Anyone else seeing a Chiropractor? My first appointment was today - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never seen a chiropractor before but my MW recommended it since I have been having horrible lower back pain (and also neck pain lately). ESPECIALLY when I do basically anything other than sit around:. So I went with her suggested guy (she delivered his youngest baby at home so she knows the family also) and it was actually an amazing experience!

He found AND showed me that one hip is actually 1/2in higher than the other. My whole pelvis is out of alignment causing my spine to be like a C shape and then causing the pain in my neck. My MW and also the chiropractor think this misalignment was caused during my last birth (I also agree). I had pain in the SAME spot in my back for about 6-9mths after my DD was born 2yrs ago. The pain went away on its own but returned almost the minute the relaxin hormone kicked in this pregnancy and I started showing. He said this sort of misalignment is REALLY common in woman who have birthed before and it can cause a baby to turn breech or some other suboptimal presentation since my uterus is not allowed to be in its optimal shape and positions due to tense back mussels and hip/spine shape. It was a very interesting conversation.

He did some adjusting and like MAGIC he actually made some of the pain disappear! I am going back once this week and twice next week. Then we are going to see how I feel and how my body is responding before we schedule another appointment.

Just thought I would share since I NEVER thought about going to a chiropractor before my MW suggested and then after that it took over a month for me to even schedule an appointment. So far it seems to be going well. I have to Ice my back 3 times a day for 20mins and also apply Arnica gel 3-4 times/day to my back.

I hope that in a few weeks I will be standing tall again

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#2 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM

I'm glad you're getting some relief from your pain. I started seeing a chiropractor who specializes in prenatal & infant chiropractic, and it's made a difference for me as well. It's helped to relieve some lower back pain that cropped up about a month ago, and it also helps with the hip pain & stiffness that seems to have cropped up roughly around the same time. I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable without it...I'm glad my friend suggested I give this chiropractor a try.

Warm wishes,
nk
#3 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Sounds wonderful to find a solutions to your pain! My tailbone is causing me pain but I don't have a recommendation for a good chiropractor near me. I'll have to ask around more. I have to do something though as going from sitting to standing is quite uncomfortable.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#4 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 AM

My whole family, me, hubby and my 2 kids are receiving chiro treatments. My daughter's ear infections are gone for good! My daughter's strange skin rash is vanishing as well. My husband's migraines are still in the works since he has them since I can remember, so there is a lot of that stuff accumulated lol I wanted to get chiro treatments because of my pregnancy, I had treatments with my second child and it made a big difference. Less pelvic pain to none, less lower back pain to none, I actually enjoy pregnancy to the fullest with my weekly alignment. I have to say, we all love getting aligned My newborn baby will be aligned hopefully the first day of life.

I think everyone should try it. Stress and the daily life can really stress our spine. Including birth! Everyone including a newborn, suffers from a subluxation and we need to correct it by chiropractice. If we do, our bodies will work properly including handling well with infections and diseases. This is what I have learned through research though...

Good for you that you are getting treated!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#5 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 AM

I hope that you feel better! I'm so glad that all of these options are available to us. I've never tried chiropractic treatment myself, but I've never had back pain. Oh! I hope I didn't jinx it! *fingers crossed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
I think everyone should try it. Stress and the daily life can really stress our spine. Including birth! Everyone including a newborn, suffers from a subluxation and we need to correct it by chiropractice. If we do, our bodies will work properly including handling well with infections and diseases. This is what I have learned through research though...
The scientist in me is screaming. The links you provided are riddled with false information, including "All body functions are controlled by the brain sending and receiving messages over nerves." It is also full of coercive and deceptive wording. Including, "Subluxations are a serious threat to your newborn's health."

Research requires peer-reviewed, unbiased sources! They are out there.

I'm not making a case against chiropractic therapy. In fact, I'm all for it! My problem is only that the links you provided don't seem credible to me. I'm worried about mistruths that spread so easily in our culture.

/rant

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#6 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 AM

I have been seeing a chiro since November for neck pain and lower back. My sciatica has decreased as well. I go weekly.

''''

#7 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM

I love my chiropractor. I see him regularly, and I take all of my kids starting shortly after birth. You would be amazed at how much a newborn's spine is out of whack after working its way through the birth canal! My kids sleep extremely well after being adjusted. My 3 yo fell down the stairs a few months ago, and he asked, "Mommy, take me to Dr. Jones so he can spin my head around and make it feel all better." He also loves the chiro.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#8 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
The scientist in me is screaming. The links you provided are riddled with false information, including "All body functions are controlled by the brain sending and receiving messages over nerves." It is also full of coercive and deceptive wording. Including, "Subluxations are a serious threat to your newborn's health."

Research requires peer-reviewed, unbiased sources! They are out there.

I'm not making a case against chiropractic therapy. In fact, I'm all for it! My problem is only that the links you provided don't seem credible to me. I'm worried about mistruths that spread so easily in our culture.

/rant
I provided those links because it is pretty much exactly what I have been explained in other chiro offices. I have seen 2 so far but sticking to my last one since she is all holistic approached. I guess that at some extend they could be a threat but not in a general view?!? I must agree that the wording may cause confusion?!? I have to admit that my whole family handles infections or viruses differently now, or even better... we rarely get sick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
My 3 yo fell down the stairs a few months ago, and he asked, "Mommy, take me to Dr. Jones so he can spin my head around and make it feel all better." He also loves the chiro.
that's adorable!!! how awesome, even kids will tell the difference! my daughters call them 'pop-up'

Also holothuroidea!

I found my doctor's site!!!
http://www.furshman-davischiro.com/children.html with an article about kids probably this might be a better source? dunno...

#9 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm glad you're feeling better. You've encouraged me to seek out a prenatal chiropractor because I've been experiencing hip pain that keeps me on my bum at least 3/4 of the day! :UGH! I do need help. I wonder if it is a nerve thing or an alignment thing, only one way to find out I suppose.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#10 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM

I started seeing a chiro last month, I plan to go once a month and then once a week in my final month until I deliver. My last labor was 36 hours with 3 plus hours of pushing. I had xrays done after the birth and the left side of my pelvis is higher then my right, which would be a reason why my labor was so long and DS had a tough time getting out.

I wanted to get early chiro care this time to keep myself aligned in hopes it helps give me an easier labor and help with the stiffness I get regularly in my lower back. I also started prenatal yoga to hopefully get my back stronger, I do notice a BIG difference adding these two things to my pregnancy this time.
#11 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Isra* View Post
I started seeing a chiro last month, I plan to go once a month and then once a week in my final month until I deliver. My last labor was 36 hours with 3 plus hours of pushing. I had xrays done after the birth and the left side of my pelvis is higher then my right, which would be a reason why my labor was so long and DS had a tough time getting out.

I wanted to get early chiro care this time to keep myself aligned in hopes it helps give me an easier labor and help with the stiffness I get regularly in my lower back. I also started prenatal yoga to hopefully get my back stronger, I do notice a BIG difference adding these two things to my pregnancy this time.
Wow interesting story! This sounds alot like mine. I had the WORST back labor, actually ONLY back labor the entire time. The pain after birth persisted for months in the same spot as the back labor and had returned this pregnancy. Also the chiro said I have one hip higher than the other. Interesting.

How long have you been seeing the chiro? and doing the yoga? I have been thinking about starting yoga (but what has been holding me back is the fact that actually I took it about 3 different times in my life with different instructors and never enjoyed it AT ALL. I loved pilaties but never could get into yoga. I might have to look around my area to see what is available.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#12 of 22 Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 PM

YAY!!! I'm so glad it helped you. I love my chiropractor. I see him almost weekly lately.
#13 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

That's a great idea. I might go see one around month 7 or 8 to help prepare me for birth. thanks for ideas, ladies

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#14 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM

I started seeing a chiropractor after my first daughter was born. She adjusted my daughter who was not sleeping well or eating on one side and she wass better almost immediately. Then she started adjusting DH and I. I felt a little better, but she just wasn't the right chiro for me. I need a firm hand because I am so out of whack. I found a new chiropractor about a month ago and he is INCREDIBLE! I actually feel relief when I go see him and I am hoping I wo'nt have the almost crippling pelvic pain I had in the last trimester of my last pregnancy!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#15 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becomingme View Post
I'm glad you're getting some relief from your pain. I started seeing a chiropractor who specializes in prenatal & infant chiropractic, and it's made a difference for me as well.

nk
General question, do you need to see somebody who specializes in prenatal chiro or do all chiropractors know how to work with a pregnant gal?

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#16 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykilbo View Post
General question, do you need to see somebody who specializes in prenatal chiro or do all chiropractors know how to work with a pregnant gal?
If they adjust the neck area only they can adjust anyone! We get adjusted on the neck area only. That's all you need. I used to get adjusted all over and it wasn't doing much.

#17 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
How long have you been seeing the chiro? and doing the yoga? I have been thinking about starting yoga (but what has been holding me back is the fact that actually I took it about 3 different times in my life with different instructors and never enjoyed it AT ALL. I loved pilaties but never could get into yoga. I might have to look around my area to see what is available.
I just started prenatal yoga, I find the prenatal instructors and the class in general so much more inviting then a regular yoga class. There is also prenatal pilates if that's better for you, anything to give you strength and flexibility will help I'm sure. The chiro I just started up again with this pregnancy.

Quote:
I am seeing someone who specializes in pregnant women, she adjusts my lower back too, which for me, is essential. It just depends what you're getting done.
#18 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Isra* View Post
I am seeing someone who specializes in pregnant women, she adjusts my lower back too, which for me, is essential. It just depends what you're getting done.
I was taught differently though...
http://www.furshman-davischiro.com/questions.html#Neck

#19 of 22 Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My chiro does not specialize in prenatal. He adjusts my entire spine. He has a table that lowers in the middle to allow room for my expanding tummy.

''''

#20 of 22 Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
There is research on everything I guess, but individuals have different needs. I know, for me, there is no way simply adjusting my neck will help me without doing my lower back also. In fact, I sometimes tell her not to do my neck as it's just my lower back that gets misaligned. I don't believe any research is all inclusive of everyone. JMO
#21 of 22 Old 04-05-2008, 12:37 PM

I used to suffer from lower back pains though with my first I gained 75 lbs in less than 9 months so that put so much pressure on my lower back. I have to admit that since I started doing neck adjustments the pain has gone even though I am preggy now, I don't get lower back pain anymore. My midwife was the one who recommended me to her and she suffered from sciatica until she met this lady, it's been one year without pain. My chiro doesn't do massages either. She only does the neck adjustments together with an infrared paraspinal scan on every visit before the adjustment to know how I am progressing. What she says is that by focusing only on the neck, the neck will send the signal to the rest of the spine creating a self-healing throughout the spine. I guess every doctor is different. I had a chiro with my second child and she used to do lower back also, but this doctor wasn't so holistic like the one I have now that's why I love her so much

#22 of 22 Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 PM

not in your DDC, although I'm due in late July...so I lurk

Anyway, I've been continuously seeing a chiro for a year and half (basically because we found out our ins covers it without limits yes, I know-we're really lucky) So when I got pregnant, he was the first to know! He adjusts my neck and back (he's trained in the Palmer school of chiro), and I couldn't be more thankful. My ligaments are starting to stretch out and my posture is changing into more of a swayback, so after my last appt Thursday, he told me he'd like to see me twice a week to do more muscle work, adjustments, and to keep me in line as much as possible. He did chiro for his wife during her last pregnancy, and her birth process was much easier for her then than her previous 2 (he also acted as her doula, and would NOT let anyone do any unnecessary interventions).

He also told us about how honored he was to do a baby's first adjustment in the hospital a day after birth recently.

But there are many trains of thought in chiro--you just have to find what works for you!

Come ponder with me about food!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page