I can hear both babies with my fetoscope - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear these babies must wonder why they picked an apprenticing midwife to be their mama!! I first heard one at 15 weeks with my fetoscope, completely a fluke. Then my husband and I both heard them at around 16 weeks...so sweet!!

And then last night, I heard them SO LOUD!! One was down by my left hip bone, 132-144 and the other was above my belly button at 144-156. They are so silly and sweet. It was right on the chest each time, because it was so loud. It sounded like a 38 weeker on each one. I just got my Leff fetoscope (ebay!) and I can't wait to hear them with that!

YAY!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#2 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 02:04 PM

That's so cool.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#3 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Awww I'm so jealous. I need a fetoscope. I thought you couldn't hear with that till later on. I'm glad you posted this because I was going to ask my midwife about that at the next appointment because as soon as you can use one I want to stop using the doppler and use one of those instead.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#4 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 PM

So very cool!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#5 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 03:58 PM

#6 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Awwww...that's so cool!

I just got my fetoscope from Ebay today! I going to really try tonight to use it. I've never used one and I've heard it's a learning curve to hearing the hb. I"ll be 15 weeks tomorrow and my uterus is either still tipped or starting to move forward so I know it could be awhile before I can get the baby's hb on it. But so excited to have it...so is DD

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#7 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Cool! I need to order mine...maybe by the time it arrives I'll be able to hear the heartbeat with it!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#8 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Now look what you've done DoulaSarah, we all have fetoscope lust!!! I just bought mine on Ebay after reading your post!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#9 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Ooo, I want one too! I bet dh would have fun with that.
#10 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM

okay you started something here. I just checked ebay and they are only $7.95. Is that right? How do they work anyway. If they are that cheap I'm just going to get one.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#11 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
okay you started something here. I just checked ebay and they are only $7.95. Is that right? How do they work anyway. If they are that cheap I'm just going to get one.
Well $14.95 with shipping.
#12 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have a couple of different ones, ranging from 12.00-30.00 to 200.00!!

I would say go for the 7.95 on Ebay. It will have a long cord and you should be able to use it just fine. It is a different way of hearing a heartbeat as you are first learning. It is hit or miss I would say from 17 weeks to 22 weeks, depending on the mother, the baby and the tummy! I have a lot of experience with one, and normally have a thinner stomach and have experience with palpating where I think my babies are laying. That is why I could hear them earlier. We didn't hear them with the scope at my first prenatal because there wasn't time to sit and mess around!

I can usually hear heartbeats on most babies by 22 weeks but even then, if you are heavier set, don't worry if it is a little bit later.

Also, you can't just put it on your uterus and hear the baby. You need to feel for you baby, think about what you are feeling and try to get as close as possible to the chest (or back). It is a wonderful bonding time with them and it is good for you to be quiet, and be hands on.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#13 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
This is the exact same one I bought from Ebay that I got today! I've read the cheapie works just as good as the expensive ones. I read too that if you cut the tubing, you may be able to hear better (sound travels less distance). I heard my hb well with it tonight...but too early for the baby's hb.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#14 of 17 Old 03-02-2008, 01:18 AM

That's so cool!

*off to check ebay*

SAHM to 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 3.

#15 of 17 Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 PM

congrats!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#16 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Cool! I just bought my fetoscope today! The one on eBay. Hopefully, I will receive it in about a week. I will be 18 weeks then.

Chelci

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#17 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM

DoulaSarah, I want to get a Leff so badly---- do you find the tubing is long enough to use on yourself easily!?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page