how much weight have you gained? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am at 16 lbs and 16 weeks. I am soooo excited about that number though because I'm having twins. With my dd I had only gained 4 lbs. at this point but I went on to gain 50.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#2 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM

So far 0lbs for me, even though I am enormous. With my other two, I had gained probably 10-15lbs by this point, but I really didn't watch what I ate at all. I had awful, awful morning sickness with this one. I'm hoping I've gained something by my next appointment.
#3 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

I've gained 6 pounds and all except one in the last month. I am 17 weeks along. I love eating when I'm pregnant! Everything, well after the first trimester, tastes so good because I'm always hungry. mmmmmm...

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#4 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM

17 weeks here, I have not gained any weight. I gained way too much with DS and was very uncomfortable, so I have been very cautious this time about empty calories. I'm hoping to keep total weight gain at no more than 20 pounds. I have a definite bump, and on ultrasound at 13 weeks baby was measuring two days ahead. I have another US scheduled for next week, so I'll be curious to see what the growth looks like. I feel like I am on the right track and the weight gain recommendations in the US are way inflated, but nonetheless it will be reassuring to see that baby is clearly getting what s/he needs.
#5 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Well, I'm not exactly sure what I weighed before, I don't have a scale. But I think I've gained 7 pounds at 18 weeks. Not sure how that compares to my last pg, but I feel like I gained about right last time, and feel like my body knows what to do, haven't thought that much about this one. Though I am interested to see what everyone has to say!
#6 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM

I've gained 10 lbs at 18 weeks.

Blessed mama of four
::
#7 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM

I have gained 3 pounds.. I gained the standard 25 with my first and am hoping to aim for that again!
#8 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM

I weigh the same as before I got pregnant. I had lost 7lbs in the first trimester, but they are back now.

''''

#9 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM

I've gained 4 lbs at 16 weeks. Last time I had gained more than that by this point, but I also started out thinner.
#10 of 80 Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM

I lost about 12 pounds, and I am gaining that back at this point.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#11 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 AM

At 17 weeks I've gained about 6 lbs. I've been nervous, thinking maybe I am not gaining enough. I don't know what "normal" is really. I just have a hard time gaining weight sometimes in the beginning even though I don't get "sick" much at all. It was a problem, to some degree, in my previous pg's. Well, I'm eating a lot better this time around. I take better care of myself. In fact, I'm already huge compared to my last pg's. In fact everyone's starting to tease me that it's twins. It's a genetic improbability but it's still scaring the crap out of me!

Anyway, thanks for starting this post! It's helped reassure me that my weight gain is right on track. I don't need to worry so much!
#12 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 AM

I gained 9lbs by the 15th week. Then by the 16th week I lost 4lbs. So now I'm at +5lbs.

Odd
#13 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 AM

Last I weighed myself I gained 13lbs at 13 weeks.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#14 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 AM

I will know better on Thur, but in Jan I had lost 10 lbs since Dec appt.

I figure I am on course to have lost at LEAST another 10 since Jan....will report back.

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#15 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM

16 weeks, currently 2 pound more than my official pre-pregnancy weight although I've also weighed 3 pounds less than that during the course of events.
#16 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,
I'm 16 weeks and gained about 12-13pounds. That's half what I gained total in my 1st pg. Scary!

Someone said the charts for weight gain were overinflated. Can anyone back that up with facts and if so by how much are they over?

Is there any correlation between weight gain and birth weight of baby?

Thanks.
#17 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendula View Post
Hello,
I'm 16 weeks and gained about 12-13pounds. That's half what I gained total in my 1st pg. Scary!

Someone said the charts for weight gain were overinflated. Can anyone back that up with facts and if so by how much are they over?

Is there any correlation between weight gain and birth weight of baby?

Thanks.

I don't think there's A LOT of correlation between mommy weight gain and baby's weight. With my first I had toxemia and was very swollen. I gained about 70 lbs w/ her and she was 6lbs 11 oz. W/ #2 I gained about 30-35 pounds and she was also 6lbs 11 oz. So take that for what it's worth. I gained about the same amount of weight (around 30) w/ #3 and he was 6lbs 3 oz.
#18 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM

I am 17 weeks and I haven't gained any weight. I need to eat more.

Chelci

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

#19 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendula View Post
It's mostly just my opinion, although there is research correlating maternal weight gain with later diagnosis of diabetes in children. The higher the mother's pregnancy weight gain, the higher the correlation, and there was a connection with even as little as 25 pounds.

Most of the research on maternal weight gain and fetal weight focuses on low-birth-weight babies, but there is some research looking at the other side: "[M]any studies have demonstrated a direct association between birth weight and higher BMI in childhood and adulthood." Interestingly, they describe maternal weight gain as only the third factor in fetal weight at birth; the mother's pre-pregnancy BMI and the baby's gestational age at birth make more of a difference in whether the baby is born with higher than ideal fat stores. In other words, if the mother starts out very lean, she may have a low birth weight baby despite gaining the recommended 25-35 pounds; and likewise, a mother who starts out overwight/obese and only gains 15-25, may still have a baby with high BMI. But, clearly maternal weight gain still has some effect either way. There's just no good reason for someone who is say already borderline overweight to go ahead and pack on 35 pounds just because the books say that's within the healthy range. It doesn't benefit the baby and it's likely to be difficult/uncomfortable for the mother. Furthermore, maternal weight gain is highly associated with long-term overweight/obesity for the mother. Basically, if it's more than she can lose in the 6-12 months following birth, statistically the odds are against her ever returning to a healthy weight.

My sincere personal belief is that if you eat healthy, nutritious food when you are hungry and avoid empty calories (soda, snacks, etc.) your body and your baby will get what they need.
#20 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I am 16w1d and I have gained 11-12 pounds so far. I worry that maybe it's too much, but everybody keeps telling me not to worry. I am still in some of my regular clothes, but I've switched to professional-looking maternity clothes for work.

My appetite is big in the morning and afternoon, but I eat very little for dinner. Also, my taste for some sweets is coming back, so I better watch out.
#21 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 AM

I'm up 3 pounds, but I started 20 lbs heavier this pg than I did my other babies. I gain just a little over 20 each with them and it dropped off fast. I wish I hadn't fluffed up so much before this baby.

I'm not starving myself, I just am not hungry yet.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#22 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
hyz

Well, I lost about 5 early on, and have now gained that back plus 3, so I don't know whether to say I gained 3 or 8 lbs, at 19 weeks. I started out pretty trim--actually, losing that 5 lbs probably put me around ideal weight for me, considering the amount of muscle mass I have (i.e. a bit less than I'd like--I wouldn't mind weighing more if it was muscle, not fat).

At my last appointment, my OB told me I need to eat more, and I was sort of offended. I have definitely increased my calorie intake from pre-preg, but more than that, I've been trying to eat really healthy, varied, balanced meals. I eat when I'm hungry, I continue eating until I'm full, and I don't try to limit the amount of healthy food I take in (I do limit sweets, junk, etc.). I tried to tell her that, and she didn't want to hear it--just, "you need to eat more". I don't feel like I can physically eat MORE--I guess I could cut out some fruit/veggies/protein and replace them with cupcakes, but honestly that doesn't seem like a good idea. :

Everything seems to be going very well with baby's development, my health, etc., and I believe I should trust my body unless it seems like something is going wrong. I also get irritated when friends/coworkers etc. tell me, "this is your time to splurge, why don't you have some of this (cake/brownies/ice cream/etc.)?" Actually, I feel like this is my time to eat as healthy as possible, because I'm responsible not only for my own well-being, but for the development of another human being, and I think we'll both do better on healthy whole foods than on refined starches, hydrogenated fats, and sugar. Hmph.

Ok, rant off.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#23 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

i have no clue because i don't weigh myself.

my clothes still fit, though. in fact, my pants are baggy. so i would wager that i've lost, but when i was weighed, i'd probably gained about 5 lbs or so.

so probably around there.
#24 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Also, my taste for some sweets is coming back, so I better watch out.
Me, too. I have a huge sweet tooth and it is back!

On Saturday when I weighed myself I have gained 8 pounds total at 17 weeks. DH had gained 12 but is back down to 10. He is not very happy, but the whole time I was still puking my guts out, he was sitting there eating ice cream, so it's his own fault.
#25 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM

I don't actually know. Don't have a scale. My midwife always says fine and never really tells me the number unless I ask, which I don't. I just have no idea. Which is funny! I could ask her what it was on the first appointment and is now, but I'll never know what it was when I first got pregnant so I won't be able to calculate from that. It's funny that I don't care. It's my third and I'm just over obsessing and worrying. Just totally over it. I trust my body's cravings, I trust my body, I'll gain what I need to.
#26 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM

17 weeks - 10-11 pounds.
#27 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM

I've gained 7 pounds at 18 weeks, almost all of that in the second trimester. (I was so sick the first trimester I didn't gain anything.)

Is anyone else finding that they're unexpectedly dealing with body issues during pregnancy? I've always been fairly thin, and stayed in shape without really trying too hard, and now that I'm suddenly thickening (I really don't look pregnant, just wider...), I'm finding that I have to make a really conscious effort not to feel "fat." It bothers me that I feel this way, because my weight gain is totally normal, and obviously, part of a healthy pregnancy. But I just feel sort of bloated and unattractive a lot of the time now, in a way that disturbs me. I don't know if part of it is that I'm single (and thus, don't have a DP who has to love me and find me attractive no matter what...), or if this is just a normal part of pregnancy, but it's bumming me out that I feel this way...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#28 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM

I've gained a pound at 17 weeks. But I know it's because my body just doesn't NEED to gain – I'm a hefty size 16 on a 5'10" frame.
I was annoyed when the nurse congratulated me on not gaining at my last visit, as if I'm dieting for goodness sake!
Frankly, I was tempted to refuse to be weighed. My midwife didn't do it and said there's no good evidence that weighing moms is better for baby anyway!

(And AngelaM, it's just this stage of pregnancy. You'll feel gorgeous – and get lots of compliments – when your belly starts to blossom, I promise.)

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#29 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM

I am at 19 weeks and have probably gained about 10-12 pounds so far. With my first baby I gained a total of 40 pounds, with my second I gained a total of 26 pounds. The key though I believe is to lose it all before getting pregnant again! I eat a healthful diet primarily composed of organic fruits, vegetables and whole grains, but I don't really deny myself much if I want it. We don't keep junk in the house, ever (chips, soda, etc.) but I enjoy baking with my kids. Especially during pregnancy I enjoy indulging my sweet tooth and giving in to cravings that I would normally ignore. Both my kids were born at 40 weeks, at a healthy weight (8lbs.) and I lost the weight by the baby's first bday (always my goal).

I think pregnancy is a time to enjoy a bit of indulgence...it is a fleeting time in my life!
#30 of 80 Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
Is anyone else finding that they're unexpectedly dealing with body issues during pregnancy? I've always been fairly thin, and stayed in shape without really trying too hard, and now that I'm suddenly thickening (I really don't look pregnant, just wider...), I'm finding that I have to make a really conscious effort not to feel "fat." It bothers me that I feel this way, because my weight gain is totally normal, and obviously, part of a healthy pregnancy. But I just feel sort of bloated and unattractive a lot of the time now, in a way that disturbs me. I don't know if part of it is that I'm single (and thus, don't have a DP who has to love me and find me attractive no matter what...), or if this is just a normal part of pregnancy, but it's bumming me out that I feel this way...
I feel the same way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page