The Myths of Pregnancy aka. Giving things up...exposed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feta cheese:

From the FDA (not that I trust them completely either)

Quote:
The following advice is provided for pregnant women, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems who are at higher risk for listeriosis:
* Do not eat hot dogs and luncheon meats, unless they are reheated until steaming hot.
* Do not eat soft cheese such as feta, brie, and Camembert, blue-veined cheeses, queso blanco, queso fresco, and Panela, unless it is labeled as made with pasteurized milk.
* Do not drink unpasteurized milk or eat foods that contain unpasteurized milk.
Although I do have to say that I know MANY MANY women who drink raw milk and eat raw yogurt throughout their pregnancy with no ill effects.

I think that there are many people who wouldn't eat or drink anything raw whether or not they are pregnant. It is a matter of personal preference, and knowing where your food comes from.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#2 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I will not give up HOT BATHS. I keep them short and sweet. I would get into a hot tub as well, but not for a long period of time (maybe 10-15 minutes and only if I am fully hydrated).

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#3 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

i'll be honest, i'm just doing what my body/intuition tells me to do.

i eat/drink raw milk/cheese, etc, and i had feta this morning with my salad and my eggs.

i don't really have any restrictions, but i find it fascinating how my body doesn't crave sweets or grains, but does crave beans, avocados, cheese, and a variety of vegetables.

i have not sauna-ed since being pregnant (i love to sauna), but i still do my hot baths.

i don't eat lunch meat, fish, etc, anyway (being veg), so that's no big deal at all.

but honestly, the whole thing to me is about what you feel/think is right/best. i could care less what anyone else says or does.
#4 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM

The last time I had feta it made me sick so I gave it up. Hot dogs. That's a no go for me. I love me some chili slaw dogs. LOL

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#5 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 PM

zoebird.... I didn't think anyone else ate eggs and salad for breakfast! Everyone always looks at me like I have 3 heads when I mention it. It's one of my favourites.
#6 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Here are some of my faves. True or untrue? You be the judge:

Don't have balsamic vinegar because of the sulfites (What about all those pg women in Italy??? )

Don't eat raw dairy (What about all those pg women in France??? )

Don't eat fish, unless you know where it came from (Huh? The ocean? Although, I think they mean to say, unless you know the mercury content of the area where the fish was caught)

This is my absolute favorite thing said to me during my first pg:
"Don't put your arms above your head because it will wrap the cord around the baby's neck"

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
#7 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM

With my first pregnancy, I was cautious about this kind of stuff. Since then I've found out about the health benefits of raw milk from grass fed cows and have been drinking it for about 2 yrs. I eat queso cheese dip when we go out for Mexican and don't really worry about it. The CDC's own stats on food borne illness show that SALAD and FRUITS/VEGGIES are MORE likely to sicken someone than eggs, chicken or milk (raw or pasteurized). When was the last time the FDA warned pregnant women to not eat their fruits and veggies??

From www.realmilk.com power point presentation (using CDC reports):

On a case-by-case basis, persons consuming milk from ANY source (raw or pasteurized) are:

30 times more likely to become ill from fruits and vegetables
13 times more likely to become ill from beef
11 times more likely to become ill from chicken
10 times more likely to become ill from potato salad
2.7 times more likely to become ill from non-dairy beverages

PASTEURIZED MILK
1997, 28 persons ill from Salmonella in California, ALL FROM PASTEURIZED MILK.
1996, 46 persons ill from Campylobacter & Salmonella in California.
1994, 105 persons ill from E. coil and Listeria in California
March of 1985 19,660 confirmed cases of Salmonella typhimurium illness FROM CONSUMING PROPERLY PASTEURIZED MILK. Over 200,000 people ill from Salmonella typhimurium in PASTEURIZED MILK
1985, 142 cases and 47 deaths traced to PASTEURIZED Mexican-style cheese contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes SURVIVES PASTEURIZATION!
1985, 1500 persons ill from Salmonella infection
August of 1984 approximately 200 persons became ill with a Salmonella typhimurium from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK
November of 1984, another outbreak of Salmonella typhimurium illness from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK
1983, over 49 persons with Listeria illness have been associated with the consumption of PASTEURIZED MILK in Massachusetts.
1993, 28 persons ill from Salmonella infection
1982, 172 persons ill (100 hospitalized) from a three Southern state area from PASTEURIZED MILK.
1982, over 17,000 persons became ill with Yersinia enterocolitica from PASTEURIZED MILK bottled in Memphis, Tennessee.

OTHER FOODS
Massachusetts, June 1996, 38 persons ill and possibly contributing to one death from food contaminated with Salmonella served in a Wendy’s restaurant.
Idaho, September 1995, 11 people ill due to E. coil 0157:H7 traced to food eaten in a Chili’s restaurant in Boise.
Florida, August 1995, 850 people ill from Salmonella newport bacteria in chicken served at Margarita y Amigos restaurant in West Palm Beach.
Utah, January 1995, 96 people ill from hepatitis A traced to an employee of a Taco Bell restaurant in Salt Lake City
Washington, DC, August 1994, 56 people ill and 20 hospitalized from Salmonella in Hollandaise sauce.
Georgia, October 1993, one dead, 7 others ill from botulism in canned cheese sauce.
Illinois, June 1993, 41 people ill, 25 hospitalized from Salmonella in food served at a Mexican restaurant.
Oregon, March 1993, 48 people ill from E. coil 0157:H7 in mayonnaise served at Sizzler restaurant.
An additional 50 cases of illness caused by E. coil 0157:H7 bacteria in food served in Sizzler’s restaurants in Oregon and Washington were reported to CDC in 1993.
The western US, December 1992 to January 1993, 700 people ill from E. coil 0157:H7 in hamburgers served at Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in Washington, Idaho, Nevada and California. Nearly 100 of the victims developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a serious complication resulting from E. coil 0157:H7 infection, and four children died.
#8 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
zoebird.... I didn't think anyone else ate eggs and salad for breakfast! Everyone always looks at me like I have 3 heads when I mention it. It's one of my favourites.
not in your ddc but...
mmm...eggs and salad for breakfast. i make dh the potatoes and give myself a big helpin' o greens with shredded carrot.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#9 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2013 View Post
This is my absolute favorite thing said to me during my first pg:
"Don't put your arms above your head because it will wrap the cord around the baby's neck"
Oh my ex in-laws were huge on that one and I also wasn't "allowed" to tie my shoes or tie anything as it could put a knot in the cord too.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#10 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

What I don't understand about the deli meat thing- and maybe someone can explain this for me- is that until a few years ago this was not even a known issue that everyone was warned about by their doctors. So many ladies I know who already have kids literally lived on deli sandwiches throughout their pregnancy and did not have any problems whatsoever. I have read online that the only reason the doctors are telling pregnant women about this now was because there were a few lawsuits and now they went to this position that "NO deli meat is safe" unless heated (which is nasty in my opinion!!) But can't you get listeria from vegetables that haven't been washed correctly? Why don't they just tell you not to eat out at all while pregnant??
Furthermore I have even heard from friends that some of their doctors said this was really not as big of a deal if you are eating at a reputable establishment where the meat is not sitting out in the open all day (properly kept in the meatcase, etc.) What have you guys heard about this?

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#11 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

i think it's listeria? that people are concerned about on deli meats.

most of them are cured and perfectly safe, but there was some kind of scare about them, and so it was added to the "risky foods" list.

i don't eat meat, so it's not an issue for me either way.

oh, that's another thing, people telling me to eat meat. i also don't take prenatal vitamins.

oh, and i keep doing yoga--including the super fun, hard-core postures that supposedly cause everything from miscarriage to placental abruption to compressed cords to smush-headed babies.

i throw all caution to the wind! i don't care about this child at all! it's all about me! WAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
#12 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2013 View Post
Don't have balsamic vinegar because of the sulfites (What about all those pg women in Italy??? )

Don't eat raw dairy (What about all those pg women in France??? )
Do they continue to eat those foods during pregnancy?
#13 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSarah View Post
Feta cheese:

From the FDA (not that I trust them completely either)

Although I do have to say that I know MANY MANY women who drink raw milk and eat raw yogurt throughout their pregnancy with no ill effects.

I think that there are many people who wouldn't eat or drink anything raw whether or not they are pregnant. It is a matter of personal preference, and knowing where your food comes from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSarah View Post
I will not give up HOT BATHS. I keep them short and sweet. I would get into a hot tub as well, but not for a long period of time (maybe 10-15 minutes and only if I am fully hydrated).

Sister, I am right there with you...hot baths and feta cheese are two of my most favorite things ever! DH is actually on his way right now to the store to buy phyllo dough to make spanikopita. The feta is warmed to bubbling, then baked, so I feel pretty safe.

As for hot baths, I can't stand cool/lukewarm water. I'm fine only getting 5 min or so. I just want to hop in and warm up. I don't stay in until I'm hot.
We were talking about hot baths on another board and a couple of the international girls said it's pretty much only a US thing.
#14 of 30 Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Not in the DDC, just interested in the topic...

I started out my pregnancy being super-careful about everything: no deli sandwiches, no sushi, no tuna, no risky cheese. This was very easy during the first trimester, when the only thing I could stand to eat was ceaser salad. My second trimester brought the return of my permanent sushi craving. I held out against it as long as I could, and gave in in stages: sushi, but only cooked rolls! and then okay, raw fish, but no tuna! and finally "I'm not risking my pregnancy for bad sushi."

I had no problems, however, while I was pregnant, there were major issues with e. coli in packaged, pre-washed spinach, and a salmonella outbreak traced to frozen strawberries at Jamba Juice.

I think that it's just not possible to avoid all risk in pregnancy (or in life). You have to determine what risks are acceptable to you and live with them.
#15 of 30 Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
I always wondered about that tossed salad and scrambled eggs line from Frasier? LMAO!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#16 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
My second trimester brought the return of my permanent sushi craving. I held out against it as long as I could, and gave in in stages: sushi, but only cooked rolls! and then okay, raw fish, but no tuna! and finally "I'm not risking my pregnancy for bad sushi."
vegetarian. so no sushi except for veggie sushi...which may help your craving. kappa maki (cucmber), sweet potato, avocado, carrot. usually they have lots of good flavors. delicious and satisying. my fave thing about sushi is the pickled ginger...which piled high on some cucmber sushi is absolutely delicious!!! i intro'd my mom to sushi this way and now she eats all kinds of sushi, not just veggie. it's a good stepping stone for the skeptics.

btw...i LOVE your name. I call my cat Meeper because he doesn't meow, he meeps and cheeps like a little bird. awww...i'm gonna go pet him right NOW!!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#17 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 02:45 PM

I'm not sure I believe in the whole Feta thing but just to play it safe I get the TJs stuff that is pasteurized. I eat a lot of Feta
#18 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
vegetarian. so no sushi except for veggie sushi...which may help your craving. kappa maki (cucmber), sweet potato, avocado, carrot. usually they have lots of good flavors. delicious and satisying. my fave thing about sushi is the pickled ginger...which piled high on some cucmber sushi is absolutely delicious!!! i intro'd my mom to sushi this way and now she eats all kinds of sushi, not just veggie. it's a good stepping stone for the skeptics.
: Veggie sushi is the way to go! :
#19 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 02:59 PM

formerly in this ddc..

there's a book called the panic free pregnancy that discusses all the crap "they" say you should give up.

I don't buy the listeria hysteria. contracting listeria is very rare. Yes, if you do contract it, it can cause miscarriage, but so could getting hit by lightening.
#20 of 30 Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 PM

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only "bad mom" who really doesn't give a crap about all the horrible dangerous things they tell you to avoid during pregnancy. I immediately disregarded all of that information when they added GREEN TEA to the list. GREEN TEA!!!!

I mean, sure, I'm not going to go sit in a 102 degree sauna for four hours and then eat a nasty slimy fish that I scooped out of a dirty drainage ditch. But I'm not going to panic over the extremely teensy tiny chance I could get sick from a ham sandwich. I have an equal chance of getting sick from just about ANYTHING I eat. It's not worth the trouble for me, I'm gonna eat what I want!
#21 of 30 Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 AM

i dont eat deli meat anyway and i dont eat junk food and try to limit coffee and sodas durign pregnancy, but i think raw milk is much healthier at any time than store bought milk...and i do enjoy our hot tub..and sushi...

so i guess im a bad mom too! lol!
#22 of 30 Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM

we're not milk drinkers...but we do eat cheese occassionally ad i love raw cheese (raw swiss, mmmmm)...do you think it would be anymore "dangerous" than raw milk since its aged? or do you think it would be just as "safe"

ps i understand no one in here is a food scientist...but i haven't been able to convince my husband that it wouldn't be that bad and i've been dying for raw swiss and pears!!

i've even thought about sneaking(!) it since i'm the one that does the cooking and food shopping, but i'm feeling like dishonesty would be bad karma and then I really might get sick.

#23 of 30 Old 03-10-2008, 12:30 PM

We're supposed to avoid non-pausteruized cheeses, right? I think it's difficult to find cheese made in this country that isn't pasteurized because of such strict rules. We like to nuke things beyond recognition here. I can't imagine the greek place up the street where I devoured a veggie gyro heaped with feta on Saturday imports from Europe where non-pasteurized cheese is the norm.

I don't know a ton about raw milk/cheese, but from what I've read, it's not any less safe than it's pasteurized counterpart. The way our food is grown/produced in this country (the horrible conditions) means we can get sick from eating just about anything, so why set limits on cheese? Or deli meat?

I'd drink raw milk if I could get it easily here, but unfortunately, I can't. It is easy to find milk without rBGH & rBST, thankfully, even though I live in St. Louis, home base of the lovely Monsanto. I'm sure they're pushing legislation right now to keep those labels off milk like they are in so many other states.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#24 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

i believe that women in other countries do eat their traditional foods, including unpasturized dairy.

i've been eating raw dairy this whole time and have had no trouble at all. it's good.

i do also have some pasturized stuff (cheese slices to melt and make grilled cheese sandwiches), but i prefer raw.
#25 of 30 Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
I always wondered about that tossed salad and scrambled eggs line from Frasier? LMAO!
That's way too funny!... I'd never really thought about that line before. Strange.
#26 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 AM

i give up booze and thats it, i didnt smoke or do drugs before this so i didnt have to give that up... other than that i do everything else the same.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#27 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

since i don't drink, etc, i didn't have to give those things up either.

also, my MIL has been hounding me about different stuff (all the news about what women should and shouldn't eat/do/etc), and with vitamins especially.

finally, i told her--"look, there are women in developing nations who have limited access to a variety of foods, are probably living sub-calorically, and also do not take prenatal vitamins. and yet their children have no birth defects and are beautiful and healthy.

so, perhaps you could just recognize that i'm eating very well, good high quality foods in good quantity, and that it's diverse and nutrient rich, and so perhaps i'll be able to have a healthy baby--just like those "poor women in other countries" who don't have the basic advantages that i do?"

she pretty much backed off now.
#28 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM

I broke down and went to Jersey Mike's yesterday and had a turkey sub that was so wonderful. I mean they finish slice the turkey when you order but it was sooooooo freeaking gooooooodddddd.....

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#29 of 30 Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM

I haven't really given up anything. If I feel like eating a deli meat sammy, I eat one. If I feel like having a glass of wine, I drink one. I've never eaten sushi, so I don't have to worry about that, and I don't like soft cheeses like feta, but if I did, I'd eat those too. I'm livin' on the edge....!
#30 of 30 Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 PM

I'm also not in your DDC, (but I *know* this baby's coming in August), but I just broke down and got some raw milk from our local farm. They're antibiotic and hormone free, grass fed and finished Black Angus. They're the only meat source I will eat from (even pre-pregnant) because I've seen their milking and slaughtering practices first-hand - in fact, they encourage their customers to do so.

Back to my main point - women have been drinking raw milk for eons. I honestly think that raw milk (as long as it's from a trusted source) is extremely healthy for a pregnant woman. I just wish I could completely convince DH about that. When he saw the milk in the fridge, I told him I wanted it and that was the end of the discussion. He wisely said nothing, but I know that he has some issue with the whole "raw" thing. We drank this milk for over two years before I got pregnant and never got sick, so why would I get sick now?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page