure what the rule is with Sea Salt. I haven't spoken to my MW about that, specificly. I only use Sea Salt (now, not in my past pg's) and I find that I crave salty things too. I generally don't cook w/ salt, we simply salt our own plates to taste. Dh says I make my food way to salty but I don't think so. I like to taste it .... that's all! Lol
#11 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Collard and cabbage are my new cravings. Any natural applesauce. Also, anything slightly sour.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#12 of 21 Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM

sliced mushrooms with lemon and coarse salt - actually pretty much anything you can put lemon and salt on I want. Any ideas?
#13 of 21 Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 AM

Pasta with capers, lemon, salt, garlic, olive oil & arugula?:

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#14 of 21 Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 AM

pickles and ice cream-but not together!! LMAO

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#15 of 21 Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 AM

I'm totally into salads with lemon juice and sea salt. So good. Also, homemade chicken fingers with a nice light breading drenched in lemon juice and salt are really delicious. I love avocado just chunked with lemon juice and salt, put that on a salad, even better. Avocado just lightly sauted with a bit of olive oil or butter and some fresh garlic and salt. Yum. I want some lemon juice and salt. That's okay for breakfast, right?
#16 of 21 Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

The cafe at my work makes a wonderful buffalo chicken salad. I've had it for lunch for two straight weeks. It's the combination of spicy chicken and cool salad that I crave. I put just a little ranch dressing on it. Normally, I like a lot of dressing, but the plain salad leaves calm down my mouth after a bite of spicy chicken. MMMMmmmm can't wait for lunch......:
#17 of 21 Old 02-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Mexican food! Yum... Most days I have at least one meal that is somewhat Mexican.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#18 of 21 Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 PM

Cheese -- every kind (pasteurized of course). I'm wanting so much of it. I guess salt and calcium? I don't know. It's a big craving. Peanuts sound good. I've been eating Sally Fallon pecans that a friend makes me a lot. (Soaked for a while in salt water to do something to the proteins? and then re-crisped in the oven for a while.)
#19 of 21 Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Last night for dinner, I had an entire bunch of steamed organic spinach. So yummy with just a touch of sea salt. That's all I wanted! I started getting organic vegs and fruits delivered to my house each week so I have healthy choices in the house. I have a lot of apples I think I am going to juice over the weekend and a bunch of celery I plan on making into soup. Luuuuv cream of celery soup.
#20 of 21 Old 02-29-2008, 07:24 PM

oh yum, I love this thread - I see all kinds of ideas, I have to try! thanks!
#21 of 21 Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM

I want food but half time I don't know what I want now. I would love to go to Chow Baby, a place where you mix your own stir fry ingredients and they cook it for you. I love that place. Some really good veggie stir fry sounds wonderful right now.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page