do we have a name thread yet? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MySunflowerBoys!

Your post killed me! We have an "A" child and an "S" child and I am having the same concerns about a second "S" name. DH thinks I'm crazy, so it made my day to hear that someone else worries about this stuff!
FWIW, if you are really, really attached to the name "Sebastian," I would go for it. Just don't put them in "A-S-S" order in the holiday card pictures and 99% of people won't ever notice!

We just found out we're having another boy, so that's narrowed the name field a little but we're still floundering.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#62 of 103 Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM

We picked these a few weeks ago and still love them. Three of the four names are family names so I figured they would stick. We don't know for sure yet but I think we're having a boy. I don't have an u/s even scheduled so, so far I guess we're just going to be surprised!

Boy: Sebastian Adam
Girl: Darbie Mae

I've been in love w/ the name Sebastian since The Never Ending Story from my childhood. I'm thrilled to finally get to use it this time around!
#63 of 103 Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
MySunflowerBoys!

Your post killed me! We have an "A" child and an "S" child and I am having the same concerns about a second "S" name. DH thinks I'm crazy, so it made my day to hear that someone else worries about this stuff!
FWIW, if you are really, really attached to the name "Sebastian," I would go for it. Just don't put them in "A-S-S" order in the holiday card pictures and 99% of people won't ever notice!

We just found out we're having another boy, so that's narrowed the name field a little but we're still floundering.
Ha ha! I am sooo glad I'm not the only that wonders about stuff like that! Well, turns out we don't get to use either boy name.... Having a girl!! Woot!

I'll just will have to enjoy hearing about your Sebastians!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#64 of 103 Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 PM

hi there,

lovely names!

...we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, but I would like to do something that would honour my dad, Leo.

I really like the names Linnet and Lynnea for a girl...

...for a boy, well, not so sure yet!
#65 of 103 Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_girl View Post
hi there,

lovely names!

...we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl, but I would like to do something that would honour my dad, Leo.

I really like the names Linnet and Lynnea for a girl...

...for a boy, well, not so sure yet!
Interesting that if the baby's born in the first part of August that he/she will be born under the Leo sign ....
#66 of 103 Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama parrot View Post
I am pretty set on Leah Marie (Lee-ah) for a girl and we have no idea what our boy name will be. My husband is pretty set on having his middle name be danger but that is NOT going to happen

Meredyth0315 - my son's name is Elias and I *LOVE* his name! Its a good choice IMO

Ha! My brother (17yo) swears that when he has a son his middle name will be Danger. I would put money on it too, that is just the kind of person he is.

People mentioned Miles and August. My best friend's little boy is Miles August. He was born in April. August is a family name though.
My name is April and I was born in June. . I think you should just use what you love.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#67 of 103 Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Okay, now that we know we're having a boy we're leaning towards Sergei Aristotle. I'm not a huge fan of the Aristotle but it's a middle name so I'm not arguing, especially since Sergei is the name that I wanted.

If not Sergei it'll be Zion Sage. But I love the name Sergei and won't likely give it up.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#68 of 103 Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our boy name is Cedar Jude. For girl names we like : Amara, Lily, Mia, Chloe, Annalisa. I don't know what we'll pick if it's a girl.

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

#69 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 AM

I like Zion and Cedar....I haven't thought much for girls names as I am convinced this is a boy....I too have been thinking of Leo for a family member but I might end up with a virgo leo....

8 might be enough
#70 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 PM

double post
#71 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM

popping in from sept ddc!

more B names...

Bethany
Bethan (pronounced Beth Anne, Welsh)
Brodie
Bettany

cant think of any thats not been already said..

i have completely lost all interest in names now, there are a few names i like but nothing i LOVE iyswim, and my DH likes so few names its so infuriating. names he used to like with prev pg's he know announces he deosnt like them.he wants the name Ivor for a boy and i HATE it. i think i shall wait until after we find out the sex (28/04) and then get on with it properly.
middle name if its a boy will be William though, and maybe Violet for a girl MN.
#72 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 PM

i've jsut been using that nymbler website and typed in my DD2's name and apparently its never been in the popular names list. i'm quite proud, lol. its Pippa, didnt think it was THAT unusual.
#73 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM

We have some friends with a Pippa, short for Philippa. I've always thought it was a great name!

I'm all Nymblered out. I keep getting the same suggestions, over and over. I guess I've narrowed it down to what KIND of names I like, without finding the right name yet!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#74 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 PM

i just looked DD1's name and that was most popular in 1947, her name is Kitty. neither of them are Philippa or Katherine, just the shortened versions.

the other girls name i am thinking of hasnt been on the record list either. havent run it by DH yet as he's away. suspect he'll dislike it tho, as he does most of my suggestions.
#75 of 103 Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 PM

I got to stay away from baby books...
I was looking at the bookstore...
I found Quest...I don't know why but I liked it it seems like a middle name though...

8 might be enough
#76 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 AM

"Boy names are tough!! We know the MN's will be Basil William for grandparents, but that's it."

Boy names *are* difficult!-- An aside, I knew a guy named Herb and we used to call him "sweet basil."

For a girl we are set on Evelyn Rose. For a boy, totally stumped. All the names I love, DH "uses his veto power" on. The only boy name we ever agreed on was Henrik, which I was totally excited about. Every time we told someone that name, though, people looked at us funny like "is that even a name?"

*Sigh*

Other hockey fans will be familiar with the name Henrik (go Rangers!), it is appropriate for us because DH is Swedish. MIL says it sounds "too ethnic." What do you guys think?

I also really like Elijah, Ethan and Issac. DH says no to those. We can't agree.

I hope it's a girl, because I LOVE the girls name we have!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#77 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 AM

I think the best girl's B name is Bianca. It's pretty and I like the character from Taming of the Shrew. This is just my opinion, though.

Also, Beverly? Barbara? Bernice?

I knew a lady named Bobka, and whoa is that an interesting name!

That's rough, the B's. Why does it have to start with B, just 'cause everyone else's does? Maybe this girl is just different!

#78 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 AM

lol I am thinking Fox....sorry bit of an xphile

8 might be enough
#79 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 AM

Fox, x files, love it. David Douchuvney, love him! I want to have his alien baby!
#80 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 AM

If I told you what my last name was you would probably ROTFLOL

8 might be enough
#81 of 103 Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM

I'm impressed by how much progress folks have made already. We're still in the mulling stage. Our process is potentially complicated by needing to choose a Hebrew name and an "everyday" name, unless we manage to settle on a Hebrew name that we both like so much that it will serve for everyday & religious use. We're not finding out the gender in advance though, so we may ultimately need to choose 4 names to have ready to go (Hebrew/everyday for boy or girl).

We've made some progress on the Hebrew name front, but not on the everyday...the list still needs more review & modification (esp. the girl list), but so far we're agreeing on:

Boy
Ilan ("tree")
Noam ("sweetness, friendship")
Yaron ("to sing")

Girl
Hadass or Hadassah ("myrtle tree")
Ophira ("gold")
Serafina ("to burn")
Shifra ("beautiful")
Shulamit ("peace")
Simcha ("joy")

Anyway...we have quite a bit of work to do on this, still.

Warm regards,
nk
#82 of 103 Old 03-31-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

Other hockey fans will be familiar with the name Henrik (go Rangers!), it is appropriate for us because DH is Swedish. MIL says it sounds "too ethnic." What do you guys think?
I love the name Henrik! When I lived in Germany, I had a good friend named Henrik.
#83 of 103 Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

For a girl we are set on Evelyn Rose. For a boy, totally stumped. All the names I love, DH "uses his veto power" on.
This is how we would up with an Evelyn! (though we call her Evvie-combo of her first and MN-Pixie)-and we LOVE the name-it's not common but it's not really out there either. Good choice!

We are still stuck on the boy's name...we both really like Dylan (Welsh name, we like Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan too...) but are worried about the 90210 connection. DH can't shake the "dude" connection.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#84 of 103 Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
This is how we would up with an Evelyn! (though we call her Evvie-combo of her first and MN-Pixie)-and we LOVE the name-it's not common but it's not really out there either. Good choice!

We are still stuck on the boy's name...we both really like Dylan (Welsh name, we like Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan too...) but are worried about the 90210 connection. DH can't shake the "dude" connection.
Aww! We just found out today that it's a girl and we're going to name her Evelyn Rose, I can tell that the name fits her even now! I'm in love with the name. Maybe our dd's can start an Evelyn club.

We have a Dylan in our family. I have NO idea about the 90210 connection (maybe I'm too young?), I thought it was a pretty cool name. I always liked the nick name "Dill" for Dylan. Because I think food nick names are too cute.

#85 of 103 Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Now that we know its a boy, we've been giving this a lot of thought lately.. our last name is difficult, its three syllables and starts with F and ends with an "eee" sound. So most names that end with the same eee sound are out.

Anyway, orginally I thought to name him Jack after my maternal grandfather who was my favorite person in the world, but it just seems so common and also not GREAT with our last name..

So more recently I've been thinking maybe jackson with the nickname Jax, but husband doesn't like Jackson so much. He likes Jake, but I think that's almost as common and isn't the same name as my grandfather, so I don't see the point.

We also like Cole, but I at least want to use jack as the middle name and cole jack doesn't sound good, that's like lojack!

I really love the name phoenix, particularly the aliteration with our last name, but its a little out there (which doesn't really bother me too much) and also has no good nickname.

I also like Cash, but Cash Jack is also pretty bad..so yeah, you could say we're undecided!
#86 of 103 Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM

I think Phoenix is an awesome name because of the meaning behind it, it also sounds very poetic. I don't think it's very out-there. It's also the name of a city, and people name their boys Austin and Dallas all the time.

Something that sounds like Phoenix that isn't as "out there" is Felix. Nicknames don't always have to be related directly to the name. I personally like names that can't be shortened. There's nothing worse than an upstanding name like Richard being shortened to Dick, for example.

You could also use Jackson as the middle name instead of Jack. Cole Jackson isn't too bad. Cole Jack makes me think of colby-jack cheese.

Just some friendly suggestions. Boys names are so hard!

#87 of 103 Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 AM

I have a long LONG list of names, but Violet keeps coming to mind. I really like it, but am wondering if it is (or will be) too popular?
My son's name is Tenzin and it's really great that he is the only Tenzin on our island. When people say his name everyone knows who they are talking about.
Other than Violet I am in love with "L" names.
My first choice is Lily, but I know that is way too popular now.
Liliya? Lilika? Lula?
Others I like
Talula, Ivy and Tavia
Middle name will probably be Joy after my mum and last is Travis (sorry no sounds like..)
Any suggestions??
whew, choosing a name is SO hard!
#88 of 103 Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UllaBulla View Post
I have a long LONG list of names, but Violet keeps coming to mind. I really like it, but am wondering if it is (or will be) too popular?
My son's name is Tenzin and it's really great that he is the only Tenzin on our island. When people say his name everyone knows who they are talking about.
Other than Violet I am in love with "L" names.
My first choice is Lily, but I know that is way too popular now.
Liliya? Lilika? Lula?
Others I like
Talula, Ivy and Tavia
Middle name will probably be Joy after my mum and last is Travis (sorry no sounds like..)
Any suggestions??
whew, choosing a name is SO hard!
what about Lyla

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#89 of 103 Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 AM

I havn't really looked into names yet but i've had the name Shealey or Shealynne Bess has been stuck in my head for a few years now. I also thought about Jaeli(jay-lee) but i think it sounds to much like jelly, lol
Ds is Malachi Asa so i'm thinking maybe another hebrew name for a boy.
#90 of 103 Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your input holothuroidea!

I agree about the meaning behind it.. aside from the rising from the ashes thing I read somewhere that the phoenix was somehow connected with the sun by the ancient egyptians, and since the baby will be a Leo (in all likelihood) which is ruled by the sun, I also thought that was a nice tie in.

About the nickname thing, I worry that kids will call him Phee Phee or something! (Also, good nicknames are a convenience for the parents too). I was thinking that if H'es named Phoenix Jack, if we really wanted to call him something short we could still call him Jax, which sort of fuxes the jack with the x in phoenix. I think my husband thinks that's too obcure of a reference, but I'm sure we could make it stick if we wanted too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page