how much movement do you feel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be 18 weeks Monday. I feel the baby about every other day or two with a good strong kick but then not feel her again for a while. I think I feel some flutters every now and then but can't be sure if its baby or gas. For those mamas that are feeling baby now, how often does it occur? This is my second baby but I can't remember how frequently I felt my first moving around at this stage. I just get concerned sometimes that she's being too quiet when its been a whole day or 2 days without feeling her move much. Its probably just still a little too early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 02:56 AM

Funny that I felt my baby a bunch at 11 weeks and then it went away, now at 15 weeks I do feel little flutters/kicks just like my previous pg maybe once or twice a day, but not every day. I just love those little sensations!

ETA: I did not feel my last baby until 20 weeks because of an anterior placenta blocking sensation.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM

I also wonder about this. I forgot the movement pattern w/ DD. I started feeling movement really early this time (9 weeks). Then I didn't feel anything for 4 days. Then I started feeling movement several times a day for a couple weeks. Now at 15 weeks, I had been wondering and slightly worrying that I hadn't felt anything for a whole week. But then last night, my sweet pea gave me a good kick...as if to say "yup, I'm still here mommy ".

Oh and I have a friend who is 4 weeks ahead of me and she had felt movement at 9 weeks too and recently hasn't felt anything for 8 weeks but baby is still doing well

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! This is really reassuring to read. I'm a little nervous about this pregnancy because DP had 2 special needs kids with his ex. Even though we saw a geneticist prior to conception and were confident going into this pregnancy that his kid's issues weren't genetic but likely due to their mother's problems, I still at times have those little thoughts and fears creep up on me. I happened to read a story about a mom with a down's baby and she said she knew something wasn't right because the baby didn't move as much as her other 4 babies. I think reading that triggered a little anxiety in me this weekend. Ok, no more reading articles like that.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Every baby is different. I'll be 18 weeks friday and I do feel movements but not necessarily every day and then sometimes several times in one hour. They aren't really strong kicks or pokes yet, although I've had a couple of those but as soon as I stop to see if i can feel another it stops so I can't "confirm" it for myself. Many of the movements I feel could be passed off as digestion or other types of sensations. They aren't yet those undeniable "oh, there's a foot" kind of kicks. It's still early. And, I think the more analytical of a person you are, the more likely you'll pass those movements off as other things (at least this what happens in my case). Really, anything you're feeling that you don't normally ever feel is most likely the baby moving around.

With my last pregnancy i almost burst into tears at my ultrasound because the tech casually asked me "have you felt the baby move much?". I felt the blood drain from my face. I'd felt nothing and I though maybe they were trying to prepare me for some bad news. Then she went on to say the baby was VERY active and no doubt I'd feel something soon. Well sure enough that very night (I think I was 19 weeks or so) I was laying in bed with my stomach uncovered watching t.v and felt the biggest kick. I looked down and kept feeling it and I could SEE the kicks through my skin. So it went from nothing... to that in one day. He went on to be a big mover and shaker. It is a very reassuring feeling but don't be worried. You'll feel those undeniable kicks soon and I'm sure i will too.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm almost 15 weeks, not feeling a whole lot. I think I've been feeling a little flutter every now and then since about 11 weeks but they are very few and far between.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM

I will be 16 weeks on Wednesday and haven't felt anything yet.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM

I definitely don't feel any jabs yet. What I do feel after every meal are little wave sort of feelings. I know I have a little gymnast growing in my belly (that was evident in the u/s last week) and he or she apparently does flips after I eat.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM

saving grace, I could have written your post, I'm 18 weeks and my experience sounds very similar. Sometimes at night I'll get a few definite kicks (light kicks/pokes but definite) but then it seems like days before anything else definitive. And I can't remember when dd started being SOOO incredibly active; this baby so far feels nothing at all like dd did. But I think that must have been much later. I seem to remember around 20 weeks or so (maybe even up to 22?) was when the consistent undeniable gymnastics started with dd. And the incredibly strong kicking that I do remember so well, it was so funny!, was likely even later than that. Thanks for your post--it along with all the responses it's generated are reassuring to me, too!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 PM

I'm about 16 1/2 weeks and have been feeling little twinges for about a week or so. They aren't kicks, really, I can just feel him/her kind of squirming around. The feelings are getting more steady.

Last night I lay snuggled up to dh, with my belly touching his back, and fell asleep feeling the baby wiggling against the pressure. That was nice.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
hyz

I was 19 weeks yesterday and felt about 5-7 big, undeniable kicks right near my belly button. Up until that, I'd been feeling little rumblings and things since about 16 weeks, but only once did I feel something (17.5ish weeks) that I was SURE was 2 kicks, right in a row. Then, it went so long without anything major that I even started to doubt that.

One funny thing, though--for the last few days, I've been feeling things that FEEL like kicks, but way up by my ribcage, not down where it ought to be. I'm assuming they're probably not kicks, but it does feel like them. Any ideas what this could be? One thing I'm thinking--I've been told by doctors that chest/stomach pain is very hard to diagnose, because you just don't have that many nerves in there and can be hard for person to pinpoint where the pain is coming from. This isn't pain, just a feeling like a little "thump!", but I'm wondering if maybe I'm "feeling" it higher up than where it's really coming from....?

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

I will be 17w tomorrow, and have not felt anything that I recognize as movement yet...but this is my first pregnancy, and I might be feeling something and just not knowing what it is yet! It does make me a little nervous, though.

Mamas who have done this before, when did you feel movement in a first pregnancy?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Every babe and pregnancy is different. I started feeling some fluttering at 15 weeks and I have every day at 10-11pm, and sometimes when I'm resting during the day. After three days of it being consistent, I decided it wasn't gas and it's not. YAY for baby movements. To all who aren't feeling it yet, give it time. It all depends on our body, our babe and where our placenta and stuff is.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

At 16 weeks, I have felt a few flutters since 12 but last night I felt a jab, but it was so fast and then gone that it was like wow, I have forgotten what is to come. I just love it when you can push on them and they push back, lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 AM

I am a little over 17 weeks and I have only felt the baby a few times. I don't seem to ever feel it very early - maybe I am not "quiet" or still enough!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 AM

I'm getting bonafide kicks. I even know what to drink or do to make the baby kick. We sometimes have battles because mini me likes to kick more at night when I'm trying to sleep than when I'm wide away and ready to play. *sigh* my child will be a night owl just like it's father. LOL

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
I'm getting bonafide kicks. I even know what to drink or do to make the baby kick. We sometimes have battles because mini me likes to kick more at night when I'm trying to sleep than when I'm wide away and ready to play. *sigh* my child will be a night owl just like it's father. LOL
Have you ever heard why this is? Its pretty common. I don't know if this is fact, or wives tale, but it makes sense to me. When you are active during the day, your movements rock the baby to sleep. When you are laying there, still, trying to sleep, the baby has a chance to play. I guess that's why so many newborns have their nights and days confused.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 AM

I'm 15 weeks, and haven't felt anything yet. I felt #1 at almost 16 weeks, #2 at 15 weeks, and nothing yet. It's driving me nuts.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 AM

I'm 16 weeks, I don't feel much of anything yet. The "movements" I've felt in the past that turned out to be gas every time are now feeling slightly different and more baby-like, but I still fart afterwards, so I can't say for sure yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am almost 18 weeks and I have felt nothing! Is this unusual?

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
Pregnant again after IVF, EDD July 6, 2015!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowave View Post
I am almost 18 weeks and I have felt nothing! Is this unusual?
Not if its your first baby. For whatever reason, first time moms don't feel movement as early. With my first baby, the first movements felt like fluttering or soft tapping just below the belly button.

BTW, OP here, a few days after posting this, I began feeling her move more. I'm feeling her everyday now which is encouraging. Now I can't wait for DP to start feeling her too.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM

19wks yesterday and I have been feeling the baby since 13wks but was SURE it was the baby at 15wks. The last 2wks have been progressively getting stronger so much so that in the last week I even notice it when I am not just sitting still relaxing I can be running after my 2yr old and feel the baby kick! It is awesome! (My MW thought it was very early for me to feel the babe, I know I am out of the norm)

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm 17 wks today and feel movements now and then. I've been feeling flutters since around 14 wks. Once I felt a sharp kick to the cervix!

I, also, just feel movement in the evening when I am laying down with DS before bed. Love that snuggle time!

BTW, my son with Down syndrome wasn't any less active than my first son. Don't think the quiet babies necessarily have any issues!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 PM

This pregnancy has been sooo different from my first, in many ways. As for movement, with my first I felt flutters in my 13th week that steadily grew stronger. I was told at the 18-week US that the placenta was in the back and with that position one tends to feel a lot more movement, much earlier. This time around I'm almost 18 weeks and have barely felt any movement at all yet. Every now and then I think I feel a kick/poke, but nothing like the frequent flutters I felt so early with DS. So I'm thinking my placenta must be in front this time.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:54 AM

I'm 17wks and haven't felt movement yet. It's my first, so I may just not know what to look for. I hope to feel somethign soo though.

''''

Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM

16.5 weeks and nada.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM

I'm 18 1/2 weeks and haven't felt anything. It's my first, and I'm waiting patiently, but I sure wish I'd start feeling the little bugger!

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM

I've passed waiting patiently, and am now waiting impatiently! Come on baby, mama wants to feel you!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM

17w6d here, I feel very little movement, but had an US today that showed baby moving a LOT. Placenta is located front and center, this is cushioning most of the movement.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 AM

With my first, I definitely felt something around 19 weeks or so.

This time around, I felt the first few little movements around 15 weeks, but only in the last week or so have them become somewhat regular...ish. <I'm 18 ish weeks>. I've noticed a few good kicks after meals, or when I'm lying quietly.

What I really can't wait for is DH to feel the LO-I remember last time that's when it started to feel more real/exciting to him!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)

User Tag List